Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

External Carb Fuel bowl level measuring device. 23 Apr 2009 13:35 #284429

• Oldwolf
  • Oldwolf's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Any body got a Picture of the device or how to make one for 29mm Smooth bores or Mikuni Flats. Both have the large drain or main jet access plug.
Thanks.
1977 KZ1000A1, 1105cc,Mikuni RS34mm FS, K&N Pods,Kerker 4/1,Dyna S Ign,Coils & Plug Wires,Progressive Sup. Front&Rear, Derale Oil Cooler.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

External Carb Fuel bowl level measuring device. 23 Apr 2009 14:27 #284471

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
I use a cone-shaped rubber grommet pushed in the drain hole, with the "standard" small clear tube snugly inside the grommet hole.

Some more professional folks fashion an adapter unit by drilling a spare float-bowl drain nut and fitting a small metal or plastic tube or connector inside as a nipple to attach the clear plastic tube. Or just fitting the clear tube snugly inside the drilled hole (instead of using a nipple).

With whatever method, a slight fuel seepage does not affect the level shown inside the clear tube.

Btw, if needed, the 17mm float bowl nut is available at Z1E. Click here > 17mm floatbowl nut

Good Luck! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

External Carb Fuel bowl level measuring device. 24 Apr 2009 16:03 #284870

• Oldwolf
  • Oldwolf's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks Patton. I'll look around the Hardware Store for a Grommet if not then I'll get a Drain plug from Z1.
Thanks again.
1977 KZ1000A1, 1105cc,Mikuni RS34mm FS, K&N Pods,Kerker 4/1,Dyna S Ign,Coils & Plug Wires,Progressive Sup. Front&Rear, Derale Oil Cooler.

External Carb Fuel bowl level measuring device. 24 Apr 2009 22:23 #284979

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
Patton wrote:

I use a cone-shaped rubber grommet pushed in the drain hole, with the "standard" small clear tube snugly inside the grommet hole.

That's theweapon of choice. I actually found some very thin blue rubber fuel line that fits snugly into the drain plug hole and also snug fits just into the inside of some clear plastic tubing. I hooked them together and made a gauge that doesn't even leak.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

External Carb Fuel bowl level measuring device. 25 Apr 2009 05:36 #285123

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
Someone here on the old KZR mentioned some sort of plastic fitting from the auto parts store, maybe a vacuum fitting? They just kinda screwed it into the orifice, recutting the threads. If you did find something, you could use a die to cut the threads. There might be a watering system fitting from the hardware store that could be used in the same manner - not sure how something like that would hold up to the fuel.

External Carb Fuel bowl level measuring device. 29 May 2009 11:06 #294837

• smellydog
  • User
Was advised to do the "clear tube test" but can't locate the thread about how to do this. Basically, I want to know how to use a clear tube to check the float height on a twin. Any carb tuning advice would be appreciated.

This is a learning step for me, as I will probably mess my carbs up before I send them to wg to rebuild. I just want to know how to tweak them, for future maintenance, without messing them up.

External Carb Fuel bowl level measuring device. 29 May 2009 12:07 #294840

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
smellydog wrote:

Was advised to do the "clear tube test" but can't locate the thread about how to do this. Basically, I want to know how to use a clear tube to check the float height on a twin. Any carb tuning advice would be appreciated.

This is a learning step for me, as I will probably mess my carbs up before I send them to wg to rebuild. I just want to know how to tweak them, for future maintenance, without messing them up.

This will be rather generic without knowing for sure which twin, make, model and year, and particular carb fitted. Am guessing KZ750 twin, but don't know if they used the same carb in all years. :unsure:

To determine fuel level inside the float bowl.

Carbs level as possible, such as bike on centerstand, propped up or held level.

Turn petcock off and drain the bowl.

Connect a clear tube to the drain on the bowl (not the overflow nipple). My recollection is hazy in thinking some carbs (?CV?)may share a nipple for drain and overflow, which nipple I'm guessing could be used. But don't use the overflow nipple when there's a separate drain screw.

With correct size o.d., the plastic tube may be "threaded" into the drain screw hole. Or a plastic connector may be "threaded" into the hole, to which the tube is attached.

Run the tube up vertically beside the bowl. Hold it real still and steady.

Turn petcock on to allow fuel flow into bowl.

Fuel level in tube should match level inside bowl, which on manual slide Mikunis is typically supposed to be 2-4 mm below bottom of carb body (same as 2-4 mm below bowl gasket), but I don't know the specs on CV or other type carbs.

The test won't mess up anything inside the carb. The "messing up" part comes later when attempting to adjust the level by bending the float tang. :pinch:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

External Carb Fuel bowl level measuring device. 29 May 2009 12:28 #294843

• mtkawboy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I used a hardware store plastic nipple that was threaded but close to the carb size and just screwed it in and it doesnt leak. I put some clear tubing on it and wire it close to the bowl so I can see where the fuel level is. You are correct the PIA is setting the levels each time. On the Z1 & 29m carns I drill & tap a spare bung fitting for a nipple and just move it around
78-KZ1000/1105, 80 KZ1000, 82 Kawasaki GPZ750, 95 Harley Fatboy, 80 Suzuki GS1100ET, 81 GS1100E parts bike, 83 GS1100SD Katana/1394,78 Yamaha XT500, 81 Yamaha XS650, 78 Yamaha XS650E, 48 Whizzer model J motorbike, 71 Honda CT70H, 71 Honda CT70, 81 IT 250 Yamaha,82 Honda XL100S owned

External Carb Fuel bowl level measuring device. 29 May 2009 14:20 #294856

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
Here's the "official" tool.

Click here -> Float Level Checker Tool

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

External Carb Fuel bowl level measuring device. 29 May 2009 14:21 #294857

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

External Carb Fuel bowl level measuring device. 29 May 2009 15:10 #294862

• bill_wilcox100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
If your carbs use the same drain screw as mine, then you can use this tool for testing the Fuel Service Level:

I used home made ones before getting this tool from Z1 and the results were pretty good... but you never have too many tools.

Best of success. :)
Bill

Oppsss... just noticed that this was covered above. :blush: Well, great minds think alike I guess.
Bill
1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Attachments:

Last edit: by bill_wilcox100.

External Carb Fuel bowl level measuring device. 29 May 2009 16:40 #294874

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
From ole cheapskate Ed's homemade tool dept (I soldered an old carb drain screw to a fitting from Homey Depot, attached a barbed fitting to it, and drilled the hole through the screw using the barb as the guide. I prettied it up with a file & sandpaper by spinning in my drill press (cheap Ed's lathe), and Viola. I've used it and it works well.

I goofed - See next posting for image.
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Last edit: by 650ed.
  • Page: