Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dim headlight....reserve lighting device? 20 May 2006 17:08 #48725

• taylee
  • taylee's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
My bike start and runs just fine except my headlight is very dim. I tested at the headlight and I'm getting only 3.14 or so volts no matter if I reve it up or turn engine off and leave ignition running. I'm stumped.

Could it be the reserve lighting device? What exactly does this do?

Post edited by: taylee, at: 2006/05/20 20:10
1985 GPZ750 (non-turbo)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dim headlight....reserve lighting device? 20 May 2006 21:44 #48786

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
taylee,
Please edit your signature on your profile page to include your bike's year and model. Also toss in your location in case someone near you wants to help in person.

Hopefully the dim light is a dirty connection, they are easy to fix.

Kent
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Dim headlight....reserve lighting device? 21 May 2006 15:58 #48925

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
It is most likely you have a dirty connection, or a nearly broken wire. First, take a look at the wiring diagram for your model, and trace the juice from the battery to your headlight, and from your headlight to ground. (It's amazing how indirect this route can be.) Then, check, clean and lubricate (dielectric grease) all of the connections and switches along the way. As you are doing this, check the wiring for any areas where it may be shorted out, or nearly broken (the flex point near the stearing head is a likely place for there to be broken wires inside perfectly good looking insulation.) Also, pull and replace the fuse, if needed. If your problem still exists, take a 3 foot long piece of new wire and systematically jump over sections of the wiring from connector point to connector point. Once you find the place where the voltage jumps up to 12 volts, you know you have found the portion of your wiring that needs to be repaired or replaced.

The above may seem like overkill, but I promise that your bike will need this, since the 25 year old wiring, switches and connectors need a going through after sitting outside in a damp field for all these years. View it as preventative maintenance.

What, you don't have a wiring diagram!?! Well, that means you don't have the manual either. Get one, and many of your KZ questions will magically solve themselves.

Post edited by: apeman, at: 2006/05/21 19:01
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

• Page: