Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wire equivalents 21 Jun 2007 12:28 #151517

• Gidian9
  • Gidian9's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have an 82 KZ440. The wire that runs from my solenoid to the starter is apparently cracked inside the insulation because at times it will give out and the bike will not have sufficient power to start. The dealer want to charge me 45 dollars for the part and I think that is crap. Does anyone have any suggestions about equivalents or the best way to fashion something like that?
KZ440 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wire equivalents 21 Jun 2007 13:35 #151531

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Gidian9,

I sent you a PM.

Kent
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Wire equivalents 21 Jun 2007 20:34 #151652

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Sure; go to the autoparts store and buy a long 6 gauge multistand battery wire... either positive or negative depending on whether you like red or black. Many autoparts stores sell corresponding brass battery terminal connectors which will work fine; you might have to use a steel washer to make them fit the lugs on the starter and solenoid. The brass connectors are fit on the conductor after stripping a bit of insulator and you crimp them with a punch. One of these battery cables will cost less than $5. They sell battery cables in a variety of lengths and I generally buy enough to make up a bunch of ground and hot cables...
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Wire equivalents 21 Jun 2007 20:49 #151658

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
or if you know any electricians talk one out of some fine stranded 4ga wire.automotive cables tend to have coarser strands of wire which has more resistance and doesnt hold up as well to vibrating bikes tend to do;)
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• Page: