Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Starter Button 20 Apr 2006 09:06 #41110

• Prune1
  • Prune1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys once again I need some help, well actually a friend of mine needs the help. He has a 1980 KZ1000E shaft drive, and I have just recently gotten it restored to running condition for him. The bike is in good condition, but the starter button doesn't work. The solinoid can be jumped and the bike will crank. So we replaced the solinoid. Same issue, the bike can be kickstarted, but when the starter button is pushed nothing happens, no clicking or cranking. Also it has a fresh battery, and all other electrical components work properly. Any ideas on whats wrong with her?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starter Button 20 Apr 2006 09:41 #41116

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
It is very likely that the starter button contacts are worn or corroded. (I have had this problem with both of my daily rider bikes.) It is easy to remove the right control, and disassemble and clean the starter button mechanism. Use a little steel wool or emery paper on the contacts, clean with alcohol, then put on a thin layer of dielectric grease (aka bulb grease). If the disassembly reveals broken or badly worn parts, you will need to replace the right control, unless you can find the internal components at a parts supplier.

Another possibility is that the clutch switch is not working. (There is a lockout switch on the clutch handle that prevents engaging the starter unless the lever is pulled in.) You may have luck cleaning this switch, but I do not believe you can disassemble it. Replacement is easy -- unplug the old, and plug in a new.
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: