Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Work on it at home or take it to the shop? 25 Feb 2006 00:04 #26276

• Ohio_Aceman
  • Ohio_Aceman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I just bought a 1982 Kz 440 LTD. My first bike btw and im pretty excited i finally have my own and can stop riding friends bikes. Its nothing too fancy just a decent starter bike but heres the thing...i got it for pretty cheap,all it needs is a starter. So im trying to determine whether i should take it into the shop to have the starter changed or just find one on ebay and do it in my backyard so to speak. Ive got decent mechanical skills and know how but is it worth the hassle to do it myself? or is it easier just to have a shop do it? also anyone have any idea on what a shop might charge for this? any help is greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Work on it at home or take it to the shop? 25 Feb 2006 00:38 #26280

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm not sure on your specific model, but I bet that thing is easy to change. I'm sure someone here will guide you through it.

First thing I would do is pick up a service manual for your bike. It will give you gobs of knowledge and cover most every repair. It's a must have that will save you time and money.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Work on it at home or take it to the shop? 25 Feb 2006 04:35 #26291

• indykaw77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Here here........grab a manual, or at least flip thru one at the bookstore or something. See what the step-by-step looks like, then decide whether or not you want to fiddle with it. If memory serves, its not TOO bad a job on the 400's. Good luck, and enjoy your ride.
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

Work on it at home or take it to the shop? 25 Feb 2006 05:28 #26295

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
Ohio_Aceman wrote:

I just bought a 1982 Kz 440 LTD.....is it worth the hassle to do it myself? or is it easier just to have a shop do it? also anyone have any idea on what a shop might charge for this?

Do it yourself! Most shops have a 10-year rule, where they won't touch anything that old.

My advice: get a "Kawasaki Shop Manual" from eBay or directly from Kawasaki, then figure it out.

By the way, it might not even be the starter itself. Since you didn't describe the problem I just want to warn you that it could be anything from the "starter clutch" to the starter to the wiring. Feel free to ask questions! And make sure to check out Ivar/Ibsen over at kz400.com, too.

Welcome! Post often...
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Work on it at home or take it to the shop? 26 Feb 2006 01:04 #26480

• Ohio_Aceman
  • User
I definetly will get a shop/service manual.
Now to the problem its having...
when you push the start button the solenoid clicks and nothing more happens. It sounds like an engine trying to start with a dead battery(btw, already checked of course and at full charge) i guess i just assumed it was the starter because every car ive seen with the same symptoms needed a starter. also the guy i bought it from changed the starter last summer but put in a used starter. It sat in his garage for the winter then when i bought it we cranked it over about three or four times and it quit turning over. luckily it still bump starts just fine for the most part. after reading some of these posts im seeing the starting system seems to be the number one problem with these 440 ltds. Once again any advice is greatly appreciated... and btw thanks for the great forum and thanks to Biquetoast for directing me to the kz400.com site, very helpful

Work on it at home or take it to the shop? 26 Feb 2006 04:59 #26493

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
Ohio_Aceman wrote:

I definetly will get a shop/service manual.
Now to the problem its having...

Well, yeah, that pretty much sounds like the starter has failed. I would make sure all the connections to the start are solid first, of course.

Just so you know, sometimes the starter *can* be rebuilt - I have read about people in here doing it.

As for Ivar; he is a member here, but he frequents this forum less these days since he is so busy over there at kz400.com. He was the first person of many here to kindly help me with my 400 (from the day I got it home), and helped me many times since. The people here - and there - are wonderful...
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Work on it at home or take it to the shop? 06 Mar 2006 03:13 #28627

• Ohio_Aceman
  • User
Good news! i downloaded the pdf files of the manual from kz400.com browsed through it, and changed the starter in about 30 min. or so. I dont know why i was fretting over it but it was a simple process. The only one problem with the whole thing is that i was litereally minutes late on bidding on one from ebay so i had to go through a local shop but it still wasnt too bad. Thanks everyone for the help i definetly will be frequenting this site a lot in the future to ask questions and offer any help i can.

Work on it at home or take it to the shop? 06 Mar 2006 16:13 #28772

• NOS
  • User
Your first time fixing/modifying a motorcycle is a scary feeling. But, after the first project, you feel like you can fix anything (within reason ;) )
Gratz, and good luck with your first bike :)

• Page: