Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Overly Rich Mixture - idle to 1/4 throttle 12 Apr 2016 20:26 #720658

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2622
On the VM carbs there is a bushing that holds the shaft and forks the move it up and down.
Steve

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Overly Rich Mixture - idle to 1/4 throttle 12 Apr 2016 20:38 #720661

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Editing Memo -- Part numbers and nomenclature have since been added to the previously posted diagram.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

Overly Rich Mixture - idle to 1/4 throttle 12 Apr 2016 20:44 #720662

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184

Right.... All three of my 26mm carb sets have that plastic clip the pushes and pulls the enrichment valve up and down.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Attachments:

Last edit: by missionkz.

Overly Rich Mixture - idle to 1/4 throttle 18 Apr 2016 17:37 #721648

• weales
  • weales's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 31
Well, did some more on the carb problem last weekend - thoroughly investigated my theory that maybe the choke plungers were not coming down fully with the choke "off." Took each carb in turn and blew through a tube into the choke air inlet port while lifting then releasing the plunger by hand. In each case there was a positive opening and closing action and each plunger was definitely fully home when released. Also, in the fully closed position of the choke, each plunger was in the same position as when manually pushed down, without the choke lever connected. So that kind of rules that possibility out.
I spoke to a local Kawasaki mechanic about the problem - he said "That'll be your slides in back to front which is causing the fuel to be sucked directly in through the main jets, bypassing the pilot system." It sounded feasible, but I was pretty sure I'd got the slides in the right way round with the groove in the slides correctly engaged in the slide chamber locating pins. I checked anyway and was "disappointed" to see that this quickfix was not the answer!

IThought that I'd revisit the float levels as I had just about exhausted my patience (and options for a solution.) Looks like I have set them way too high! I should have been using the bottom part of the carb body where it meets the float bowl as reference point, Due to inexperience (and little attention to detail) I had been using the edge of the carb about 4mm above it, which meant that it was always going to be too high!
As most will be aware, a very small adjustment of the tang on the float results in quite a large change in fuel level. In this case it turned out that a change of only 0.3mm on each tang brought the fuel level down to the specification (using the clear tube test.) I'm yet to refit the carbs but will post results when I get a chance to retest the setup. Hope that this is what has been the problem all the time .
(Note to self - pay more attention to symptoms and follow procedures!)
Current Project
1968 Norton P11A Desert Sled
Other bike (and daily ride)
2004 Yamaha FZR 600
Previous Bikes
78 Z1-R (resto)
91 Zephyr 750
73 Mach IV (Resto)
78 Z1-R
78 Z1-R (stolen)
76 Z900
76 Z650
73 Mach IV
72 Mach III

Overly Rich Mixture - idle to 1/4 throttle 18 Apr 2016 18:59 #721670

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
I'm following the thread! Improper fuel level in the fuel bowl and misadjusted valve/shim gap is FREQUENTLY the reason, over the years, I've bought quite a few junky and non- rideable motorcycles. Only to fix them that weekend, sell them and make hundreds and hundreds of free dollars in order to buy new ones!!
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Overly Rich Mixture - idle to 1/4 throttle 05 Sep 2016 05:22 #741145

• weales
  • User
G'day all,
Sorry I haven't been on for a while - the 'pewter has a few problems and I'm working with a borrowed unit!

After finally admitting that I needed help, I took the bike to the mechanic who found 3 faults -

1. Bad earth connection from Engine to battery -ve (my fault!) - weak spark
2. 1 dead condenser in the brand new points ass'y - intermittent/bad spark on 2 cylinders
3. Needles wrong for these carbs (were as supplied in carb o'haul kits - didn't inspect closely for correct numbers (My fault!)
this was allowing fuel to be drawn up thru the mains at low openings when it should have been only pilot jets operating.
This was the main reason for the overly rich mixture.

Just a couple more jobs to finish off now - repair cyl No1 choke tube (again!) - got broken during the many on/offs!
May have a charging issue - have to wait until carbs are back on and check charging voltage/current
Current Project
2004 Yamaha FZR 600
Previous Bikes
78 Z1-R (resto)
91 Zephyr 750
73 Mach IV (Resto)
78 Z1-R
78 Z1-R (stolen)
76 Z900
76 Z650
73 Mach IV
72 Mach III

Overly Rich Mixture - idle to 1/4 throttle 03 Nov 2018 18:07 #793337

• weales
  • User
I know it's only been 2 years since I posted on this topic - but in case someone is still wondering if the problem/s have been solved the answer is yes!!! I refitted the original needles and checked out the electrics/ charging (all ok). The bike is now with its new owner and has been running fine - although with a slight fuel weep from the float bowl where I repaired the choke tube for the second time!! (failed to heed my own advice and made the replacement tube a tiny bit too long which stops the float bowl to carb body from sealing 100%.) Probably won't be contributing much to this forum from now as I don't have the bike anymore - all the best to Kwaka fans the world over!.
Current Project
2004 Yamaha FZR 600
Previous Bikes
78 Z1-R (resto)
91 Zephyr 750
73 Mach IV (Resto)
78 Z1-R
78 Z1-R (stolen)
76 Z900
76 Z650
73 Mach IV
72 Mach III