Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Coil lugs 19 Jun 2007 18:35 #150979

• Z1Boise
  • Z1Boise's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I am trying to do wiredgeorge's coil power supply mod, and was first going to check the voltage at the coils. My coil don't have lugs that the wires attach to. The wires go into the coils, and are covered by a glob of hard goop.

So, do I just clip the wire, leaving a short piece attached to the coil, and attach the new power wire to that? Or do I have to get new coils.

farm2.static.flickr.com/1148/572162390_18dcf74208.jpg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Coil lugs 19 Jun 2007 20:26 #151008

• User
  • Thank you received: 3
Just attach as close to coil as possible, solder wires and heat shink the connection's, good to go..
Try not to use crimp connections they will only cause you trouble down the road.

Post edited by: 1045, at: 2007/06/19 23:26

Coil lugs 20 Jun 2007 07:08 #151085

• Z1Boise
  • User
Okay. Not being much of an electrical guy, I'm wondering...

If I attach the 12 gauge wire to the wire coming out of the coil, which looks smaller, around 18 gauge, do I gain anything? Is it like attaching a larger pipe to a smaller one. No matter what can flow through the large pipe, the limits of the small pipe will determine what gets through?

Definitely agree about solder vs. crimp connections.

Oh, and a final question. Before I do the mod, is there a way to check voltage at the coil? There is no exposed metal at the coil to place the lead on. At the junction preceding the coil, a foot or so away, I measured about 11.5 volts, not running, which is a drop of about a volt from the battery, not running. Running at 3k rpm, I got very close to a steady 14 volts, idling around 12.5-13 v.

Coil lugs 20 Jun 2007 12:16 #151171

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
If you strip a bit of insulation where you are going to cut the power wire coming off the coil, you could check there before the cut. I wouldn't bother using 12 ga. wire to connect to the power wire... seems a tad excessive as that is some thick wire. The power wire is probably 18 ga.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Coil lugs 20 Jun 2007 15:27 #151223

• Z1Boise
  • User
Good point, and I'm glad you mentioned it. For some reason, I had read your instructions as running 12 gauge to the coils. Upon a closer look, I see that the 12 gauge is just up to the relay from the power side.

And BTW, thanks for putting up the relay mod info on your site, and for all the help you give folks here.

Coil lugs 20 Jun 2007 16:03 #151230

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Z1Boise wrote:

...And BTW, thanks for putting up the relay mod info on your site, and for all the help you give folks here.

I whole-heartedly agree. And should be expressed more often. Thanks, wg! You da McDaddy. :cheer:
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Page: