Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

CVK32's for my 550 07 Sep 2018 05:14 #790432

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
Thank you for adding the info. You have the Factory Pro 1.0 Kit, not the 3.0 correct?

The reason I added the pictures, is because I was originally using the CV32's that didn't have those holes, and had a hard time fine tuning. Once I swapped everything to the other set with the holes like yours has, it all smoothed out. Both sets were advertised from a ZX600C Model.

Stick with the Factory Pro Jets if you can, but they are the same as Mikuni, and you can use Keihin Jets as I have run both types. Here is cross-reference to jets.
www.jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_mikuni_vs_dynojet_vs_keihin_sizes.htm
Maybe wiredgeorge here can get jets???

Keep plugging away at it, and make notes as to your changes. I am no carb tuning genious, but have some experience, and I know what is working for me, but you'd have to remove your airbox and go with Pod Filters for what I have to work with you.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CVK32's for my 550 07 Sep 2018 10:17 #790448

• Daftrusty
  • User
  • Thank you received: 184
I only wanted to chime in as I started to question whether the zx600c cvk32's I am using on my 750 have the tiny hole in the butterfly, so I had to go out the garage and check. I had to lift up the needle slide and hold a light in my mouth and look down the throat, (so I couldn't get a photo) but my carbs do have the tiny hole in the butterfly. I knew they had the three blending ports as If they didn't, I would have been reluctant to use the carbs. I also went and looked at the damaged set of Zephyr cvk32's that I initially used, and they also have the tiny hole in the butterfly.

As for those blending ports, years ago, I stumbled on Tech Q&A on Factory Pro's website and it had some incredibly useful information on how those three blending ports work and how to better tune the idle circuit. It helped me solve a issue where I had my idle set to "high" and it had uncovered one of the unmetered ports so it made the idle mixture way too rich and I kept trying to lean it out with the mixture screw. Once I stumbled on this it instantly made sense.....

"As far as the pilot... Look at it this way...

There are 4 outlet holes for the pilot mixture. ~3-4 at the butterfly and one "downstream" of that (for 75% of the idle mixture).

1 hole is controlled by the mixture screw and with the other 3 or 4, max flow is limited by the size of the pilot jet.

At idle, 1 hole (metered by the fuel screw) and 1 un metered hole are open.

At cruise, when the "butterfly" is just "cracked", all 3-4 unmetered holes + the 1 metered one are uncovered -

So.....

At cruise, you get those 3 unmetered holes + the metered hole... So, at least 75% of the fuel delivered at cruise is limited by the size of the pilot jet.

At idle, you get 100% of the trimmed 1 hole + a butterfly valve-trimmed amount of the other 3-4 metered holes.

Rule of thumb....
If you go 1 size larger or smaller on the size of the pilot jet, you will change the fuel screw ~1.5x richer or leaner to retain the original idle mixture -

Example:
You have a #40 pilot jet installed (with the proper main, needle height and fuel level already done) and to get best idle, you are 4.0 turns out (from lightly bottomed out).
Cruise seems lean....

So, I'd expect that I could richen the cruise with 1 size larger (42) pilot jet (size of pj is 75% of cruise mixture) and the "trim" the fuel screw "in" for best mixture for best idle (size of pilot is 25% of idle mixture).

To go back to ~ the same idle mixture, after going from 40 pj/4.0x to the 42........ try 2.5x

40 pj / 4.0x = our reference idle mixture
42 pj / 2.5x = ~ same idle mixture
38 pj /5.5x = ~ same idle mixture (this is a "stretch - after 4.5x, not much changes)

(Using another "rule of thumb", if you have the correct pilot jet, the fuel screw will end up at between 1.5x and 3.0x when set for best idle.)

Marc"

Sorry for derailing your thread.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: CoreyClough, Wozza

CVK32's for my 550 12 Sep 2018 06:31 #790755

• Wozza
  • Wozza's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30
Thanks Marc, very useful information

CoreyClough wrote: . You have the Factory Pro 1.0 Kit, not the 3.0 correct? .

Yes its the Factory Pro 1.0 Kit for ZX600C with aftermarket exhaust, it only comes with one set of jets (110). They should be fine to break the engine in with.
HELLO NEIGHBORS
Once i get some A/F numbers i will know which way to go and order more jets. Speaking of jets i think i am going to go with dynojet. It looks like i can get 5 sets for the price of 2 sets If i use them. Its $10 each for Keihen type if i buy here in Australia.
Hopefully i will get the exhaust back from being ceramic coated this week and have some fun this weekend.
1982 KZ550H1

Last edit: by Wozza.

CVK32's for my 550 24 Sep 2018 04:42 #791340

• Wozza
  • User
IT LIVES ha ha ha ha
It started easy idle needed adjusting until it warmed up , I gave it a couple of blips and took off down the road,
Its definitely got a small flat spot down low . but once that cleared it took off. I didn't go past 7000 as the wide-band kept on cutting out from a bad power connection, but heres the first LM-2 data log synchronizing the Carburetors, i started turning down the idle at 25 seconds
Black line is RPM , IT didn't need much tweaking but i did spend a bit of time bench setting them.
After speaking with Marc at Factory Pro i will be sticking with their jets , the Australian DJ distributor doesn't sell jets

1982 KZ550H1
Attachments:

Last edit: by Wozza.

CVK32's for my 550 24 Sep 2018 07:21 #791350

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Nice!

CVK32's for my 550 24 Sep 2018 13:32 #791372

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
Looks good and the air/fuel is pretty flat.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

CVK32's for my 550 10 Oct 2018 02:23 #792108

• Wozza
  • User
So the AF idle chart looks alright? this is my first time rejetting its all a learning curve. Am i right and this will stay the same even with main jet and needle changes and will only need readjusting if i change the Pilots .

Also i have given up on the plan to use the factory airbox . You might have noticed the pods fitted in my project thread.
Removing and refitting had become a real chore so from now on i will be using DNA pods.
I also finally found a company over here who stocks factory pro jets and ordered a set of 135's going by Coreys set up.
well ive got a couple of weeks before i am home to do anything

1982 KZ550H1
Attachments:

• Page: