• Page:

TOPIC:

Tacho delete 25 Sep 2020 11:28 #835646

• Pagala
  • Pagala's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi guys

Got a Kawasaki Z200 project bike, with a smashed tachometer. This isn't an electrical tacho, but a cable-driven one that runs off the cam..
The picture attached shows how it looks. This is entirely my fault - it happened when removing the forks. However, now that it's broken, it sort of lets me get on with a plan I had in the back of my mind.

What I'd like to do is permanently delete the tachometer. There are 2 reasons:
1) It's not that much use on a single-cylinder bike - you can hear when it's time to change up a gear.
2) The tacho cable is STUCK in the cylinder head!

With regard to point (2), it's a really serious case of galvanic corrosion. I've tried mole grips and a hammer and punch. It isn't going anywhere. Removing and inspecting the cam, etc. isn't happening with the tach drive gear still inside there.

What I plan to do is, CUT OFF the tach cable that leads out of the cylinder head, then yank out the inner cable from that spindle, before filling up the hole with JB weld or some suitable filler.

Any thoughts about this plan? Would it work? If it's a stupid idea, don't hesitate to say so.

Thanks in advance

i.ibb.co/2KrN4bs/smashed-tacho.png
1̶9̶8̶3̶ ̶K̶a̶w̶a̶s̶a̶k̶i̶ ̶G̶T̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶(̶U̶K̶-̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶l̶)̶,̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶Z̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶G̶1̶,̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶i̶s̶t̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶4̶.̶
1981 Kawasaki Z440 (KZ440C1)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Pagala.

Tacho delete 25 Sep 2020 14:41 #835652

• VTEC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationSeveral on eBay.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pagala

Tacho delete 26 Sep 2020 04:54 #835677

• Pagala
  • User
Thanks, but the clocks are ugly, I don't really value the aesthetics of these items and this old bike is a classic but will never be worth something like a Z1.

The tacho cable being stuck in the valve cover is ugly as well, because it's a mechanical imperfection. What I really want to do is snip it off, pull out the remains of the tacho drive cable from the engine side, and stuff the hole with filler. Do you think that might work?
1̶9̶8̶3̶ ̶K̶a̶w̶a̶s̶a̶k̶i̶ ̶G̶T̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶(̶U̶K̶-̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶l̶)̶,̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶Z̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶G̶1̶,̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶i̶s̶t̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶4̶.̶

Tacho delete 26 Sep 2020 06:33 #835680

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
I would try Liquid Wrench penetrating spray lubricant & give it time to work, several days if necessary & reapply periodically. also, vibration helps. tap tap tap it with a mallet & wood block several times each day. Heat also helps, so you could run the engine to full operating temps each day, then reapply. Alternate between each method. note: a propane torch may not be a good idea in this case.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Tacho delete 27 Sep 2020 09:38 #835725

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 351
Or you could gently hand saw the fitting length wise till it's almost through the fitting then split the fitting and peel it off.
For capping the hole I would probably find a cap like the link below.
Then either thread lock it or teflon paste it.
Try to find a cap material that doesn't corrode to the aluminum.

There was someone earlier that used epoxy for that fitting and the plug failed and blew oil out.

www.belmetric.com/banjo-bolt-caps-c-1041_929/
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY

Last edit: by F64.

Tacho delete 27 Sep 2020 18:29 #835749

• Mc Tavish
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35
I would be very hesitant to use JB weld in there, it's entirely possible you will lock the tach drive gear thus locking the motor.
1978 z650C

Tacho delete 28 Sep 2020 05:15 #835765

• kevski
  • User
  • Thank you received: 154
As the old saying goes, if a job is worth doing then do it well, it will be removable if you spend a little time and patience on it, a little heat and vibration will loosen it, if you do not have the inclination to do the job well just use the good old JB weld botch up method:laugh:

Tacho delete 28 Sep 2020 11:48 #835787

• Pagala
  • User
Thanks guys. I'm not convinced it will ever come off the normal way, because it's the screw-on type. I could cut and split open the ferruled part and pull it away, but then the problem would be plugging it up. I would, obviously, prefer to use an oil-tight method. The destructive removal of the cable poses a problem, and so does finding a suitable plug/blank for the hole. Therefore I've bought a replacement tachometer from Ebay. It was an unusual Ebay sale - seller has just one feedback, and it remains to be seen if I ever receive it. But, for now, I'm proceeding on the basis that the tacho will be fitted.

• Page: