Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 16 May 2012 01:12 #522627

• damarble
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
I'm still searching for a US seller, only ones I can find are out of the UK, about 80-100 USD shipped.
Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 19 May 2012 13:04 #523356

• AJSparko
  • AJSparko's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Soooo close to being done. Re-jetted, with the pods I'm running 122.5 mains, no shim under needle, pilot screw out 2.75 turns. I need to go up one on the pilot and all should be good. However I discovered oil leaks at the cam plugs and when I took the cover off the main gasket was pretty brittle.

Also bled the brakes and couldn't get enough brake pressure up front to lock up the wheel, I'm assuming the pads are shot. So new pads, rebleed, rear pads look great, pilot jet, cam cover gasket and plugs...should be good to go.

I got the seat back and I'm really happy with it, price was right too. I'm finishing up the wet sanding on all the paint today.

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 19 May 2012 13:28 #523358

• dshelly
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5

AJSparko wrote: Decided to go a slightly different route. I want to keep it fairly stock but with just some custom tweaks to make me happy. The weather is getting too nice to have it sitting in pieces.

Tore into the forks, what a nasty mess they were. Had a buildup of sludge at the bottom that took a lot of cleaning to get out. Have new fork seals and 10wt oil, just waiting on the dust boots since I'm not going with the accordian style.

Petcock was leaking and it was the vac style. For what the rebuild kit cost I just put a traditional petcock in. Eliminates a vac line and just simplifies it.

Started to smooth out the tank the other day. I'm not a big fan of using body filler so I started it out with some weld first.

Won't take much body filler at this point to smooth things out.

So as of right now the tank is mudded, sanded, waiting for the glazing to dry so I can sand it. Then filler/primer, sand and paint. Color is.....not sure but thinking of going two-tone with the same scheme as it had, just different colors.

Waiting on parts, cable ends to shorten up throttle and clutch. Spark plug ends, oil filter, dust boots for forks. Got new rubber for it, fit up the fenders and do all the basic
maintence...fire it up!

OH MAN! You ruined the tank!!! God I hate to see it when guys take off the emblems and fill in the tank. You just screwed up a perfectly good tank! Do that to a suzuki ,honda or something else, But not a perfectly good Kaw.
'77 Kz1000B1
'78 Kz1000A2
'76 Kz900LTD

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 19 May 2012 21:07 #523431

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
thats not called ruined, its called modded. and what a fine job he did moddin that tank. :)
To each his own B)
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 19 May 2012 22:06 #523445

• ramtough_63
  • User
  • Thank you received: 132
i'm on a personal journey to save all the unmodded tanks will happily trade a shaved emblem tank for an original one but thats just my preference at least he is doing it right.
nice work.

I wanna see that seat Please
1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 19 May 2012 23:34 #523469

• dshelly
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
His metal working skills are to be commended, however filled in is filled in. IMHO YUK !
'77 Kz1000B1
'78 Kz1000A2
'76 Kz900LTD

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 20 May 2012 15:09 #523564

• AJSparko
  • User
:P You guys crack me up! Filled in or not I could still take that tank and put factory emblems on it. Kinda thinking I will once I find the right finish for them.

I'll try and get some pics today since it's actually all together...minus the cam cover.

Last edit: by AJSparko.

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 20 May 2012 17:32 #523590

• Krazykz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Great job AJ, keep posting bud!

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 20 May 2012 17:50 #523598

• AJSparko
  • User
Rolled it out of the shop to get some decent pics....

The seat is VERY comfortable, made a compromise between height and comfort on the padding. We threw around the idea of more sculpting with some seams/stitching to give it a defined shape but I really wanted to keep it simple. Can always change it down the road and the price was right at $120.

The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 20 May 2012 17:59 #523600

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299
Looks much better to me,you might want to consider a short front fender or brace atleast to tie the forks together.
makes a world of differance in handling when forks arent fighting eachother. :)
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 20 May 2012 23:03 #523680

• wagonmaster69
  • User
  • 78 KZ1000A2 / 82 KZ1100 Spectre
  • Thank you received: 4
The turn and tail lights were you get them.
And what size pilot jets you ended up with on the carbs.
And nice work I have a 82 KZ1100 Spectre.
78 KZ1000 work in progress in Hacienda Heights California and a 82 KZ1100 Spectra And a 1992 ZX11.

KZ1100 LTD Muscle Bike Project 20 May 2012 23:15 #523690

• AJSparko
  • User
Thanks for the tip Wireman...I have been undecided on the front fender and just left the stocker off. I'm going to mock up one to match the rear and see how it looks. Might help the overall look too.

The signals were from an Ebay seller, "ozg-motors", I was impressed with the quality of construction on the lights. Definitely worth the price and light output is really good. I did put a 150 ohm resistor on the taillight to give a more noticeable difference when braking though during the daylight. I rarely, if ever, ride at night...too many deer where I live.

Right now it's stock pilots, 122.5 mains with the pilot screw nearly 3 turns out. I'm going up at least one size on the pilots and one shim under the needles, should be very very close.