Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1000 a conversion to CDI ignition 22 Nov 2015 15:37 #700000

• gshit43
  • gshit43's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for your help guys, i'll probally run on points for the time being and if i have any problems i'll go to a Dyna S unit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000 a conversion to CDI ignition 22 Nov 2015 15:57 #700007

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
I've had my Dyna S for two and a half years. No problems. I do carry my points plate and cam just in case. :whistle:
Steve

KZ1000 a conversion to CDI ignition 23 Nov 2015 14:22 #700171

• Jussumguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
I have a 2005 kz 1000 police bike and it has electronic ignition. I don't know what year they started putting it on from the factory. There's probably a lot of bolt on used stuff if that is more affordable. It must be dependable if Kawasaki and law enforcement used it! : )

KZ1000 a conversion to CDI ignition 24 Nov 2015 14:58 #700356

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

Tyrell Corp wrote: but uses the points as a low current switch for triggering it.

This is what I was referring to int the z400 ignition threadtoday. I think the term is TAC (transistor assisted contact breaker)

To my (simple minded) knowledge none of the kwak fours used CDI, it was a fully transistorised ignition but one up from TAC as in no contact breakers but a magnetic sensor to trigger it.

CDI = capcitor discharge ignition. For years I called the factory ignition a CDI too but LouHVX corrected me on it.

Mine actually is an aftermarket CDI which uses the points as a trigger. It's true that most electronic ignitions today are just transistor switch ignitions, which actually work pretty well. CD has some advantages.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

KZ1000 a conversion to CDI ignition 24 Nov 2015 16:52 #700389

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1951
Gerex made a true CDI back in the day. 1980,, Used a magnetic trigger which replaced the points plate with a spinning magnet passing 2 pickup sensors. Time it and forget about it. But it was dated technology.. Mine lasted till 3 years ago when a cracked coil cap made me take it off my bike and I installed a Dyna S. Stick with points or make the change to a Dyna S or 2000 unit.
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• Page: