Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

shaky front end 02 Feb 2006 16:37 #21186

• Isbister
  • Isbister's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all, I'm new to the site -Have a 1975 Z-1-900 all original except the seat. Engine runs like a sewing machine (but sounds better) front end chops when I lean left at anything over +-60mph. The only thing I can narrow it down to may be a tyre, but that looks good? My son thinks the forks could be bent, but again nothing is visible? has anyone tried a steering damper on the olde Z's Ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

shaky front end 02 Feb 2006 17:27 #21196

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Welcome to KZR. Pictures are a must!

How old is the front tire? Making more right turns than left will wear one side more than the other giving a different feel. You may want to check and change your fork oil as well.

My son thinks the forks could be bent

Have you been down with the bike or hit anything? Or the previous owner?

Put the bike on the center stand and get the front wheel off the ground. Then grab the lower forks from the front and try to move them forwards and back. They should be solid, any movement is not good. Turn the handle bars back and forth to feel if it's smooth as well. Your steering bearings could be loose or worn.

I have a high speed wobble that comes on sometimes. I replaced my wheel bearings this Winter and hope that helps. I could barely turn the front ones. I may install a dampner at some point, but do need to solve the problem first.

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2006/02/02 20:31
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

shaky front end 02 Feb 2006 17:45 #21205

• wireman
  • Visitor
check tire/wheel,does it still have stock steering head bearings,if it does put tapered bearings in and change fork oil.you shouldnt need stabilizer also jack the bike up and check rear wheel and swingarm bushings its all tied in together.goodluck,happy wrenching!:whistle:

shaky front end 02 Feb 2006 19:05 #21224

• tfh903
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Rim or tire out of round? Rear tire following front correctly? wheel out of balance? With wheel off the ground spin it and see if it goes up/down or left/right or all of the above. Should not do any of the above. Do this to front and rear. To check the alignment, bungee cord a 8' flouessant light to both sides of rear tire (bungee cords should be in front and behind the rear tire)and the space between the front rim (at the closest point to ground) and each light should be the same. To check balance, front wheel remove brake calipher and spin wheel lightly should stop at different place each time. If it stops at same place it is heavy at bottom, Tape a penny at top and try again, do this untill it stops at different place each time. wieght the pennies and get some wheel wieghts to match and put them on. The rear you may have to take off and put axel thru wheel and set on jack stands to test balance. Or you can take them to a shop and them balanced.

Post edited by: tfh903, at: 2006/02/02 22:18

shaky front end 03 Feb 2006 05:06 #21254

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
what is the condition of the front tire, any cupping will cause all kinds of problems, look at the back tire also
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

shaky front end 06 Feb 2006 20:40 #22036

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Check wheel bearings, steering head bearings. Remove front wheel, does it go back in easily or do you have to force it. Check axle for trueness. Could a brake caliper be loose and catching/rubbing when you turn? The first Z1's had frame alignment issues resulting in factory steering dampener. Is frame correct for your year? A wonky front end on a bike is very very dangerous. Be careful. The only thing holding you up is the front wheel spinning around. It stops so do you, eventually.

shaky front end 08 Feb 2006 12:33 #22507

• rattler
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
i had the same problem with my 77 kz 1000 last year. i still had the stock steering bearings on the tripple trees, o did it ever make a diffrence when i switched to the new tapered style bearings. i would check the wheel bearing as mentioned also.

• Page: