Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hard Wired Coils? 25 Jun 2007 19:12 #152685

• Z1Boise
  • Z1Boise's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've got a '75 Z1B 900, and I was planning to change the spark plug wires. However, they attach to the coils pretty firmly, and, even though there is a boot over that connection, the plug wire fits so tightly that I wonder if it could be hard wired. I'm reluctant to just yank the h*ll out of it until it comes loose. That technique has caused me much grief in the past.

Does anyone know whether it might be hard wired? Should I just grab and pull like a mutha? Shown below is the plug wire as it connects to the coil, bit the boot folded back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hard Wired Coils? 25 Jun 2007 19:22 #152687

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
If their like my '78 650, they're not meant to come out. :(
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Hard Wired Coils? 25 Jun 2007 19:53 #152700

• Z1Boise
  • User
So, new plug wires means new coils? $#!+.

Hard Wired Coils? 25 Jun 2007 19:58 #152701

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
Z1Boise wrote:

Well, there are NGK splicers you can find on ebay (I bought a set my self), you can also just cut back about a 1/2 inch of wire off the end to get rid of the corrosion.

Or, if you want to get all the milk outta that Z1 kaw, then yes, get some new coils... and wires...

:laugh:
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Hard Wired Coils? 25 Jun 2007 19:58 #152702

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Z1Boise wrote:

Here's a plug wire splicer from Z1E. :)

splicer
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Hard Wired Coils? 25 Jun 2007 20:36 #152712

• Z1Boise
  • User
How did the splicers work? Get an improved spark?

I'm fighting a sooty plug problem, so spark is important to me. Tried the wiredgeoge relay, which helped, but still having a stumble at low rpm, and the 3rd cylinder runs cooler than the others. 3 of 4 plugs sooty.

I guess I can spring for a new set of coils, but dang it, a guy ought to be able to change spark plug wires without buying coils as well.

I do appreciate the link to the splicers, and the info.

Hard Wired Coils? 26 Jun 2007 03:16 #152745

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
Z1Boise wrote:

How did the splicers work? Get an improved spark?

I'm fighting a sooty plug problem, so spark is important to me. Tried the wiredgeoge relay, which helped, but still having a stumble at low rpm, and the 3rd cylinder runs cooler than the others. 3 of 4 plugs sooty.....

The splicers are njust like you'd imagine them to be - you cut the wire wherever you want, attach the splicer, then attach your new wire to the other end. The only problem is, you have to be certain that (a) your coil is still good and (b) you're certain you've cut out the bad part of the wire. I ended up going that route...

I had the exact same symptoms a while back. For me, the relay mod solved my sooty plug problem. Before that, I was like 99% certain the carbs were set correctly, but couldn't get rid of the sooty plugs. So the realy mod is the second best change I made to the bike.

After the relay mod, I still had the stammer/stumble problem, most notably at lower idle. Then I started to realize the problem was worse as the bike was warmer... so I sprung for a dyna coil and some wires, and viola - no more problem. The coil replacement was the single best change I made to my bike(s)...
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Hard Wired Coils? 26 Jun 2007 03:18 #152746

• beardog63
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
i used the splicers to put new plugs and caps on my 75 z1 made a big difference!:laugh: :P

Hard Wired Coils? 26 Jun 2007 12:14 #152878

• Z1Boise
  • User
I'm leaning toward springing for new coils. The splicers would be $30, and that's a good chunk toward new coils.

The bike sat for 6 years, some in garage, some outside. I got the carbs cleaned up, and katjbus synced them for me so I think the carb piece is in pretty good shape, but it's still stumbling around 2-3k, and still fouling the plugs.

So I'm thinking, what type of stuff goes wrong when the bike just sits, because it ran great when I parked it. That line of thought led me to conclude that the connections could corrode, and rubber deteriorate, etc, implicating the electrical system. Valves wouldn't go out of adjustment, though I'm going to check them in the next few days.

A thought; I recently insulated the baffle in my kerker 4-1 exhaust to quiet it down. I wonder if that would reduce exhaust airflow, thereby making it too rich. I'll try it without the insulation for a bit before I order the coils.

Here's a decent sized pic of the bike. Notice how the sun has faded the side plastic covers and turned them green. Same way on top of the tank.

Hard Wired Coils? 26 Jun 2007 15:35 #152920

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
Z1Boise wrote:

...Here's a decent sized pic of the bike. Notice how the sun has faded the side plastic covers and turned them green. Same way on top of the tank.

(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Hard Wired Coils? 26 Jun 2007 15:44 #152923

• themachine
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Biquetoast wrote:

Z1Boise wrote:

...Here's a decent sized pic of the bike. Notice how the sun has faded the side plastic covers and turned them green. Same way on top of the tank.

looks like a british racing gren now :cheer:
82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

• Page: