Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

cylinder's not firing 27 Oct 2006 22:48 #87936

• rubberlips
  • rubberlips's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
hellow it's me again.the #1 &2 cylinder's are ice cold,#3 &4 are hot fine.could this be electrical are the carbs.thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cylinder's not firing 27 Oct 2006 23:07 #87944

• SpokeWheel650B
  • User
Likely not to be ignition related. Cylinders 1-4 & 2-3 are paired and fire together making it a safe bet your lacking either fuel or dealing with low comp.
Take a comp check first and post what you find.

cylinder's not firing 27 Oct 2006 23:12 #87946

• rubberlips
  • User
hi i did a compression test last week all cylinders read 160 give or take a couple LBS.thanks

cylinder's not firing 27 Oct 2006 23:23 #87950

• SpokeWheel650B
  • User
Great, thats a very good number:) OK, pull those two plugs wires and CONFIRM you have spark over there at the plugs (not fouled IE black colored). Drop a set of new plugs in if their at all suspect.
IF you have good spark (should be OK with 3&4 firing) the try feeding 1&2 carbs with carb spray while it's running on 3&4. If it's starving for fuel on those two cyl then the engine will imediately pick up when you spray at the carbs throats.

Post back when you know about the plugs,

good luck!

Ray

cylinder's not firing 27 Oct 2006 23:51 #87952

• rubberlips
  • User
ok i got good spark on all plugs.

cylinder's not firing 28 Oct 2006 01:55 #87959

• rubberlips
  • User
hellow again.i sprayed carb cleaner at the carb throat's no change in engin.so i took the carb's off again and checked pilot and main jet's no blockage's.sprayed everything with carb cleaner and compressed air put them back on nothing no change.i got spark at the plug,s no blockage's ,what else could it be.

cylinder's not firing 28 Oct 2006 02:09 #87960

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
rubberlips wrote:

i sprayed carb cleaner at the carb throat's no change in engin.so i took the carb's off again and checked pilot and main jet's no blockage's.sprayed everything with carb cleaner and compressed air put them back on nothing no change.i got spark at the plug,s no blockage's ,what else could it be.

By chance have you tried spraying starting fluid (instead of carb cleaner) into throats of carbs for the missing cylinders? Thinking this might ignite better and if the missing cylinders momentarily fire would indicate something maybe still wrong inside the carbs.

Just a thought.
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

cylinder's not firing 28 Oct 2006 04:25 #87962

• rubberlips
  • User
hi.no i havent tried that yet. i turned off the bike and went over the plug's again incase there was a loose connection i found nothing.now it wont start,and a huge back fire nearly gave me a heart attack.

cylinder's not firing 28 Oct 2006 09:06 #87996

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
This is a shot in the dark and may be way way off target, but are you able to determine from visually inspecting the cold plugs on #1 and #2 whether they are wet with raw gas (which might indicate a too rich condition causing flooding and making it impossible to fire) or are they staying bone dry (which might indicate a too lean condition without sufficient incoming mixture to fire)? If the non-firing can be narrowed down to a mixture problem of either way rich or way lean, this should assist in the diagnosis and remedy. For example, float level might be too high (rich - allowing too much fuel) or too low (lean - not allowing enough fuel). Just my thoughts pending arrival of better ideas from those blessed with far more carb savy than me. By the way, with backfiring involved, please be extra careful about spraying starter fluid in or around the carbs.
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

cylinder's not firing 28 Oct 2006 12:03 #88045

• rubberlips
  • User
hellow and thanks for all the advice.right now the bike is purring like a kitten.when i checked the plug's this morning they were sparking .it must just have been the way they were twisted ,cause i said i would recheck the timming when i did the timing light was going off and on,i dont mean the usual flicker.i took off the #1 lead it was cracked right through u would hardly see it ,these are a week old.well i fixed that put in NGK6 plugs instead of NGK7,put in a main jet of 22.5 and a pilot of 17.5,resynced the carb's.and now it;s ideling at 1250 rvs,no problem with power,i took it for a short drive it never went better, thoes pod's are loud though.if it stay;s this way now i will be as happy as a pig in s--t.thanks again for all the help .

• Page: