Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sickly kz650 - Electronic ignition questions 01 Jul 2007 09:55 #154036

• kc5deb
  • kc5deb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I'll be quick to the point, but, first I'll describe how I got to this point.

About a week ago, I was riding, and the bike just decided to start running like crap; popping, and wanting to die at every stop sign. I was also smelling gas.

I was able to make it to my house, and kill it for the night. The next day, I rode it to my neighbors house to let him listen to it, and by the time I got there, I had oil with gas dribbling out the bottem (draining out the airbox).

Taking the carbs apart, I found nothing wrong except for the drains for the bowls were plugged. I cleaned up the carbs, and changed the oil and filters a few times, and put everything back together.

I also realized that I had sometime or another left the pitcock on "prime", and when on the kickstand, it overflowed the bowls, and since the overflows were plugged, it dumped more gas into the oil via the cylinders. That was my own dumb mistake...

Now, after getting it back together, it runs rough, and we're to the point to where I'm at now.

I have discovered that the 1 and 4 plugs weren't getting fire, and after cleaning the points, none of the plugs are getting fire now... The 1 and 4 points aren't sparking, and now, neither are the 2 and 3. Good time to upgrade to the dyna s ignition system, I thought. So, I'm ordering it today.

NOW, to my questions.

Would the points failing on the 1 and 4 cause the problems that started all this, and be the reason as to why gas was dumped into the oil? It makes sense; no fire, gas doesn't ignite, and goes past the rings into the oil.

Will the Dyna S system be an easy install and easy to time? What performance/starting differences will I see?

I see also the MK 3 ignition kit. Is it comparible to the Dyna S, better, worse?

Thank yall all in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sickly kz650 - Electronic ignition questions 01 Jul 2007 14:26 #154065

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
my first thought is you killed the plugs, put a new set in, I would also put in a new set of pints and condensers.
I have dynas on my bikes and like them less problems in my opinion.

I am in the Houston area, are you close?
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Sickly kz650 - Electronic ignition questions 01 Jul 2007 19:58 #154133

• kc5deb
  • kc5deb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
I wouldn't say "close"... I'm about an hour south of Lubbock, and about 12 hours from Houston.

Thanks for the advice; you've made me really consider the Dyna-S.

As soon as brother time allows, I'll go back and check the plugs, and make sure they're not in horrible shape. Shouldn't be too bad; they're only a few months old.

Sickly kz650 - Electronic ignition questions 02 Jul 2007 05:00 #154174

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
even if they are only a few mths old, if you gas foul them they are dead, plugs are only a couple of bucks. I have killed several sets while working on carbs.

I grew up in odessa, old stomping ground
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Sickly kz650 - Electronic ignition questions 02 Jul 2007 06:00 #154181

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
kc5deb wrote:

I'll be quick to the point, but, first I'll describe how I got to this point.

About a week ago, I was riding, and the bike just decided to start running like crap; popping, and wanting to die at every stop sign. I was also smelling gas.

I was able to make it to my house, and kill it for the night. The next day, I rode it to my neighbors house to let him listen to it, and by the time I got there, I had oil with gas dribbling out the bottem (draining out the airbox).

Taking the carbs apart, I found nothing wrong except for the drains for the bowls were plugged. I cleaned up the carbs, and changed the oil and filters a few times, and put everything back together.

I also realized that I had sometime or another left the pitcock on "prime", and when on the kickstand, it overflowed the bowls, and since the overflows were plugged, it dumped more gas into the oil via the cylinders. That was my own dumb mistake...

Now, after getting it back together, it runs rough, and we're to the point to where I'm at now.

I have discovered that the 1 and 4 plugs weren't getting fire, and after cleaning the points, none of the plugs are getting fire now... The 1 and 4 points aren't sparking, and now, neither are the 2 and 3. Good time to upgrade to the dyna s ignition system, I thought. So, I'm ordering it today.

NOW, to my questions.

Would the points failing on the 1 and 4 cause the problems that started all this, and be the reason as to why gas was dumped into the oil? It makes sense; no fire, gas doesn't ignite, and goes past the rings into the oil.

Will the Dyna S system be an easy install and easy to time? What performance/starting differences will I see?

I see also the MK 3 ignition kit. Is it comparible to the Dyna S, better, worse?

Thank yall all in advance!

Besides ignition issues, would also consider the following:

FLOAT LEVEL --

Here's a link to one of several informative threads about this. Easy to find more help and pictures by doing a search for "float level" or "clear plastic tube."

float level

It's a quick easy check without removing anything from the bike. But the adjustment, if needed, is more involved.

FLOAT NEEDLE/SEAT INTERFACE --

Here's a link to some info regarding fuel in the airbox and crankcase.

fuel in boots

A search on float needle or other key words should produce several more helpful links.

If the float bowls have overflows, one or more may be obstructed allowing fuel to keep on rising upward in the carbs. With carbs equipped with overflows, excess fuel should escape from the float bowls through the overflow outlets (before rising high enough to reach the carb throat).

Good luck with the repairs. :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Sickly kz650 - Electronic ignition questions 02 Jul 2007 06:45 #154193

• Snakebyte
  • User
Do you have an inline fuel filter? You might have dirt in your fuel preventing the float to shut the fuel off.
If it was fine before, and you know that the floats whernt tampered with I would leave the floats alone. Though it is very easy to check the float level.

I have an electronic ignition my my bike from a newer bike and like the MATAINENCE FREE issue with it. I cant speak for the dyna cause I dont have one. My sugestion would to get the kit with coils so the ohms match. Also run to the nearest boat place and get some universal ignition wire for a Evinrude outboard engine. The ignition wire comes on a spool for .89 a foot and it is solid core wire:) . You will have to buy the wire ends for the coil side IF you deside to get the newer coils, as the stock ones screw in and the after market are push in style.

• Page: