Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ignition Switch 12 May 2007 00:01 #139333

• chupinator
  • chupinator's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi. I just bought a 76 kz900 about 4 hours ago and have a few questions. The biggest one is what the ignition switch in the right-most position does. Also is there a fork lock on it. I ordered a clymer manual but im impatient. Just one more, do I need a battery to get it to turn over?

Thanks
1976 KZ900 A4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ignition Switch 12 May 2007 00:23 #139337

• AR15Ron
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
chupinator wrote:

Hi. I just bought a 76 kz900 about 4 hours ago and have a few questions. The biggest one is what the ignition switch in the right-most position does. Also is there a fork lock on it. I ordered a clymer manual but im impatient. Just one more, do I need a battery to get it to turn over?

Thanks

The furthest key position is the Park position. When the key is turned to that position it lights the parking light('s) such as the tail light, your hazard lights will work if you want them to, the ignition system is NOT powered and you can take the key out and walk away with it. I think the intention is for if you break down somewhere, but I've never had the owners manual to any bike I've ever owned so I'm just guessing :)
There should be a fork lock on it, unless someone removed it. It will be under the part of the frame where the tubes come together under the handlebars and I think the lock sticks out the right side (passenger side).
You can use the kick start to turn it over without a battery but it's not a good idea to try and actually RUN the bike without a battery. Besides the risk of shorting out wiring it isnt designed to run without the capacitance of a battery, you could even damage the charging system. I wouldnt bother taking any risks, just buy a battery, even Walmart carries them for that bike!

Ron

Ignition Switch 12 May 2007 20:27 #139572

• chupinator
  • chupinator's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Ron! The plastic that has the writing on it is worn off in that spot. My dad pointed the fork lock out to me while we were working on it today. I was looking for one on top of the triple tree like on my dads vulcan. Thanks again.
1976 KZ900 A4

• Page: