Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

'82 Z1000 LTD "Terry Lee" 14 Mar 2011 21:41 #438052

• Marneman
  • Marneman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey fellas, good to hear from you, it's been awhile. Thanks for the tips MFolks. You are always spot on with the leads :)

OK Josh, In 24 years of wedded bliss (ha!) I have discovered what I can reasonably slip past mama and what will equal years of "remember that time you stunk us out of the house" comments. (I did consider it though :woohoo: )

Adam, I'm glad I'm not the only over age adolescent who sits in a freezing garage making vroom noises in his head! I am hopeful to get the forks and front wheel squared away next. Got all the parts, so now I just need to dive in.

Leon, this bike has turned into some of the best therapy I have ever found. Keeps my scotch budget down from where it might be without it :laugh:

Lastly, welcome 72hilander! Unfortunately Miss Terri Lee's portrait was the first to go on this project, along with the blue. Haven't really decided on a tank color scheme yet, but I'm open to suggestions? Would love to see some pics of that 750 of yours.
77 KZ1000-A1 "Bushido" Project
82 KZ1000 LTD "Terri Lee"

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'82 Z1000 LTD "Terry Lee" 14 Mar 2011 21:55 #438056

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
  • Thank you received: 82
One of my buds on another forum did the final cleanout on a set of Goldwing heads in the dishwasher. :ohmy: Even took pictures to prove it. Same guy baked his header paint on in the oven. What a man! Just don't accept his dinner invitations.
1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

'82 Z1000 LTD "Terry Lee" 21 Mar 2011 03:15 #439351

• Marneman
  • User
Hey guys, even though I didn't get to Terry this weekend I still had a pretty good week. I spent the weekend in Seattle and had a birthday to boot. My assistant went with me and treated me to a tour of the Seattle "underground" ala Scooby Doo. That and dinner at the Crab Pot on the waterfornt. It was a great week.

It was great celebrating my 29th birthday again :woohoo: Tonight I'm working my way through a bottle of 12 year old Glenlivet Scotch. What could be better? That and it's time to tickle the little woman! Good night gents!

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

'82 Z1000 LTD "Terry Lee" 21 Mar 2011 12:17 #439411

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
happy birthday marneman!

my dads lawyer used to say that his perfect woman would turn into a case of scotch and his two best friends ten seconds after he squ!rted in her mouth :ohmy: .

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

'82 Z1000 LTD "Terry Lee" 21 Mar 2011 12:24 #439412

• Stu Pidasole
  • User
  • if you aint mod'n, you aint rock'n!
  • Thank you received: 1
yeah, happy bday. your right behind me. stay cool....Joe

'82 Z1000 LTD "Terry Lee" 13 May 2011 00:52 #450613

• Marneman
  • User
Hey All, been awhile since I posted anything as work has been a real chore for the last few months. Had to deal with all the changes in the center, and some minor personnel issues, but it's really starting to come around. I have stopped by the forum on ocassion to spy on my buds but haven't taken the time to post anything, my bad.

I have managed to work on the bike some however, I will try to catch you up with some pics.

'82 Z1000 LTD "Terry Lee" 13 May 2011 00:59 #450614

• Marneman
  • User
So I started on the fork rebuild a few weeks ago and quickly sorted out that a special tool would make life much easier.

The lowers polished up fairly nice although I didn't kill myself trying to get them "perfect"

Damper tube measured out to 22mm

Found a 22 mm nut and a cheap HF extension for the job

Works great!

'82 Z1000 LTD "Terry Lee" 13 May 2011 01:14 #450618

• Marneman
  • User
Here's a couple of the forks reassembled with the refurbished wheel and new Roadrunner installed. Wet sanded and polished the mag and repainted with duplicolor graphite wheel paint. Hard to tell in the pic but it turned out better than I expected. Should offset the solid black paint scheme I'm planning.

So I was really careful not to scratch the rim and took it to a "professional" for the mount and balance. Nice old guy but he gouged the crap out of the rim :angry: Oh well, I was able to sand it out for the most part.

'82 Z1000 LTD "Terry Lee" 13 May 2011 01:23 #450621

• Marneman
  • User
I bit the bullet and pulled the cylinder head afraid of what I might find. Turns out the jugs were spotless and my smoking issue was related to 29 year old valve seals :woohoo: A few of the valves were very carboned up and it appeared the bike had been running way rich on a couple cylinders. They cleaned up great and gave the valves a quick lap and some new viton seals.

Here is a pic of my high end HF valve spring compressor. :woohoo:

Total cost $7.00 and a piece of scrap tubing. Not fancy but worked flawlessly. I will get some more pics up this weekend. Got the rear end tore apart tonight and hope to get it cleaned up this weekend. I figure 1.5 more orders from Z1 (gaskets, cables, chin & sprockets, etc), paint and some tuning and she should be almost there.

Later.

'82 Z1000 LTD "Terry Lee" 13 May 2011 08:17 #450654

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
  • Thank you received: 82
Good to see you making progress. I has seemed that all my favorite projects have stalled out.

I like the custom HF tools.

1.5 more orders from Z1E. :laugh: I must have said that at least 10.5 times. :P
1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

'82 Z1000 LTD "Terry Lee" 16 May 2011 10:37 #451423

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
glad the engine looked nice inside.that a relief,good progress sir!

keep us posted,

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

'82 Z1000 LTD "Terry Lee" 19 Jul 2011 23:48 #463849

• Marneman
  • User
Well I've made some decent rogress over the last few months, and I figure I'm overdue for posting some pics. Since last time I got the swingarm squared away, the head done, clutch springs, stator cover polished, and most of the base coat done on the pretty parts.

I'm liking the superbars and the stance so far. What do you think of the KZ650 tail? I did alot of thinking on that one, and I'm starting to like it more. It requires me to shorten the LTD seat pan some, but I wanted to change u the seat to something sportier anyways. More to follow. Should look ok with the rear fender eliminated and a new integrated turn signal "ala Testarossa". Remember Josh, imitation is the sincerest form of flatery, and I like the R6 tailight of yours. What ya think?