Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Gas resistant clearcoat 03 Jun 2009 10:54 #296021

• Mp3z24
  • Mp3z24's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I recently repainted a KZ650 using Duplicolor metallic paint and Duplicolor clear coat. Subsequently, I also found out that Duplicolor is not fuel resistant. :angry: I know, I should have done my research first. I really only damaged the paint/clear around the petcock... due to a bad petcock o-ring (but that's another problem). So I will have to patch up the paint down there.

Anyway, in my online searching (after the fact) I found Spray Max 2K Clearcoat, which is fuel resistant. Can I leave the Duplicolor clear that is already on the parts, and shoot the Spraymax 2k on top of it?
see link: www.eastwood.com/spray-max-2k-high-gloss-clearcoat-aerosol.html

Basically, I'm just trying to get this done right so I can sell it off, and give the next owner something that isn't going to go to sh~! once a few weeks have passed.

~mike
2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
1978 Kawasaki KZ1000
1977 Kawasaki KZ650 (for sale soon)
1975 Kawasaki Z1
1974 Honda CB450

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Mp3z24. Reason: include eastwood link

Gas resistant clearcoat 03 Jun 2009 11:22 #296026

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225
"Duplicolor metallic paint and Duplicolor clear coat"...

As you mentioned, unfortunately you didn't do your research for this has been stated numerous times here in the forums.... CAN clear coats just don't hold up against fuel, oil, brake fluids etc... I tried several brands, some held up better than others but ALL truly failed...

Regarding "Spray Max 2K Clearcoat"... Not trying to insult you but didn't you learn anything about can clears? :whistle:

I haven't used this product but I'd bet a beer now, same issues where probably better but nowhere as good as recommended 2 or 3 part automotive clears..

Do yourself a favor... 2 part Sherwin Williams clear with a Preval Paint unit or compressor sparyer and be done with it...

Just my two cents...

OMR
1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

Gas resistant clearcoat 03 Jun 2009 12:43 #296041

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
The Eastwood stuff says it a 2-part, and mixed in the can as you spray. Once it's opened it goes hard in 24hours. I would try it for the $20 they want for it.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Gas resistant clearcoat 03 Jun 2009 13:50 #296046

• Mp3z24
  • User
OMR, its listed as a 2-part clear. did you go to the link?

i admitted my failure in the original post, now, back to the original question... can i spray over an existing clear coat?

~mike
2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
1978 Kawasaki KZ1000
1975 Kawasaki Z1
1974 Honda CB450

Last edit: by Mp3z24.

Gas resistant clearcoat 03 Jun 2009 15:54 #296087

• arai59
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1
whow boy.......not yet.:laugh: Sorry for your paint problems. I too use Duplicolor and have had a big disasterd happen. If your selling it I wouldn't bother. You'll probably complicate things by putting more paint on.

Gas resistant clearcoat 04 Jun 2009 05:34 #296244

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225
Mp3z24... Seriously wasn't trying to insult you but use the forum search and you'll find several postings on can clear with a breakable hardner etc.... They all posted where the results were crap....

As for going to the site and reviewing their sales write up, well hell that's called marketing, they all say that....

I tried several can clears where I tested with gasoline and some did ok but not without some funky results where you could see degradation. The only thing I did find pass the test was a true 2/3 part automotive clear.

Same time, as mentioned Kent, for $20, give it a test and let us all know how it works out for theirs always new brands/technology that come to the market and that's what where here for right, passing along new finds as well as KZ stuff..

Definitely keep us informed... B)

EDIT:
"can i spray over an existing clear coat?" I'd at least wet sand it down then re-shoot your clear coats...

Just my two cents...
1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

Last edit: by Old Man Rock.

Gas resistant clearcoat 04 Jun 2009 05:45 #296245

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
Contact Eastwood & ask them. They should be able to give you an answer. I contacted DupliColor about the compatibility of acrylic-lacquers & enamels: they stated that you can spray enamel over cured acrylic-lacquer but not the other way around. I'd guess that the SprayMax is a urethane - just a guess.
Attachments:

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

Gas resistant clearcoat 04 Jun 2009 11:13 #296301

• Mp3z24
  • User
Old Man Rock wrote:

Mp3z24... Seriously wasn't trying to insult you but use the forum search and you'll find several postings on can clear with a breakable hardner etc.... They all posted where the results were crap....

As for going to the site and reviewing their sales write up, well hell that's called marketing, they all say that....

I tried several can clears where I tested with gasoline and some did ok but not without some funky results where you could see degradation. The only thing I did find pass the test was a true 2/3 part automotive clear.

Same time, as mentioned Kent, for $20, give it a test and let us all know how it works out for theirs always new brands/technology that come to the market and that's what where here for right, passing along new finds as well as KZ stuff..

Definitely keep us informed... B)

EDIT:
"can i spray over an existing clear coat?" I'd at least wet sand it down then re-shoot your clear coats...

Just my two cents...

yeah, i know you weren't trying to insult me. just got the impression that you told me exactly what i owned up to in the original post. anyway, its done... moving on.

im probably going to buy some of the spraymax and try it... whats the worst that happens? i ruin the paint. so what. its already been stripped and repainted once since i've had it.

i'll report back on the clear coat. if i have enough left over, i may do a mini torture test on it. who knows, it might actually do what they claim.

~mike
2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
1978 Kawasaki KZ1000
1975 Kawasaki Z1
1974 Honda CB450

Gas resistant clearcoat 04 Jun 2009 11:22 #296304

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
  • Thank you received: 18
I used the duplicolor chameleon 3 step paint that came in spray bombs a couple of years ago and it looked good for a while, until the gas got on it then looked like crap.
Does any one know if the duplicolor in one quart cans that you use an automotive spray gun is any more durable. I was hoping that the quart cans of clear are different than the spray bombs and can take a little more abuse. If the two are different then it might be an option, if they are the same then the quart can just will make a bigger disaster.
73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

Gas resistant clearcoat 04 Jun 2009 12:45 #296313

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
Kawickrice wrote:

... Does any one know if the duplicolor in one quart cans that you use an automotive spray gun is any more durable. I was hoping that the quart cans of clear are different than the spray bombs and can take a little more abuse. ...

Not sure what product you're talking about, but their "Paint Shop Finish System" is lacquer, so it probably isn't fuel proof. I'm not a painter or anything, but if a paint isn't a two-part, urethane or for professional use then it won't be fuel resistant.

Call Duplicolor, Eastwood or whoever for technical support.

Gas resistant clearcoat 04 Jun 2009 21:59 #296422

• arai59
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1
Why not contact a professional painter in your area ? I'm sure they can help with some real advise. That way you can learn from others mistakes. Probably save some coin too.

Gas resistant clearcoat 05 Jun 2009 18:33 #296586

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
Mp3z24 wrote:

OMR, its listed as a 2-part clear. did you go to the link?

i admitted my failure in the original post, now, back to the original question... can i spray over an existing clear coat?

~mike

There is no way to know for sure without knowing the characteristics of the two materials. If you have some of the duplicolor, spary it onto a piece of plastic and let it dry and then try a test run with the new clearcoat. Look for signs of cracking, dulling, hazing or lifting.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Page: