Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

started the teardown 05 Jan 2006 07:29 #16100

• securitygeek
  • securitygeek's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, 2 hours after starting the teardown, this is what I have so far to work with. I have the engine to pull and the front fork to dismantle and the rear tire/swingarm to remove. Then remove all of the cracked rubber stuff and start cleaning the frame. Should I keep the frame black, or go to a gray or silver? I am not sure what the final color will be yet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

started the teardown 05 Jan 2006 09:05 #16106

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
A few random hints:
You have to remove the rear wheel to get the airbox out.
That motor is heavy! ~180 lbs.
When you remove the front fork ball bearings are going to go everywhere, replace them with tapered bearings.
Plan on replacing the swingarm bearings, seems like no one ever greases it.
Upgrade to dual front disk using 650/1000 rotors and calipers, the rotors off dual disk bikes are thinner.
Most of the rubber parts are still available from Kawasaki.
Your front master cylinder is already 5/8" but rebuild kits are not available.
My 750 project is going to be black with silver frame, so don't do that :D
The brake pedal can be a real bear to remove.

I have done several 750 twins, so if you have any questions feel free to ask :)
KD9JUR

started the teardown 05 Jan 2006 10:19 #16111

• securitygeek
  • User
Thanks for the tips. I have already had the motor out before (did it without help and carried it around, I didn't think it was THAT heavy (maybe I'm just stronger than I thought!)), replaced rings and several valves (don't ask).

Yeah, the air box will NOT come out the side of the frame, I tried.

Already switched the stem bearings to tapered, and planned on ordering swingarm bearings.

I think I'm using Fleet Farm Implement paint for everything. I should be able to get good results, and a pretty durable finish at the same time. Cheap too, about $8 a quart, if I remember right!

started the teardown 05 Jan 2006 12:03 #16126

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I just swapped engines in a 900 by myself. It was harder to pull the old engine as I didn't do any disassembly and I assembled the new engine in the frame. The 900 engine is about 225 lbs with all the stuff on it...

In any case, couple of hints... listen to folks who tell you to replace all bearings. Use roller bearings in steering stem, swingarm and use NEW wheel bearings. It makes the bike handle so much better! The bearings are relatively cheap! Second tip is to take off the wiring harness and unwrap it and look for surprises underneath! Clean it up and make sure everything is connected as it should be and no bare wires and then rewrap it in electrical tape. I know it is a chore but having a reliable bike makes life a lot more fun! Clean the connectors good and pack with dielectic grease. As you finish sections of the clean up of the wires, wrap a little tape to keep that section together and then do a final wrap over the whole thing.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

started the teardown 06 Jan 2006 07:22 #16301

• securitygeek
  • User
Well, after a couple more hours...

started the teardown 04 Mar 2006 12:32 #28192

• JorgeRox
  • User
have done several 750 twins, so if you have any questions feel free to ask

Are there two sets of tapered bearings there? What about washers and so forth, also, do you know of anything I may need to really concentrate on. I have a 77 twin. Thanks alot.......................

• Page: