Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The dreaded pod filter flat spot in performance, return to original airbox? 11 Jul 2023 08:41 #887108

• kz750spectre
  • kz750spectre's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
We are all aware of the pitfalls when using pod filters, I know it's a controversial subject. They were on my bike when I purchased it and there was no real tuning done on it by the previous owner. I've noticed it runs well when cruising at lower RPMs and even moderate throttle it accelerates fine. However when I floor the bike I notice power gradually cuts out up until 6500-7000 RPM where it seems to hit a dead zone. It's funny because sometimes it seems to overcome this dead zone and start flying like a rocket. Other times it seems to get stuck here and feel down on power. I have attributed this to the CV slides not working properly due to the K&N pod filters. Honestly I'd just like to put the original airbox back on. The previous owner gave it to me in a Walmart bag so I don't really have a solid idea of what way it goes on. If anyone had a diagram that'd be great. Anyways, do you think putting the stock airbox back on would possibly rectify this issue? The previous owner claims it has a jet kit in it but I know that pods are notorious for being hard to tune in.

I forgot to mention the bike is a KZ750 Spectre.
-KzJM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by kz750spectre.

The dreaded pod filter flat spot in performance, return to original airbox? 11 Jul 2023 08:49 #887111

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 657
Contact zed1015 (Rob) to get air corrector jets and how to fit them. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

The dreaded pod filter flat spot in performance, return to original airbox? 11 Jul 2023 10:11 #887114

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2627

We are all aware of the pitfalls when using pod filters, I know it's a controversial subject. They were on my bike when I purchased it and there was no real tuning done on it by the previous owner. I've noticed it runs well when cruising at lower RPMs and even moderate throttle it accelerates fine. However when I floor the bike I notice power gradually cuts out up unil 6500-7000 RPM where it seems to hit a dead zone. It's funny because sometimes it seems to overcome this deadzone and start flying like a rocket. Other times it seems to get stuck here and feel down on power. I have attributed this to the CV slides not working properly due to the K&N pod filters. Honestly I'd just like to put the original airbox back on. The previous owner gave it to me in a Walmart bag so I don't really have a solid idea of what way it goes on. If anyone had a diagram that'd be great. Anyways, do you think putting the stock airbox back on would possibly rectify this issue? The previous owner claims it has a jet kit in it but I know that pods are notorious for being hard to tune in.

I went through the pod phase years ago. The problems I was having wasn't the jetting, it was the air passing by my legs creating a vortex starving the engine of air flow. It was explained as the speed increases the more negative air pressure is present at the intakes. The airbox being in the frame actually has more positive air pressure as the speed increases. I went back to the airbox and the carbs worked as they should.  When I got my VM33's I had a KZ900 airbox handy so I cut the holes larger and used large hose for the intake boots. It works great.   I'll never go back to pods. 
BTW riding in the rain with pods sucked too. 
Steve

The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, 78kawltd, howardhb, kz750spectre

The dreaded pod filter flat spot in performance, return to original airbox? 11 Jul 2023 10:58 #887116

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2679
The 750 Spectre uses Keihin CV34 carbs.  Does Rob sell air correction inserts for those?  

If the stock jetting and airbox are installed, you can be assured that the bike will run correctly when done.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb, kz750spectre

The dreaded pod filter flat spot in performance, return to original airbox? 11 Jul 2023 17:07 #887131

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 298
A correctly installed DynoJet jet kit would not have that problem.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

The following user(s) said Thank You: oldkaws4ever, Nessism, slayer61

The dreaded pod filter flat spot in performance, return to original airbox? 12 Jul 2023 05:26 #887138

• Injected
  • User
  • Thank you received: 413

The 750 Spectre uses Keihin CV34 carbs.  Does Rob sell air correction inserts for those? 

Yes he does.
Would install those first before moving to Dyno Jet kit.

The dreaded pod filter flat spot in performance, return to original airbox? 02 Aug 2023 11:27 #887844

• kz750spectre
  • kz750spectre's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Where would someone find these devices?

-KzJM

The dreaded pod filter flat spot in performance, return to original airbox? 02 Aug 2023 12:59 #887851

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1801

Where would someone find these devices?

Take a look at Zed1015's profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: kz750spectre

Last edit: by Wookie58.
  • Page: