Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 24 Jul 2007 09:01 #159184

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The DYna S might benefit from thermal compound if there is even a way to get it to where it is needed (which I doubt), but I don't think there is any benefit to it on the Dyna 2000.

The coil drivers (which generate the heat) on the S, are mounted to the pickup plate. But on the 2000, they are in the control box (the box itself is probably the heat sink). So on an S, if you can cool the drivers, it may help. On the 2000, it won't do anything since the heat is coming from the engine. (If anything, it would bring more heat from the engine into the pickups).

If the issue really is heat on the pickups then cooling them with the air-spray may help. Cooling too fast may shatter them, so avoid the liquid-spray method. Also some of the chemicals could damage the pickups so use it sparingly.

Dyna seems to be pretty upstanding in the customer service department, so hopefully they can work with you whether it's the coil or the 2000 unit. Same to Vancouverkawdude, Dyna should be able to help you out if the S is relatively new. Call them and tell them the problem. Obviously it's the busy season for them, so they may take time, but eventually they should be able to help you out.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/07/24 12:08

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 24 Jul 2007 09:19 #159193

• Sandy
  • Sandy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Okayyyy...now THAT sheds some new light on the subject,Loudhvx.
I just pulled the pick-ups and had a look at the backs of them.
Pick-up 1 and 4 has some bubbles on the back,in the sealant material(can't remember what it's called),but then again,the pick-up for 2 and 3 has one bubble that has been sanded flat,and that was obviously done at the factory,so I don't know if that applies...don't think so...take a look.
First pic is 1 and 4

1977 KZ1000 A-1
Attachments:

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 24 Jul 2007 09:19 #159194

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
Pick-up for 2 and 3...

1977 KZ1000 A-1
Attachments:

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 24 Jul 2007 12:23 #159248

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
Well...new finding...
I went to re-install the coil(1 and 4),and when I was tightening the negative wire to it,the screw bottomed out,but the wire connector was still loose,and I mean loose.:ohmy:

This is weird,because I am ANAL when it comes to stuff like this,and I even coated the terminals with liquid black-tape,once everything was buttoned up(original install).I even tried using the screw from the other terminal,but it was doing the same thing.I looked inside the terminal where the screw threads into,thinking maybe something was in ther,but no.
I'm shocked at this...totally shocked!
So I looked in My magnetic tray to see if maybe I DID come across this originally and placed a washer in there to take up the slack,but nothing...only the washers for mounting the coil to the frame of the bike.
So I now have a washer in there to tighten things down.I also checked the other connections on the other coil and all is good.
These are the original screws that CAME with the whole system,too.All are good except for the one.
This is too weird man...too weird.(agree with Me...please!):laugh:

I know for a FACT that I would have made sure that things were all tight.
I bet You Tony was probably phoning Me and blabbing when I was doing all of this,originally(lets blame this on Him,ok).:P

So I'm going to go with it the way it was and see what happens on My next ride.Hopefully that was it.

"Good luck Sandy!"...Thanks Gang!B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 24 Jul 2007 12:43 #159255

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
Nevermind...I found the washers in the parts-tray,so I DID use them originally.I believe they came with the whole system.
DAM,I thought I was on to something here,lol.
Oh well...I'll be switching the plug-leads now,and try it out.:pinch:
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 24 Jul 2007 18:38 #159349

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
Well...switched the coils over,and let it run for about 15 minutes with no issues(and yes,I had TWO fans running in front of it).

I might get out on it tomorrow,and see what happens after a long(er) ride.B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 06 Aug 2007 14:08 #162083

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
Well it looks like My killswitch might have something to do with it.I won't know until I get out again,now that I have the switch bypassed.
The switch was pretty sloppy,and didn't "click" into position.
Has Anyone had any related problems like that,where the killswitch was the culprit?
I find it weird though,that only one side is being affected.(only one coil cuts out)
I switched the coils around,and went out for a ride the other night,and a couple of times,it hesitated,so with My left hand I reached over and tweaked the killswitch a bit.It seemed to help,because before when it would cut right out,it would first hesitate and eventually just crap right out,but it didn't once I touched the switch.
Anyway...I'll have to try it now that I have the switch bypassed,and I'll report back.B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 06 Aug 2007 21:11 #162178

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Sounds like you are having fun with it! :P I'm going to put my coils where the battery goes when I get to that point. My new arm has a battery box in it so I'll have plenty of room and the coils will stay nice and cool.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 07 Aug 2007 05:45 #162206

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Sandy, the secondary resistance you measure sure sounds higher than I recall for a Dyna coil. I suggest you call their tech support and ask them what the normal is.

Second issue is the kill switch... yes, I have seen a problem here quite often. The power for your coils goes through the kill switch. If the owner is in the habit of shutting the bike off using the kill switch, it can wear. If you open it up, you will not that there is a BB that fits in a hole and acts as the detent and the thing that holds the top part of the kill switch in place in conjunction with a spring that also tensions the top part. If you use the switch a lot, you can wear a groove in the bottom part of the kill switch and the switch can get loose where the BB and spring don't hold it firmly. When it loosens, it comes off the contacts that pass the voltage that goes to your coils. If the top part loosens, seems to me you can fix it by using a washer to shim it up some... I haven't looked at one or fixed one for several years but that is my recolllection.

I have seen those kill switches loosen to the point where wind can move them some while riding and the bike would die. I would check the kill switch if in doubt. One way to avoid this from happening is to use the Coil Repowering tip I have on our website but trigger the relay with a wire coming off the ignition switch (switched VDC) BUT not going through the kill switch. The downside is that if the relay were to somehow fail and stay closed, you couldn't kill it using the kill switch; you would have to physically unplug the relay and find a new one for replacement.

I would still call Dynaonline tech support and find out about the secondary resistance you saw.

Last, I would take both coils off and carefully inspect them around the square metal mounts that come out. They usually crack close to these metal mounts, if they crack. The plastic stuff that covers the coil can crack in this area and moisture outside can make them short. This causes the symptoms you describe. The problem is sporadic and you won't see it everytime you ride. I have fixed cracked Dyna coils using JB Weld. Seems to fix the shorting issue permanently.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 07 Aug 2007 17:36 #162308

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
Thanks George.B)
Ya,I have taken the killswitches apart before,and I've also taken this one apart,and yes,it has worn to the point where it's loose,and doesn't,"Click" into positions.
And I DID inspect the coils when I had them off,and saw nothing noticable during the inspection.And don't forget...there's only 1 season on the whole Dyna system.
I'll be ordering a new right-hand control from Jeff,and in the meantime,I'll just bypass the killswitch and check things out on My next ride.
Don't You think it's weird though,that if it IS the ks,why only one coil is affected by it?:huh:

Anyway...thanks again for the help,and as soon as I can get out for a good haul,I'll report back.B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 07 Aug 2007 18:12 #162323

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 181
I do know the Dyna ignitions are very dependant on good power. In talking with Dynatek in the past the biggest cause of failures is ignitions getting spiked with too much voltage (bad regulator). The second cause is too little voltage (bad connections, poor battery and/or a bad regulator / charging system).
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

Dyna coil cutting out from heat? 07 Aug 2007 19:37 #162368

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
I don't think any of that would apply Jeff...new(er) upgraded regulator set-up,and a brand new battery this season.I've had absolutely no sign of the charging system on it's way out.
Everything is working like a champ.

I was just out in the garage,looking at how I'm going to tie the 2 ks wires together without the worry of them shorting out on the handlebars,because the part of the switch that they connected to come out in about 5 pieces.
Looks like I'll be screwing them together(hit them both with scotchbrite first),and I guess I'll be wrapping them up good with some black tape or something.
1977 KZ1000 A-1