Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 11 Mar 2012 19:56 #509091

• AJSparko
  • AJSparko's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Went to go look at a KZ900, a bike I've wanted for years and it was really, really rough. It just so happened he had KZ1100 ltd in fairly good shape, excellent mechanicals and didn't want much for it. So switched gears and picked it up!

Oh and we grabbed another KZ440 and some other fun stuff...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by AJSparko.

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 11 Mar 2012 20:28 #509104

• AJSparko
  • User
I operate a custom metal/fabrication shop where my main business is building offroad armor for Jeep Cherokees and Xterras but also do just about any kind of work locally. It's been really busy and no space to work on my own but the nice weather today lit a fire under me. My goal isn't to build a traditional bobber, cafe racer or rat bike...but what I'm calling a MuscleBike. Keeping the vintage aspect of it with the forks and rear suspension, but trimming down some of the fat and putting some good lines on the bike.

Slapped a set of lower bars on to figure out cable lengths I need. BTW, anyone offhand know of 6" shorter choke cable? I'm going to look around for a better alternative on the master cylinder and ditch the stock throttle housing/kill switch. Go with something more compact. Ideas are appreciated of course...

I've been staring at this pic and editing several things, making sketches... I just don't like the rear setup at all past the shocks. Took some measurements and looking at some universal steel fenders to chop up and do more of a traditional strut type arrangement.

This is how I left it today. Besides the basics of new fork seals, check the valves and go through the carbs... The gameplan is pull the wheels off for new rubber and have the rims powdercoated. Rework the rear framework and build a fender. Seat I'm just going to custom make one and try to utilize a steel backbone with fiberglass pan so I can still flip it up like the stocker. But make it more low profile with better materials for padding. Originally was thinking of a different tank but I like the lines of it now.

Last edit: by AJSparko.

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 11 Mar 2012 20:32 #509105

• AJSparko
  • User
Here are some photo edits I've done to get an idea of color schemes with trimming front and rear fender and slimming down the stock seat. I'm going a different route on the rear seat and fender but not sure on how blacked out to go if much at all. Definitely doing the wheels black though.

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 11 Mar 2012 20:57 #509111

• Chaotic Reason
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
Not bad mate. Looks beefy and strong. Good concept, looking forward to seeing what you turn it into.
Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 11 Mar 2012 21:03 #509113

• ramtough_63
  • User
  • Thank you received: 132
Good score looks like you got a vision cant wait to see how it unfolds
1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 11 Mar 2012 21:24 #509119

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225
"Fairly good shape"... ? damn compared to my original POS that thing is gorgeous as is...

Hell fix the wiring and leave her be, she's beautiful... Maybe pictures are deceiving.

Score!
1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 11 Mar 2012 23:12 #509142

• AJSparko
  • User
Thanks, pics are a little deceiving but it really was in great shape. I debated on keeping it as is but knew if it were kept original I'd be wanting to make the chrome perfect, repaint, new decals....money pit.

I'd debating stretching it a little, would only be 2" so it's kinda not worth the time and effort...then again if I don't I'll wish I had. lol can't win.

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 12 Mar 2012 08:55 #509188

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
If that paint is as nice in person as in the pictures I wouldn't touch it except to wax it. I like the paint scheme as is much better than just a one color job with no decals.
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 13 Mar 2012 09:25 #509378

• AJSparko
  • User

650ed wrote: If that paint is as nice in person as in the pictures I wouldn't touch it except to wax it. I like the paint scheme as is much better than just a one color job with no decals.

Paint is shot, a lot of hazing and cracking in the clear. Top of the tank around the filler almost down to steel. Graphics are all cracked and peeling on edges...definitely needs to be redone. I have debated just repainting it black (not brown) and using the same style of graphics in a different color though.

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 13 Mar 2012 10:20 #509383

• LarryC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 309
That bike looks to be in pretty good shape. Get some paint on it that makes you happy, service it and enjoy it :) They were a pretty comfortable cruiser and very reliable. :)

Nothing like a day shopping for motorcycles at Kmart to put a smile on your face :lol:
Larry C.

Last edit: by LarryC.

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 05 Apr 2012 10:20 #514171

• AJSparko
  • User
Decided to go a slightly different route. I want to keep it fairly stock but with just some custom tweaks to make me happy. The weather is getting too nice to have it sitting in pieces.

Tore into the forks, what a nasty mess they were. Had a buildup of sludge at the bottom that took a lot of cleaning to get out. Have new fork seals and 10wt oil, just waiting on the dust boots since I'm not going with the accordian style.

Petcock was leaking and it was the vac style. For what the rebuild kit cost I just put a traditional petcock in. Eliminates a vac line and just simplifies it.

Started to smooth out the tank the other day. I'm not a big fan of using body filler so I started it out with some weld first.

Won't take much body filler at this point to smooth things out.

So as of right now the tank is mudded, sanded, waiting for the glazing to dry so I can sand it. Then filler/primer, sand and paint. Color is.....not sure but thinking of going two-tone with the same scheme as it had, just different colors.

Waiting on parts, cable ends to shorten up throttle and clutch. Spark plug ends, oil filter, dust boots for forks. Got new rubber for it, fit up the fenders and do all the basic maintence...fire it up!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 05 Apr 2012 10:39 #514175

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
Nice work !
Cant wait to see it done. I like the mostly Black pics you edited.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn