Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Voltage reg: this isn't rocket science 14 Jun 2006 17:57 #54537

• 79cafe
  • 79cafe's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My 79 650 regulator is fried and the prices at oldbikebarn, et al., are ridiculous and they are few and far between on eBay. This isn't rocket science. The whole thing consists of six diodes, albeit probably large steroid-induced diodes. If someone could find out the specs on the diodes, it would be a breeze to make these things, wouldn't it? Also, I noticed that my Buell wiring diagram looks like a Buell regulator would work fine (two leads from the alternator, a hot and a ground; again, we're not calculating trajectories to the moon here). What's the big deal? All its doing is rectifying the AC current from the alternator into DC current which goes to the battery. I was an avionics tech in the Coast Guard 500 years ago and this cannot be that hard to do. Does anyone know how to make one or how to get the diode specs? Or if other bike RRs will work? Many thanks. You guys are great!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Voltage reg: this isn't rocket science 14 Jun 2006 18:04 #54538

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Six diodes would be a three phase rectifier with three yellow wires coming from the alternator, and it would be nice to have a regulator in the circuit to keep from boiling the battery dry :)

Want to make your own (although you can buy them for around $100)?
No problem.

HERE YOU GO courtesy of Loudhvx :)

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/06/14 21:05
KD9JUR

Voltage reg: this isn't rocket science 14 Jun 2006 20:49 #54576

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
  • Thank you received: 3
www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/Products.html

check this guy out; i have one of his rectifiers on my project 650; it seemed to work when i had the motor running. If you get a reg from him let me know how it works out, cause i would love to replace mine!
1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

• Page: