Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ750 LTD Carburetor Sync/Balance 14 Sep 2018 12:48 #790868

• dpivas7
  • dpivas7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I am trying to sync my carbs and I did something and now my bike won't start anymore.

I had attached my carb sync tool and was adjusting the pilot screw in order to obtain stable gage readings. Apparently this isn't what you're supposed to do...

I was reading the manual and it says that you need to adjust the balance adjusting screw to actually balance the carbs when the bike is running. Since I can't get the bike to start anymore, I reset the pilot screws to be turned 2.5 turns from seated (per someone online) and then I bench synced the carbs so that the butterfly valves are all at the same starting point.

I am going to put the carbs back on the bike today and see if I can get it to start which I'm guessing it won't. What should I adjust to get the bike to start? I had the pilot screws turned out 7+ turns before, but I'm not sure exactly. Also, how do I adjust the balance adjusting screw (see picture). There's a screw and a locknut, so which should I turn for the purpose of syncing the carbs?
Current: '19 Harley Roadster, '72 XLCH, '84 GPz 550
Past: '84 GPz 550, '82 KZ750 LTD, '71 XLCH
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by dpivas7.

KZ750 LTD Carburetor Sync/Balance 14 Sep 2018 12:56 #790870

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2670
2.5 turns open on the pilot screws is good.

To sync the carbs you need to assure all the butterfly's are cracked open an equal amount. Start by equalizing carb 2 and 3 using the adjuster between those two. Loosen the lock nut and then adjust the screw to make the butterfly's the same. After that adjust 1 & 4 to match 2/3 using the same approach. Last step is make sure all the slides are open a little bit so the bike will start. To do that adjust the idle speed knob.

Good luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: dpivas7

Last edit: by Nessism.

KZ750 LTD Carburetor Sync/Balance 22 Sep 2018 17:02 #791261

• jimbrickland
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey dpivas7! I picked up a 1983 shaft drive 750LTD for my wife recently. Maybe you can help me with something. I am reassembling the carb rack and cannot for the life of me figure out how to mesh the choke linkage from 1, 2 to 3, 4 I have some pictures. If you would be able to post a picture of your assembled carb rack that would be most helpful. Thanks for your time, hope yours is running better than mine.
1976 KZ750B my one and only
1983 KZ440 LTD my one and only's one and only
Attachments:

KZ750 LTD Carburetor Sync/Balance 22 Sep 2018 18:54 #791265

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2670

• Page: