Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 07 Aug 2007 20:38 #162398

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
Sandy sorry if i missed it but did u find that the problem stayed with coil 1/4 when u switch coils or did it move to 2/3?
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 07 Aug 2007 21:22 #162413

• Sandy
  • Sandy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
mark1122 wrote:

Sandy sorry if i missed it but did u find that the problem stayed with coil 1/4 when u switch coils or did it move to 2/3?

Didn't get a chance to check it out Mark.When I DID go out for a long ride,it only barely cut out...a slight hesitation,unlike the first and second time it happened,it hung around long ebough to the point where it was only running on 2 cylinders.
Like I said though,I reached over with My left hand when it hesitated,and just kinda tweaked the killswitch.It didn't help right away,because the hesitation had already come and gone,BUT...it certainly wasn't cutting out 2 cyls.
It did happen again later(on the same ride),so I did the same thing with the killswitch,and got the same results.
When it happened a while ago,coming home from Spokane Wa,I rolled it into the garage running on 2,so I got to reach down and pull plug-wires at THAT time,to determine that it was for sure 1 and 4 that had cut out.
So all I can really do,id just get out on the weekend for a good long haul...run it like I normally do(hard!,LOL)and see what it's going to do,now that I'll be bypassing the killswitch.B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 07 Aug 2007 21:46 #162418

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
good luck with it .it will be interesting to see if its the same coil.like u said earlyer it is puzzling that the switch would only afect 1 coil?keep us posted.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 08 Aug 2007 09:44 #162514

• markdavjones
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Sandy, I am following this with interest. This is the exact same problem I am having. I replaced my Dyna coils just over a year ago and I just replaced the Dyna-S ignition and still have the problem. Always seems to be heat related. I'm ordering another coil this week.

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 08 Aug 2007 20:04 #162657

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
Mark,I'll keep posting My findings bud...stay tuned.;)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 09 Aug 2007 10:24 #162785

• markdavjones
  • User
Thanks Sandy, When I get the new coil in I'll let you know the outcome.

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 19 Aug 2007 22:32 #165032

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
Well...went out for a ride yesterday...I switched the coils and wires around to see if it was going to happen to the same coil...it ran like a champ the whole ride...not a long one(50 miles)but it ran great,until I turned to come up My street,and it cut out again on 1 and 4,so it's NOT the coils.
I pulled over and pulled the plug-wires off one at a time on 1 and 4...no change.I shut it off and then restarted it,and there it was running on all 4 again...got it home and parked it.
And the killswitch was bypassed,so that wasn't an issue.
I guess the next step is to get in touch with Dynatech.:whistle:

We've got a toy-run coming up in September,and it would really suck if this happens while out on that ride.

Post edited by: Sandy, at: 2007/08/20 01:59
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 20 Aug 2007 07:55 #165105

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
It could be the pickups or the module, and there's always a chance it could be wiring between the pickups and the module or the wiring between the module and the coils. I think it's time to talk to Dyna, like you said.

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 16 Apr 2008 14:07 #206959

• markdavjones
  • User
Sandy, sorry I've been out of touch for while. Wife in the hospital, moving to new home, life etc. Have you been able to resolve the ignition problems? So far I have replaced both coils and the ignition module (both new Dyna) the plugs and wires, bypassed the kill switch and triple check the wiring for a short somewhere. Took my bike out for ride (about 60 miles) and it ran great the whole way. got about 2 miles from home and did full throttle run and bang, I lost two cylinders again the rest of the way home. Started it up a couple days later and it is firing on all four again. It only happens once I exceed about 7000 to 8000 rpm. If I keep it below that the whole ride I have no problem but once it happens it misses until it has cooled completely. Pulling my hair out! (whats left of it anyway).

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 16 Apr 2008 19:18 #207017

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
Mark(and others) ...sorry I didn't post back on this one.
In MY situation ,Mark,it didn't matter what revs I was doing.It would do it at ANY rpm.But one thing,is that it DID run better(on all 4) after a cool-down.

So after ruling out the coils and kill-switch,I got in touch with Jeff again at Z1(where I purchased it) and HE got in touch with Dyna,and explained to them that I had narrowed it down to either the module or the pick-up plate assembly.
Dyna told Jeff to ship me a new set-up under warranty,which he did.I swapped it all out,and haven't had any issues since.I swapped both components at once,so I can't tell you which one was the culprit.
We did the Toy-Run in September,and it purred like a tiger!:woohoo:

So Mark,it sounds like the only thing left for YOU to check(or replace) is the pick-up plate itself.
Give larry a call at Dyna,and run it by him,if you haven't already

Thanks Larry @ Dyna and thanks Jeff @ Z1!
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Last edit: by Sandy.

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 16 Apr 2008 20:44 #207041

• bill_wilcox100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
I feel for you. First it was my Kill switch, then my Clutch interlock switch, then my Ignition switch, then my fuse holder... Just to much current for old, sorry vintage, contacts. The result was a lot of wrenching pre mile/kilometre. :(

Fortunately, the WG Coil re-powering mod got all that relatively high Coil current out of this old gear and passed it directly through a new automotive relay. :)

Might be time for your vintage machine to get the mod. Could cut back on smoke stops too and that could be a good thing, right. :whistle:

Best of success.
1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

Last edit: by bill_wilcox100.

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 21 Apr 2008 15:59 #208054

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
glad to hear it worked out.i put a new dyna 2000 and coils in last summer . it worked ok but the rev limiter didnt work.i sent it in for testing and they found a problem but not sure if it would affect the rev limiter? we'll see.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)