Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

At my wits end with this Dyna S 27 May 2007 09:20 #143916

• XL777
  • XL777's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well yesterday I just said screw it and I put it all back together and started it. After a bit of cranking it actaully started and ran for about 5 mins. I didn't run it for much longer since I had a few leaks :( I did notice that I had to use a battery booster to get it going since it drained the bat. after a few cranks. Could this be from the extra power of the coils? It was a new batter last year and it was stored in side warm all winter. So once I solve the fuel leaks (old gaskets) and a few other issues I will run it some more. If its not set up what damage could be done?
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE black

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
Fresh top end rebuild
Rebuilt head
Wiseco 1015 pistons
Dyna s
Green Dyna coils
Wired george mod

It is easier to say what I haven't replaced then what I have.

I must love this cruel mistress since she hates me

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

At my wits end with this Dyna S 27 May 2007 12:08 #143978

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
A battery will self-discharge over time especially if it has sat for months. So, if it hasn't seen a charger in a long while, give it a good trickle charge.

No, the coils won't draw significantly more power as the starter accounts for the mass majority of the power drawn from the battery during cranking and the coils don't amount to much by comparison. Your battery should be good enough that it can stay at around 12.5 volts for a few days with no load attached to it.

I doubt there is enough adjustment range in the Dyna to cause damage. I started by mounting the plate in the middle of the slot on top. The initial setup required that I adjust it counter-clockwise a slight bit. Then I trimmed the individual pickups just the slightest bit with the aid of the timing light.

The fact that you had it running is encouraging. Next time you can test it with a timing light and get it spot on.
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

At my wits end with this Dyna S 28 May 2007 06:39 #144194

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Ok... I tried reading all this thread but got tired after reading a bit so excuse me if I go over something that has already been gone over.

1. left pickup is for 1/4 and right is for 2/3
2. take off rotor and LOOK AT IT! It has a small dimple the size of a pencil eraser. READ THE DIRECTIONS... at 1/4 TDC, I believe dimple is oriented to the left at about 9 oclock... READ THE DIRECTIONS as my memory is bad. If you put the rotor on backwards, the wires will be backwards.
3. trace left pickup wire regardless of colors, etc, to the LEFT COIL as you sit on the bike. This should be a black wire... It should be the 1/4 coil with the 1/4 plug wires attached. Trace the right pickup coil wire to the right coil and 2/3 plugs.

If you do these things, the Dyna S will be hooked up correctly. They have ONLINE .pdf file instructions and READ the bit about installing the rotor!!!

Once you have it hooked up right, use a timing light to set the timing. The static thing is more or less a waste of time. I can explain how to use a timing light, if needed. If you have problems and think the thing is defective, contact the seller or Dynaonline.com tech support.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: