Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Painting over chrome. 19 May 2006 06:46 #48430

• waterman
  • waterman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Looks like I'm going to have to "amend" my chain guard to put my Zrex shocks on my bike. I know that if I leave it chrome, it will be rust and chrome after I get done with the grinder. Anyone have any luck with spray cans and chrome? How did you do it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Painting over chrome. 19 May 2006 06:57 #48435

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
Errr... rather than dunking the whole chain guard in a vat of Rustoleum or other fine likewise product, why not take a little extra time and *trim* the chain guard to fit the new shock setup? Then you can brush-touch it with a little primer followd by silver in just the affected area...

Painting over chrome is problematic - hard to make it stick really well - or deal with the inevitable guilt brought on by ruining an otherwise nice bit of chrome...

Painting over chrome. 19 May 2006 07:12 #48439

• waterman
  • waterman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Well, I considered that, and I still might go that route. However, it looks like I have to cut off the back support leg on the guard which may make it weak to keep the curved area in the back from moving from side to side (which seems as though it would be bad). So I thought that I might cut the back off straight and if did that, it is past the point of being careful with the chrome. To be honest, I'm not terribly clear where my endpoint will be on this project--I really just want to get the damn shocks on without having to chop the hell out of the bike to do it.

Painting over chrome. 19 May 2006 07:22 #48442

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
Understood...

If you have a camera handy, it'd be interesting to see a shot of the area with the new shock installed before winding out the cut-up wheel... there might yet be hope for that guard.

Another idea that comes to mind is at least temporarily replacing the chrome guard with one of those fairly plain-jane black plastic stockers and trim that - they're pretty common and usually had for pennies on the pound...

Painting over chrome. 19 May 2006 08:12 #48470

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
I've had good luck painting chrome. You want to sand with 150 with a DA sander if you can. Get some etching primer from an automotive paint store. Let the etching primer dry and paint away. I have a front fender and a couple gas caps painted for different paint jobs on my bike.
Mark
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

Painting over chrome. 19 May 2006 08:18 #48473

• mgweiss
  • User
I’ve painted over chrome as well, mostly because it was already rusty and pitted. I painted an LTD front fender for my bike in black duplicolor. First I used one of those 3M paint stripper wheels that fit in a drill, and went over it until all the rust and flaking chrome was gone. The chrome that was left was very scratched up looking. Then I sprayed on several coats of high build primer and wet sanded it smooth with 600 grit. Then 3 coats of gloss black enamel went on and again I wet sanded with 600. Then 4 coats of duplicolor engine enamel clear coat. After going over it with rubbing compound, then paint polish it looked awesome. Several weeks later you can apply wax and your done.

Painting over chrome. 19 May 2006 08:32 #48477

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I have always had good luck with sandblasting the part.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• Page: