Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1977 KZ400 D Petcock Compatibility or Source for wavy spring/washer 18 Sep 2018 22:14 #791119

• GetSlideways
  • GetSlideways's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Bike: kz400d
Year: 1977

My petcock on my new project bike didn't work. No matter the position it would leak fuel. Took it apart today to find that the previous owner added in an o-ring, making every passageway open to every other passageway.

They had it: cover plate --> selector lever ---> o ring ----> 4 hole gasket

The o ring made extra space causing it to be impossible for the selector level to seal against the 4 hole gasket.

From the tech manual I looked at, it looked like is SHOULD have been:

Cover plate --> wavy spring/washer ----> Selector lever ----> 4 hole gasket

The issue now is I cannot seem to find the wavy washer/spring online anywhere and what I have been reading says the kz400D may have an oddball mounting spacing. Is this true? Does anyone know of compatible petcock assemblies or where to get the missing wavy spring? Thank you for your time!

I am also wondering if maybe the Honda 16950-300-020 Petcock might be interchangeable, it looks pretty similar with the exception of two downward outlets vs one Side outlet, but I would have to measure my hole spacing in the morning to be certain, just not sure if anyone else knew off hand:

Several Petcocks online are tagged with "KZ400" but then dont fit. For example this Amazon one:

www.amazon.com/Valve-Petcock-KAWASAKI-KZ...rcycle/dp/B00B4XDO8M

The review section is riddled with people saying it doesn't fit their KZ400D. So that is why I am wondering if the KZ400D is an oddball of the group or if I am just not looking in the right places for a readily available compatible replacement. Most of the old threads I came across on other sites that were discussing this topic, had links that no longer worked.

Thank you again for your time!
Current Project: 1977 KZ400D (DOOMER)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by GetSlideways.

1977 KZ400 D Petcock Compatibility or Source for wavy spring/washer 19 Sep 2018 05:14 #791125

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
  • Thank you received: 376
The PO probably meant for the o-ring to replace the washer and just put it together wrong. Not sure if it would work anyway.
I don't think the Honda petcock is a direct replacement for the KZ400D petcock. Considering how difficult it has been to find the 4 hole gasket I'm sure that would have come up...
However, I do know the early Honda CB750 4 hole gasket is a suitable replacement for the KZ400D gasket. As for the washer you may have to source that from a salvage petcock. And yes, parts are sometimes difficult to find for these models.
Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

1977 KZ400 D Petcock Compatibility or Source for wavy spring/washer 19 Sep 2018 07:20 #791129

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
When you get around to measuring the bolt hole spacing, can you post the info here? Thanks.
The spacing looks pretty narrow. The only sizes I know of are 34mm & 44mm. If it's 34mm, there are various Yamaha manual fuel valves that could be used. search eebbaayy for Yamaha Raptor fuel cock or Yamaha Grizzly. They come in various styles, some of which fit close to the tank in case carb top clearance is an issue. And they are pretty cheap. around $20 for an OEM, made in Japan part is cheap.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

1977 KZ400 D Petcock Compatibility or Source for wavy spring/washer 02 Oct 2018 16:01 #791728

• GetSlideways
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationLittle update,

after doing some measuring , it looks like the CB550 wavy washer (16960-268-010) would possibly work:
(i took a rough measurements of the petcock area this morning and it was about .88inch max outside diameter and the center section was .66inch min insider diameter, so it would LOOK like the honda washer would fit, because if you photoshop the washer directly over the ruler it looks to be about 7/8" outside diameter .0875)

However then I need a new 4 hole gasket as mine is deformed from the oring pushing on it unevenly, then if I am going to do that, I might as well get a new filter and tank seal.... the parts lists starts growing for something I am not even 100% sure will fit, when for not much more I can shoot for a possible new one:

I think I may give the Honda unit (16950-300-020) a go and gamble on it. Several places show the unit listed as fitting a KZ400D, and either list it specifically, or use the exact same product images:

Example:

z1parts.net/petcock-fuel-valve-kz400/
vs
z1parts.net/petcock-fuel-valve-cb750-cb550-cb500/

This ebay ad:

Also lists it as fitting specifically the KZ400D

GENUINE HONDA PARTS, PETCOCK ASSEMBLY FOR:
HONDA CB500 K0 K1 K2, 71-73, CB550K 74, CB750K K0 K1 K2 K3 K4 69-74

PLUS IT ALSO FITS SOME KAWASAKI MODELS, WILL WORK ON:
KAWASAKI KZ400 74, KZ400D 75, KZ400S 75, KZ400D3 76, KZ400D4 77, KZ400S2 76, KZ400S3 77, KZ400A1 77 AND KZ400A2 78

PLEASE ALLOW 5-7 BUSINESS DAYS FOR DELIVERY
RETURNS

IF WE MAKE A MISTAKE WE WILL FIX IT AND PAY FOR ALL SHIPPING COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH THE RETURN

So it seems like zero risk if they are saying they will take responsibility for the mistake. If I do go this route, I will report back if it works or not. I am tired of using a garden tractor inline petcock lol

The only downside is the fuel outlets point down vs straight out, but maybe there is a fix for that too. Anyway, just sharing, i'll keep you all posted.

1977 KZ400 D Petcock Compatibility or Source for wavy spring/washer 14 Oct 2018 23:38 #792318

• GetSlideways
  • User
Update:

After trying to buy the washer online several times, both sellers came up with an excuse as to why they couldnt ship it.

So i was going to just place the order at my local Honda powersports dealer, then I remembered "hey, why not fire up the 3d printer"

I figure the part will likely never get warm enough to be an issue, and if it does, oh well, it was worth a shot. So anyway here is what I whipped up:

I popped it off the print bed immediately and put a slight bend in it before it completely cooled. I had bought a NOS petcock gasket online. So I pressed in the4 hole gasket, the petcock lever, the new 3d printed washer, then the top cover plate... crossed my fingers and......

IT WORKED!!!

So far any way. I have only logged about 20 miles since installing it, but so far so good. I wish I had taken a pic of the actual printed part, but it was nothing special, just PLA material. I don't know how long it will last, but i'll report back. At first I was concerned about how PLA might hold up to fuel, but then I realized if that part is seeing fuel, then I have bigger issues lol

Anyway, just wanted to update that no more lawn tractor inline shut off valve for me!!! If I ever decide to paint my tank, i'll likely order up the entire honda petcock assembly and try it out. But till then, happy and safe riding!

1977 KZ400 D Petcock Compatibility or Source for wavy spring/washer 15 Oct 2018 02:18 #792320

• scubaanders
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 233
That is super cool and you are right the washer shall not be in contact with fuel, but please do a test an check how PLA reacts with fuel.
/ A
Gpz750R1 1982
Gpz750A1 1983
Gpz1100A2 1984
FZ750 1985
Gpz900R -91

1977 KZ400 D Petcock Compatibility or Source for wavy spring/washer 17 Oct 2018 08:49 #792432

• GetSlideways
  • User

scubaanders wrote: That is super cool and you are right the washer shall not be in contact with fuel, but please do a test an check how PLA reacts with fuel.
/ A

Thats a good idea! I have enough scrap PLA projects laying around i might dunk one in some fuel and let it sit to see what happens. I have read online from others that they have not had issues with fuel caps printed in PLA and ABS but might be fun and worth trying out for myself. Thank you for the kind words and support!

• Page: