Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 23 Jul 2007 21:51 #159107

• Sandy
  • Sandy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Didn't realize it the first time it happened...thought it was bad fuel or something,so We all pulled over and had a smoke,while the bike sat for about 10 minutes.Fire it back up and all is good.
What it was doing,was all of a sudden,it started crapping right out,like it was starving for fuel or like I said,maybe BAD fuel.That was about 3 weeks ago.Once it fired up after letting it sit,there were no issues with it the rest of the way home(over an hour later).

Well on the way home from Spokane this weekend,it started doing it again,sooo...I pulled over into a gas station and let it sit for a while,and then fired it up and all was good.So We get about a block down the road and it started all over again.No power at all,and then every once in a while,spiratically,it would cut in and the bike would run normally,but eventually it just crapped right out,and it was at that point that I thought one of plugs was fouling.
Limp it the rest of the way home,and pull it into the garage.I reach down and pull plugwires 1 while the bike is still running(no change) and then 4(no change) off and no difference at all...there's the culprit!
So this morning I go out and fire it up...and it runs perfectly.
I didn't actually take it out for a ride,but I did let it run in the garage for a few minutes,with no problems.

So I'm wondering if the coil was getting too hot(from the engine and outside temp),and if there's a way to test the coil for heat-failure,with the symptoms given.It does seem to be getting worse though,compared to the first time it happened.
Like I said,when it happened the first time,it ran fine the entire way home.Yesterday?...nope...one block and back to crappola.

These coils are new Dyna coils last year...ish(2.2 ohm)and I'm getting readings of 2.9-3.1 ohms.
Now maybe I'm not testing them properly,but I have the coil off the bike(no wires attached)and touching the probes to the negative and positive sides of the wire terminals...correct?
Secondary test is about 27.68k ohms.

Again...riding the bike,after a while,it will cut out on 1 and 4...let it sit for about 10 minutes and it fires right up and runs fine...for a while then cuts out again.
When it happened the first time(about 3 weeks ago),We had clocked about the same amount of miles as We did the second time it happened(yesterday)...about 3 hours of riding.

Any ideas?
Thanks Gang B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 23 Jul 2007 22:42 #159115

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
You guys have all that money to buy a new set of coils. :P The jet cars are sept. 14th I think.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 23 Jul 2007 22:47 #159116

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
If not already done, might try swapping the coils to see if problem moves to cyl 2/3 (also swap the ign trigger wires). If problem stays on cyl 1/4, the fault might be in the left Dyna-S module (or left condensor) or wiring to the ign trigger.

Good Luck! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 23 Jul 2007 22:48 #159117

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
If you know it was 1&4 cutting out, swap the coils and see if it then happens on 2&3. If so, then it's probably the coil. If the problem stays on 1&4, then it's the ignition (assuming all the wires are in tact).

Patton beat me to the punch by 1min. :pinch:

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/07/24 01:49

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 23 Jul 2007 22:49 #159118

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
donthekawguy wrote:

You guys have all that money to buy a new set of coils. :P The jet cars are sept. 14th I think.

no no no Don...SHEEEE won the money,so She gets it all.If I won the money...well...nevermind,it's too sad of a story,lol.:(
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 23 Jul 2007 22:57 #159119

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
Yes,swapping the coil around.I already talked to Jeff about that,and that's what he said as well,and I knew that was one way of narrowing it down,but I was wondering if Anyone had ever experienced anything similar,and if it WAS due to heat.

Hey...thanks Guys.I'll do that and have it ready for a weekend ride,and see what happens.

Loudhvx...am I testing the primary resistance the correct way Bud?...just to be sure.

I heated the coil with a heatgun to the point where I could still hold it in My hand,and right now,the resistance went from 2.9 to 3.3 ohms.
(The heatgun is off now)

It just now dropped to 3.2...
5 minutes later...3.1
5 minutes later...3.0
Approximately 10 mins later...2.9 ohms

And these are 2.2 ohm coils.

And Patton...it's the Dyna2000 Bud,not the Dyna S.

Post edited by: Sandy, at: 2007/07/24 02:00

Post edited by: Sandy, at: 2007/07/24 02:01

Post edited by: Sandy, at: 2007/07/24 02:09

Post edited by: Sandy, at: 2007/07/24 02:11

Post edited by: Sandy, at: 2007/07/24 02:23
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 23 Jul 2007 23:04 #159120

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Just noticed "Dyna2000" in the signature information.

Am using Dyna-S and don't know much about Dyna2000.

But give loudhvx another minute. :P
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 23 Jul 2007 23:59 #159123

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
If the coils are originally 2.2 ohms, 2.9 ohms is not unreasonable considering some meters can be off by a few tenths of an ohm.

The swap will be the best way to know for sure, but intermittent problems can drive you crazy. Make sure there are no hammers or other blunt instruments around! :laugh:

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 24 Jul 2007 02:35 #159125

• Vancouverkawadude
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I'm new around here. I'm having exactly the same problem, except the cutting out of the 1/4 coil is more intermittent than predictable. it would cut out and back in after a few seconds or not cut back in for some time. I traced it down to the appropriate Dyna S module. I would push on the plate and it would cut out or I would tap the module and it would cut in. You might check this. I don't know what is going on with mine, but I know I'm not happy with the prospect of replacing the whole thing. I wonder if Dyna would sell a single module.

Vancouverkawadude

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 24 Jul 2007 04:44 #159135

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
In other applications of coils, my experience is they sometimes do break down under heat/load.Not unheard of.
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 24 Jul 2007 08:01 #159172

• KaZooCruiser
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Sandy wrote:

. . .had a smoke, while the bike sat for about 10 minutes. Fire it back up and all is good.
Once it fired up after letting it sit,there were no issues with it the rest of the way home(over an hour later). . .this weekend,it started doing it again . . .let it sit for a while,and then fired it up and all was good.

So this morning I go out and fire it up...and it runs perfectly.

So I'm wondering if the coil was getting too hot(from the engine and outside temp),and if there's a way to test the coil for heat-failure,with the symptoms given.It does seem to be getting worse though,compared to the first time it happened.

These coils are new Dyna coils last year...ish(2.2 ohm)and I'm getting readings of 2.9-3.1 ohms.

Again...riding the bike,after a while,it will cut out on 1 and 4...let it sit for about 10 minutes and it fires right up and runs fine...for a while then cuts out again.

When it happened the first time(about 3 weeks ago),We had clocked about the same amount of miles as We did the second time it happened(yesterday)...about 3 hours of riding.

Any ideas?

I have a couple.

I don't think it's your coil.

If you have Dyna triggers, I think you might have a thermal breakdown there causing your issues. Here is what I would suggest for anyone using Dyna triggers.

Go to the nearest Radio Shack or computer store. Get some thermal compound. The good stuff is expensive. I don't think it is the same as dielectric grease, so I wouldn't try to shave the beard off Mr. Lincoln by being a cheap-o-zoid or substituting.

Thermal compound is used between the cooling fan and CPU on computers to heat-sink and draw off heat that will damage electronic components sensitive to it.

You might be able to get it at an auto parts store. It is used under HEI modules.

Pull the triggers, slime the mounting side, remount and retime the bike. If it hasn't been done, it's an area that is always going to be questionable anytime the bike cuts out when hot.

Here's another idea. To isolate a heat-related problem. First, make sure the bike still normally runs well if you squirt water at it. Get it to the point where is cuts out, then direct cold water at different parts of the machine, and then try to start it. I had an old Nissan Sentra that I wasn't sure whether it was the fuel pump or distributor, so cold water was my helper there.

Or, here is another idea. If you are going on a road trip, and haven't isolated the problem yet.

While you are at Radio Shack, you can pick up a can of "dust off." They might have the stuff at Office Depot. Some of the cans will shoot freezy liquid if you spray them upside down. Lou probably knows what I am talking about. It's used to isolate thermal breakdowns at the component level.

Hope you get it figured out.

:cheer:

Added:

One other good idea. . .quit smoking.

:woohoo:

Post edited by: KaZooCruiser, at: 2007/07/24 11:04

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 24 Jul 2007 08:28 #159181

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
Kazoo...I'm liking what You have to say Bud...makes sense I suppose.B)I know about the heat-sink and the CPU units,and how important it is to use it here.

Have You proven this to work on a Dyna system,or are You just comparing a similar situation with maybe an HEI module?

I'd really like to hear more about it Bud.
Thanks a lot for that idea! B)

And thanks a lot to all of You Guys for the replies...right on!

I'll continue with swapping the coils over for now,and I'll get some thermal compound for the pick-ups(triggers).
Thanks again.B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1