Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZR Relay Ride - Leg 4 (Rocky Mountain Leg) 12 Mar 2012 12:45 #509206

• Link14
  • Link14's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Since Motorhead already got the Northwest leg going, guess I'll try and work on the Rocky Mountain Leg. Obviously open to suggestions, but the current handoff point between Leg #3 and Leg #4 appears to be in Albuquerque, NM. Looks like we've got people to run it through CO, WY, MT, with maybe a last point in Saskatchewan (Tim?). If no one from Nebraska steps up, I can jog over and "dip" my toe in.

We can always use more people. I know my wife would appreciate it if I had someone riding with me through Wyoming to Montana. Very quiet, scenic open space there (read desolate). Not a great place to have an Ltd gas tank :P

Anyways, if anyone wants to chime in on a different route, let us know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZR Relay Ride - Leg 4 (Rocky Mountain Leg) 12 Mar 2012 17:16 #509238

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
  • Thank you received: 52

Link14 wrote: Since Motorhead already got the Northwest leg going, guess I'll try and work on the Rocky Mountain Leg. Obviously open to suggestions, but the current handoff point between Leg #3 and Leg #4 appears to be in Albuquerque, NM. Looks like we've got people to run it through CO, WY, MT, with maybe a last point in Saskatchewan (Tim?). If no one from Nebraska steps up, I can jog over and "dip" my toe in.

We can always use more people. I know my wife would appreciate it if I had someone riding with me through Wyoming to Montana. Very quiet, scenic open space there (read desolate). Not a great place to have an Ltd gas tank :P

Anyways, if anyone wants to chime in on a different route, let us know.

Outstanding, Link! I was going to nominate Motor Head to extend the NW leg to New Mexico, but you saved the day. You western riders have a lot of territory to cover!

I owe my mom a visit in Las Vegas, NM again so I'll be out there this summer. I'd like to ride along somewhere, sometime. Schedule and route is totally up in the air now. It depends on how well and when my Voyager XII comes together. It's in pieces now. Maybe we'll meet up.
Tom
'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

KZR Relay Ride - Leg 4 (Rocky Mountain Leg) 19 May 2012 17:13 #523404

• gravit8
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
So I'm current on a long road trip on my 83 kz1100 A3, sitting at a friends house in Iowa City IA.

Eventually I'm heading back to Albuquerque NM where I technically live. Re-locating and job hunting and extended vacation sorta thing.

Point is I'm heading west from eastern Iowa at some point in the next few weeks so it'd be great to do this. I'm literally 1200 miles from home so it'd be neat to ride w/someone or make a different route than I usually do though southern Kansas and the OK and TX panhandle (through tucumcari from Wichita).

throwin it out there. Like I say, I've got no specific departure date at this point.
I honestly don't know how fast I was going, officer; My speedo tops out at 85...

KZR Relay Ride - Leg 4 (Rocky Mountain Leg) 19 May 2012 23:29 #523466

• Tony
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 13
It's going all the way to BC. Probably out to the island but definitely as far as Nelson. :)

KZR Relay Ride - Leg 4 (Rocky Mountain Leg) 20 May 2012 16:35 #523580

• Link14
  • User
Hey Gravit8,

You might want to check with the Leg #3 guys since you are in that area now. Hope you're back in NM later in the summer for the Leg#4 run. To be honest, I can't really tell when the flag is going to get out this far. If things go at this speed I'll need to strap on a ski to the front wheel and put on chains on the back to get across Wyoming. :)

KZR Relay Ride - Leg 4 (Rocky Mountain Leg) 25 May 2012 10:46 #524707

• gravit8
  • User

Link14 wrote: Hey Gravit8,

You might want to check with the Leg #3 guys since you are in that area now. Hope you're back in NM later in the summer for the Leg#4 run. To be honest, I can't really tell when the flag is going to get out this far. If things go at this speed I'll need to strap on a ski to the front wheel and put on chains on the back to get across Wyoming. :)

Yeah it looks like the thread for that leg was buried, the link on the main page for the relay was dumping people into the northwest thread, so there hasn't been much activity for the midwest section.

Like I said, I'm pretty much irresponsible and totally devoid of any commitments so, errr, I may just join several segments of the trip.

Or I may end up riding most of this leg, since I can't seem to pin down any actual plan for this segment. Don't worry, I'll lay down a fine sheen of 10-40 across the midwest for the KZ clan
I honestly don't know how fast I was going, officer; My speedo tops out at 85...

KZR Relay Ride - Leg 4 (Rocky Mountain Leg) 25 May 2012 12:18 #524729

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!

Looks like we've got people to run it through CO, WY, MT, with maybe a last point in Saskatchewan (Tim?)

There was a guy from Saskatoon, SK who has a bike in Regina, SK and goes by KZ250LTD on this board who MAYBE can do the Saskatchewan portion and hand over to myself at the SK/AB border. I would then carry the flag down to Tony in south-eastern BC. It would be a 2-dayer for me but no worries.
The big question is: Will we beat the snow ?? It appears to me that leg #3 is meandering all over the place in the midwest US along with NM, TX, etc etc.
Any/all clarifications gratefully accepted.
KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

KZR Relay Ride - Leg 4 (Rocky Mountain Leg) 25 May 2012 17:17 #524765

• Link14
  • User
Hey Gravit8 and Rick,

Unfortunately Leg #3 is having trouble finalizing their route, because it's unsure when end Leg #2 will end up. Looks like you found the Leg #3 thread, so hopefully you'll catch up with the flag somewhere in the midwest.

As far as a plan...just running it up the front range to Canada was about as far as I've gotten. I've PM'd KZ250LTD to see if he's interested in helping, but haven't heard back yet.

I'm really hoping some more members along the front range start checking in 'cause right now it's looking like some long rides.

KZR Relay Ride - Leg 4 (Rocky Mountain Leg) 25 May 2012 19:36 #524792

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
Long rides indeed. I'm in MT and last I checked there are only 2 of us we are both in he same city. MT is a very large state. I have to have a heads up to get time off of work.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

KZR Relay Ride - Leg 4 (Rocky Mountain Leg) 30 May 2012 15:03 #525899

• H2RICK
  • User
Thank you, Link14.
OK....things are a LITTLE clearer.....but I'm still concerned about the timeline on this.
Well, we'll see what the next month brings as to progress on the other legs.

If things go at this speed I'll need to strap on a ski to the front wheel and put on chains on the back to get across Wyoming.

Yep, my concern exactly....:ohmy:

KZR Relay Ride - Leg 4 (Rocky Mountain Leg) 14 Jun 2012 13:08 #529100

• H2RICK
  • User
Are we any closer to some sort of a semi-tentative schedule for Leg #4 yet ??
All info gratefully accepted.... :whistle:

KZR Relay Ride - Leg 4 (Rocky Mountain Leg) 26 Jun 2012 14:59 #531906

• H2RICK
  • User
Apparently the flag is still in MAINE !!!
Unless things speed up considerably, I'm concerned with the timing for THIS leg.... :unsure: :S