Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Aldor Smart Plugs 06 Jul 2007 05:46 #155045

• Wild and KZ Guy
  • Wild and KZ Guy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Has anyone tried Aldor Smart Plugs? Supposedly, they fire in oil, and are self cleaning. My bike fouls plugs enough to where they misfire and need cleaning or replacing; My engine is 30 yrs old w/26000 miles on it, so I'm sure the rings, valves etc are worn. But I'm not gonna do any major engine work, and this seems like a good quick fix.
Not looking for advice/diagnosis here, just want to know if these plugs work as advertised. Thanks!

Here is the link from Aldor:
www.aldor-sparkplugs.com/11001.html?*ses...ey*=*session*id*val*
Here is a link to buy them (approx $10 for 2)
www.autobarn.net/smartplug.html
Here is the story on them:
www.ytmag.com/ttalk/messages/359695.html

Post edited by: Wild and KZ Guy, at: 2007/07/06 08:49
A couple of Old School Minibikes
1980 LTD KZ650 E1
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Aldor Smart Plugs 06 Jul 2007 06:04 #155049

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
  • Thank you received: 11
Sounds like snake oil to me but it will only cost you $20.00 to find out if I'm wrong.:P
Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

Aldor Smart Plugs 06 Jul 2007 06:36 #155059

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I just read the cut sheet, it says the electrode is made of Inconel to resist gas and oil corrosion,

I dont think so, the inconel has a lot of chrome and nickel in it, the metal was designed for down hole use to resist heat its still going to foul just like any other plug, the key is the high output ignition that is what makes the plug fire
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Aldor Smart Plugs 06 Jul 2007 07:35 #155069

• Snakebyte
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Mine used to foul spark plugs every 750 miles till I got a electronic ignition and dyna coils. Now my spark plugs accually show signs of wear on the electrode before I replace the plugs.:)

Aldor Smart Plugs 06 Jul 2007 08:52 #155083

• Virii
  • User
  • I like cheese
Yeah, I don't know that I'm really buying it as a stopgap for any problems you may have.

If one really wanted to spend money on fancy plugs, I'd go with the NGK irridium's. If you look around, you'll find them for $6 each easily and you'll at least be able to ensure you're still in the right heat range.

I know, you said you don't want advise. Take it as....personal opinion? :laugh:

Post edited by: Virii, at: 2007/07/06 11:56
Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

Aldor Smart Plugs 06 Jul 2007 09:28 #155100

• Snakebyte
  • User
Actually probobly the best plugs are silver core. They have the least resistance, but have a $15 tag on them.
The next best would just be copper core. I would stick with ngk plugs.

All the other plugs with iridium and platinum they just last longer thats all no real increase of spark energy.

Aldor Smart Plugs 06 Jul 2007 09:33 #155104

• BSKZ650
  • User
Snakebyte wrote:

Actually probobly the best plugs are silver core. They have the least resistance, but have a $15 tag on them.
The next best would just be copper core. I would stick with ngk plugs.

All the other plugs with iridium and platinum they just last longer thats all no real increase of spark energy.

you are right, the plug just fires the ignition makes the spark, and the only way to change it would be to have less resistance along the way
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Aldor Smart Plugs 06 Jul 2007 09:42 #155106

• Virii
  • User
  • I like cheese
Snakebyte wrote:

...and I'm really not interested in paying $15 a piece for plugs, particularly when I have to buy four of them!
Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

Aldor Smart Plugs 06 Jul 2007 10:06 #155112

• Wild and KZ Guy
  • User
These are the claims they're making:
ALDOR's thermo reactor head produces an Ultra Thrust Ignition that provides *faster starting, *newfound power, *increased fuel economy while at the same time *reducing emissions. Our plugs are fully automatic and adjust to spark demand while each cylinder is firing. The voltage increase to the spark plugs tip is varable from 3% to a maximum of 40% as necessary, thus the name "SMART PLUG" . The smart gap burns off excess carbon deposits that may form at the tip of the plug resulting in smoother operation. ALDOR spark plugs outperform all standard or original equipment spark plugs at a competitive price.---
www.ytmag.com/ttalk/messages/359695.html
Aldor Smart Plugs (SOLD AS A PAIR) are fully automatic spark plugs that fire in oil for older vehicles. The Smart Plug has a double gap that ignites on demand. The thermo-reactor head produces an ultra thrust in a cold or wet engine. Boosts starting voltage to deliver a stronger, hotter spark—you will enjoy trouble-free starts even on cold mornings. Thermoreactor disc delivers 40% more spark power to tip of plug when cold. Aluminum oxide insulator. The result? An inexpensive plug that can:
* Improve horsepower
* Better fuel economy
* Improve performance of high mileage vehicles
* Reduce emissions
* Burn away excess oil
Engineered specifically for engines requiring a more efficient spark. SELF-CLEANING, NON-FOULING! Actually FIRES IN OIL! Restores lost compression.---
www.autobarn.net/smartplug.html
I would like to hear from someone who has actually tried them, or at least knows somebody who has tried them..
1980 LTD KZ650 E1

Aldor Smart Plugs 06 Jul 2007 20:56 #155221

• Bluemeanie
  • User
Personally from what you describe you are a perfect candidate for WG's coil mod! I've owned my bike for 27 years and have never fouled a single plug! I have over 50,000 miles and the bike runs great! I did the coil mod with not much differnce but then with the Dyna S ignition, Andrews coils and Accel wires, my ignition system is top notch. I don't think the plugs are going to help at all. You need the coil mod and a stronger ignition system!

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2007/07/06 23:57
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

Aldor Smart Plugs 07 Jul 2007 05:39 #155280

• Wild and KZ Guy
  • User
I already have: new Dyna elec. ignition, coils, & wires, + WG direct coil modification, new NGK plugs, carbs by WiredGeorge, new battery, realtime voltage guage, new air filter, new petcock, new fuel filter, etc..
1980 LTD KZ650 E1

Aldor Smart Plugs 08 Jul 2007 06:34 #155424

• Bluemeanie
  • User
OK, so much for my theory:dry: IMO I don't think some fancy schmancy spark plug will solve your problem. I've had plugs in my bike for years with no problems. I think you need to find out what is causing the fouling. Weak compression, too much gas, poor spark, oil fouling, etc, you need to do a little forensic work. You can try the plugs but if they work it will only be a band aid over the real problem. Good luck and let us know B)

"Not looking for advice/diagnosis here, just want to know if these plugs work as advertised."
Sorry, didn't notice this part...

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2007/07/08 09:36
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!