Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Stupid Question: Formed vs Unformed (round) Float Bowl Gasket 18 Sep 2018 22:35 #791121

• GetSlideways
  • GetSlideways's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Bike: KZ400D
Year: 1977
Carb Status: Stock

I was looking at picking up some fuel bowl seals, and came across some formed sets that looked like this:

Then I started thinking it might be worth while to pickup a more inclusive rebuild kit for a few bucks more, just to have some extra parts on hand (so far the carbs seem in pretty good shape after the first teardown but you never know, better to be prepared). Each time the bowl seals were offered as part of a kit, they were unformed, just round o rings:

I originally liked the formed gaskets since they matched the shape of my current sealing surface, however I am wondering if there is really much difference between the formed and unformed? Any real benefit to one over the other? Is it worth it to buy them separately to get the formed? Or am I just completely over thinking this lol At first I thought they might have even been the wrong gaskets since they didnt match my bowl shape, then a bit more reading lead me to this point here.

Thank you all for your time.
Current Project: 1977 KZ400D (DOOMER)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by GetSlideways.

Stupid Question: Formed vs Unformed (round) Float Bowl Gasket 19 Sep 2018 05:09 #791124

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675
I use the round type, purchased in bulk from an O-ring store. A dot of adhesive, I use superglue, is required at each corner otherwise the O=ring wants to pop out of the groove in the float bowl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Nessism.
  • Page: