Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Weak spark , won’t start. 26 Oct 2018 21:50 #792865

• Stocky
  • Stocky's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Everyone. I recently finished a restoration of my KZ750B4. Have had a few short rides and was running reasonably well.
Tried to start last week but sounded like misfire or randomly fire. Nothing’s changed since last ride , however when checking spark it looked very weak. Thin blue spark. I would still think that would be enough to start but donesnt want to fire up.
I’ve carried out static resistance checks on coil, regulator, stator etc and all seem to be ok, however I understand this doesn’t rule out other issues that might be found if it was running.. Plugs are wet so no problem with fuel.
Can anyone suggest anything I might be missing. I’m f@##in frustrated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Weak spark , won’t start. 27 Oct 2018 06:00 #792868

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
Load test the battery. A weak one can show more than 12v with no load but still not have enough power to start the bike. Also check both ends of the battery cables to be sure the connections are clean and tight.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Weak spark , won’t start. 27 Oct 2018 06:09 #792869

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
In addition it's always good to verify all the basics: points condition and gap, valve adjust, petcock flows properly and tank vents, spark plug cap condition and connection to the HT leads, air filter condition, etc.

• Page: