Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

kz1000 shaft drive....how to wire up the coils? 30 Jan 2007 13:36 #109194

• SKEPTYKAL
  • SKEPTYKAL's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
can someone help me find a diagram that will show me how to wire up both coils on this bike?...my bike is a shaft driven kz1000 trike i believe it to be a late 70's or early 80's? the harness is missing...she's ready to start except for the coils...i need to know were the coils get power from and what wires connect the two together, were they ground out at and so on!...if anyone can give me a few pointers i will be grateful...thankyou:woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kz1000 shaft drive....how to wire up the coils? 30 Jan 2007 19:31 #109279

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The power for OEM coils is via a ballast resistor. The primary impedence for the stock coils is 2.5 Ohms and the inline ballast resistor adds 1.5 Ohms. Power comes from the MAIN fuse via a heavy white wire; probably 14 ga. to the ignition switch. When the ignition switch is turned to the ON position, power comes out the switch on a wire (can't recall which color) through a large white connector and goes to the right hand switch gear to the kill switch. Out of the kill switch, two wires come out. One loops to the starter button and the other voltage out is a yellow/red wire. This wire comes back via the big connector that connects it back into the main harness. The yellow/red goes into a ballast resistor bolted to the battery box on the left side. This thing is a white ceramic block looking deal. The yellow/red comes out of the ballast resistor and goes back through the main harness where it comes out above the valve cover in a dual out connector. From here, two red or pink wires plug into the dual out connector and go into a Y where one of the two legs connects to a connector lug on the OEM coil in the front of the coil. The other coil connection (the other lug) is the "ground" or signal from the pickup coils via the igniter box. Out of the igniter box is a major connector. This connector has a number of wires but one is black and one is green. The GREEN wire is the wire that comes from the RIGHT pickup coil... the 2/3 pickup coil and should be connected to the right hand ignition coil. The BLACK wire should be connected to the left coil which becomes the 1/4 coil. These wires connect to the other lug on the front of each coil that isn't connected to the power. It doesn't matter which wire goes to which lug.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

kz1000 shaft drive....how to wire up the coils? 31 Jan 2007 12:05 #109393

• SKEPTYKAL
  • SKEPTYKAL's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
thankyou very much...when the rain stops i will get on it..you've been a great help!:)

• Page: