Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Severe Fuel Leak From Exhaust 21 Apr 2017 15:09 #759819

• VTEC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80

EdwardDaggerhands wrote: Okay, so here's where I'm at with all of the information provided (thanks to all of y'all, by the way!):

I will run the preliminary tests suggested by Martin and VTEC, then proceed with the steps David laid out (actual disassembly, cleaning, and replacement of tank, petcock, tank filter, carburetor, etc. components).

Does this sound like a reasonable approach to everyone? I appreciate all of the help! Getting these rookie hands dirty should be interesting!

I wouldn't replace the tank without confirming there's a problem. Look inside with a flashlight. See any debris or rust spots on the bottom and in the corners?

If it looks good, and you confirmed fuel isn't being sucked in through the petcock vacuum line, fix the carb and replace the inline filter. All it takes is a small spec of something in the needle and seat to cause the problem, but replace both to be sure. I've seen fuel-logged floats that lose their buoyancy before, but pretty rare.
KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by VTEC.

Severe Fuel Leak From Exhaust 21 Apr 2017 18:29 #759857

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
  • Thank you received: 55

Certain it's fuel. It wreaks of gasoline. So just be sure EVERYTHING is drained prior to starting work - is that what you're saying?

I would pull the tank without draining and drain it later if need be. If you are going to pull the carbs off, then drain them. I probably would not worry about the mufflers. At some point before attempting to start I would pull the spark plugs and make sure there isn't gas in a cylinder. Might want to change the oil prior to start up because if any gas made to the crank case the oil will be diluted.

Do you by chance have over flow tubes in the Carb bowls? If so maybe a drain line it putting gas where it appears it coming from a muffler. Same issue if so. float needle and seat leaking. If it does it with the gas turned off then the float needle seat and petcock are both leaking. I've fought that battle too. Tim

VTEC has it pretty much hitting the nail.
Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

Last edit: by Z1Driver.

Severe Fuel Leak From Exhaust 24 Apr 2017 05:48 #760106

• jdvorchak
  • User
  • Thank you received: 50
couple of things. it didn't sound like it was running on both cylinders. Which is to be expected if one of the carbs was dumping raw fuel into that cylinder. But I also noticed that your carbs still have the overflow hoses attached and they exit under the bike close to that muffler. Are you sure the leak is actually coming from that muffler and not the overflow hose? I just can't imagine that kind of a leak going all the way through the cylinder past the valves and exiting the water drain hole in the muffler.

I'd bet if you were to pull both of the overflow hoses of the bottom of the carbs you'll see where the fuel is really coming from.
Don't fix it until it's broken.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited, 2008 Harley low rider 71 CB350/sidecar

Severe Fuel Leak From Exhaust 24 Apr 2017 11:48 #760145

• EdwardDaggerhands
  • EdwardDaggerhands's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

jdvorchak wrote: couple of things. it didn't sound like it was running on both cylinders. Which is to be expected if one of the carbs was dumping raw fuel into that cylinder. But I also noticed that your carbs still have the overflow hoses attached and they exit under the bike close to that muffler. Are you sure the leak is actually coming from that muffler and not the overflow hose? I just can't imagine that kind of a leak going all the way through the cylinder past the valves and exiting the water drain hole in the muffler.

I'd bet if you were to pull both of the overflow hoses of the bottom of the carbs you'll see where the fuel is really coming from.

98% sure it's coming directly from the exhaust. Placed a mirror under the bike when I first discovered the leak and it appears to be spewing directly from the drain hole. The video I posted might be a little misleading... the leak is actually on the left side (video is taken from the right). Both carb overflow hoses run to the right side of the bike, which is completely dry and leak-free.

Severe Fuel Leak From Exhaust 24 Apr 2017 16:34 #760161

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
  • Thank you received: 55
Pull the plug and see if you actually have that much fuel in the cylinder. I would say after review of your vid that much fuel coming from the exhaust valve would keep your motor from turning over let alone run.
Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

Severe Fuel Leak From Exhaust 24 Apr 2017 22:03 #760188

• EdwardDaggerhands
  • EdwardDaggerhands's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Pulled the plug. It was definitely being exposed to fuel (wet to the touch, smelled of gas), but not seeing any gasoline pooled up in the cylinder. Fired the bike up to confirm it was coming from the exhaust... it was. Here's the catch:

Turned off choke (had it on prior) and boom, no more fuel spewing. There is obviously still an issue (as raw fuel was clearly passing through the exhaust system), but it appears to be nonexistent when the choke is off. Took the bike for a spin around the block, got up to 40 miles/hour, and it ran perfectly well. Does this change things? I am still planning on cleaning fuel tap and carbs because this will have to be done at some point or another regardless, but could there be an issue with the choke itself?

Severe Fuel Leak From Exhaust 25 Apr 2017 06:06 #760202

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2068
Itndoesnt really change anything. The fuel system needs to be properly gone through.
I really hope you changed the oil and filter before running the engine. Oil that is contaminated with gasoline will not provide proper lubrication for the internal parts.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Severe Fuel Leak From Exhaust 25 Apr 2017 18:37 #760255

• jdvorchak
  • User
I still don't know how the fuel is getting into the exhaust pipe especially in that quantity. I hope you find the problem and let us know what you did.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:

Severe Fuel Leak From Exhaust 25 Apr 2017 18:38 #760257

• jdvorchak
  • User
have you run a compression check on that engine? The only thing I can think of is your valves aren't closing and sealing anything to allow that much fuel past.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:

• Page: