• Page:

TOPIC:

ZR550 ignition in KZ550h1 09 Sep 2018 09:17 #790567

• Wozza
  • Wozza's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30
Any one done it
I already have the ZR550 ignitor, rotor , pickup and was wondering if the coils were compatible between the two.
Im guessing they are but comfirmation like ohm rating of the ZR coils would be great , I've searched and searched for this information with no luck
Both are ignitor ignitions . the KZ uses mechanical advance and two pickups and the ZR is digital advance and one pickup.
1982 KZ550H1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ZR550 ignition in KZ550h1 09 Sep 2018 13:54 #790597

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Some Kz550 motors need a little bit of a mod to install later ignitions. I don't have the details, but Tyrell said this was the case. Maybe it doesn't apply to Zr ignitions. It was relative to the Zx ignition.

ZR550 ignition in KZ550h1 09 Sep 2018 17:23 #790620

• Wozza
  • User
A peice of the casing the pulsing coil plate bolts to needs to be trimmed to make room for the pulsing coil itself.
this would explain the different part numbers between the kz and later zx 550 cases..
1982 KZ550H1

ZR550 ignition in KZ550h1 12 Sep 2018 06:03 #790752

• Wozza
  • User
The area that prevents later model pulsing coil plates fitting marked in yellow

Finally got hold of a Haynes manual with the ZR coils spec's. My coils measured 2.7-2.9 ohms so should be fine Now i just need to sort out the wiring ,It looks like i can make a adapter lead that plugs into the ignitor and original loom without cutting anything

The KZ has none of the starter lock out features that later bikes have, It looks like diodes are being used to separate three circuits connected to the single ignitor wire they are all negative circuits that can prevent the starter cut out relay from working , Since its not needed Can the green/black wire coming from the ignitor . be left disconnected or earthed to the negative side of the battery

1982 KZ550H1
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

Last edit: by Wozza.

ZR550 ignition in KZ550h1 12 Sep 2018 06:21 #790753

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Yes, just connect it (green/black) to ground same place as the ground wire (black/yellow).

Thanks for the photo of the timing plate interference issue.
So does that mean you still have to grind that area of the engine case away? Or did you grind away part of the timing plate?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wozza

Last edit: by loudhvx.

ZR550 ignition in KZ550h1 12 Sep 2018 06:42 #790756

• Wozza
  • User
Its the pulsing coil that stops the plate bolting down. With the pulsing coil removed the plate fits no problem. I Think the plate is the same one used on ZX550's as it has provisions for mounting another pulsing coil on the opposite side.
With the peice of casting removed it all fits fine.

Heres One of Zaddicts photos i have used to decipher the the ignitor pin outs from his ZR550 ignitor wiring thread
The pulsing coil plug connects straight to the ignitor
1982 KZ550H1
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

Last edit: by Wozza.
  • Page: