Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

What model carbs? 11 Mar 2020 17:19 #820772

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 503
I got burned by the same seller is 2012. He listed a set of handlebar bolts, with a photo showing the correct bolts along with the Kawasaki part number tag.
The bolts I received looked nothing like the bolts shown in the auction. Totally different head, nothing like the originals. When I called him on it, he said he had forgotten to update the photo to show the revised factory part. Those were not factory parts.
The photo on the action page was clearly intended to be deceptive.
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by DOHC.

What model carbs? 11 Mar 2020 21:08 #820783

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
Some of those LTD's had the crappy 26mm pumpers also. Not to confuse anyone. But years ago we eliminated the pumpers. It was for the extremely lean carbs to meet Gov. emissions! They came with 105 main jets. We machined about .020" off the back side of the throttle valve at the angle. put bigger pilot jets, bigger mains of course and dropped the c-clip on the needle all the down. And back then! Sure wish we had Zed1015's corrector jets!
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

What model carbs? 12 Mar 2020 18:48 #820816

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1856
I don't want to come off as a salesman for a foreign company but I just received Keyster kits today from the Japanese company that were ordered on March 5th, One week to receive kits that average $40 per kits and about $28 in shipping. I will purchase from them again.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

What model carbs? 12 Mar 2020 19:04 #820817

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2674

Mikaw wrote: I don't want to come off as a salesman for a foreign company but I just received Keyster kits today from the Japanese company that were ordered on March 5th, One week to receive kits that average $40 per kits and about $28 in shipping. I will purchase from them again.

That's a lot of money. Unless the factory jets are damaged I don't typically replace them when rebuilding carbs. Also, "carb kits" typically don't include the interconnect tube O-rings so you still need to chase those down regardless.
The following user(s) said Thank You: baldy110

What model carbs? 12 Mar 2020 19:24 #820819

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1856
That's a lot of money. Unless the factory jets are damaged I don't typically replace them when rebuilding carbs. Also, "carb kits" typically don't include the interconnect tube O-rings so you still need to chase those down regardless.[/quote]

I would agree normally, but the used carb rack I purchased didn't have any main jet and only one pilot jet, So factoring the cost for those missing items and Not having any additional jets to aid in tuning I weighed my options and keyster was the biggest bang for my buck. On top of that I received new float needle and seats and extremely nice rubber float bowl gaskets. If your revering to these O-Rings you are correct they didn't come in the kit. and they were sourced from an additional company.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

What model carbs? 12 Mar 2020 20:07 #820820

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
I've bought a few Keyster kits for Z1 carbs. They are the only kits I've found that include a needle jet. Unfortunately they include a lot of stuff that I would never use...three pilots, six main jets, four needles... They are made for an enthusiast who likes to change things up. That's not me. I rebuild them back to stock and don't need all the extra stuff. But I've seen the improvement when the needle jets are changed so I'll continue to buy Keyster kits. Oh..I really like their gaskets too.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

What model carbs? 14 Mar 2020 19:47 #820927

• Rich K.
  • Rich K.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

hardrockminer wrote: I know him well. My experience with him have been excellent. I bought two tires off him a couple of months ago.

Full disclosure...he is also one of my Facebook friends.

Yeah, we communicated and he told me he'd change the ad. Apparently his supplier started sending him the Sudco kits instead of Keyster. And, someone told me Sudco is an OEM supplier. I had gotten royally screwed a couple years ago in a "bait-and-switch" where what I actually received was not what was shown (and was a very poor substitute, at that), so I'm afraid I over-reacted a bit. All's good now. Just waiting for enough snow to melt out of our back yard so I can get the bike out of the shed and out to the garage so I can actually work on it.

What model carbs? 15 Mar 2020 05:18 #820942

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
My first encounter with Marcel was about 5 years ago. He had entered a marvellously restored Z1 into the vintage bike show in Chilliwack. He lives in Seattle, not far from where I lived near Vancouver. I've never seen him on any forums but I keep in contact on Facebook.

I had a bait and switch issue with an ebayer too. I ordered a supposed NOS master cylinder cap and got a cheap plastic replica when it showed up. The ebayer claimed I had switched! After a couple of weeks of swearing at each other I complained to ebay and they forced him to return my money.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

What model carbs? 15 Mar 2020 08:58 #820957

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
Another issue with any carb kit is they do not include mikuni jets so the jets sizes are a mystery. The number stamped on the jet most likely is not going to be the same size as a mikuni jet. Same with the needle jet i would rather use a used mikuni needle jet over a new unknown sized one. You can buy new mikuni jets and gaskets cheaper than the aftermarket carb kits.
Everytime someone sends me a set of carbs to rebuild the first thing I do is to verify the jets. If they are not mikuni I toss them in the trash and put in the correct ones. You'd be amazed at the mixed match jets I've seen. The customer will tell me they can't get the carbs dialed in. When I check the jets they have aftermarket mixed with mikuni ot other aftermarket jets.

• Page: