Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Cleaning the inside of Fuel Tank 26 Feb 2006 15:17 #26616

• tkaser
  • tkaser's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have read some of the different posts on cleaning with the battery charger/salt water process and I have seen some on a solution of berrymans, also taking the tank to a radiator shop and having it dipped.....So my question is what is the best solution? My tank has had the paint removed and now I am ready to take care of the surface rust on the inside.

Thanks in advance.
tkaser

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cleaning the inside of Fuel Tank 26 Feb 2006 15:27 #26620

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
If you don't mind the mess, smell and time it takes to do it yourself, it can be a good "learning" experience.
Just make sure to follow the directions of whatever brand product you use completely.
And also make sure you have adequate ventilation. Some of the products can turn a simple chemical buzz into a nightmare! :ohmy:

Since you already have the paint removed, it would be easier to just have a radiator shop do it.
No mess, and it only takes a few of days (depending on how busy the shop you use is) to complete.
I had my tank cleaned out and lined for only $45, and had it back in 2 days.
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Cleaning the inside of Fuel Tank 26 Feb 2006 18:40 #26660

• ejshotgun
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Check out this thread from the archives...
Clean tank
This was the first one that came up I know I've looked at others.
But like Retro said since it's already stripped and if you got the money I'd have it done professionally.

Good Luck!

Cleaning the inside of Fuel Tank 27 Feb 2006 05:38 #26734

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
Hey tkaser,
Have you read my article on rusty tanks? If not check out the articles section.

KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

Cleaning the inside of Fuel Tank 27 Feb 2006 08:07 #26762

• tkaser
  • User
Well I really appreciate the feedback thus far. I got up this morning and called a few radiator shops in the area (St.Pete Florida) Tommy's was the only one I could find that still boiled and coated, so I went down and dropped off my tank. They tell me they will boil it and then use red kote to protect the inside. I was quoted around 70 bucks. I figure for the money and time it will be worth it.

tkaser

Cleaning the inside of Fuel Tank 27 Feb 2006 08:41 #26765

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
That seems like a lot of money to me, but then I'm always looking for the cheaper way out. I don't have as much coin as the next rider. :(
Did this tank leak at all? If it did I guess $70 is ok to get it coated, but even that is something you can do cheaper. I would have flushed it myself for 2.98 before dropping $70 tho...
Heres my article in the filebase about how I cleaned my tank

kzrider.com/component/option,com_docman/...ls/gid,248/Itemid,5/
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Cleaning the inside of Fuel Tank 27 Feb 2006 09:46 #26780

• tkaser
  • User
Yes I certainly agree 70 bucks is quite a bit of coin, but this isn't something I really wanted to attempt on my own. I know I could have done it however there are something's I would rather a professional do. LOL As I have stated before, there are a lot of great ideas and many people have there own methods, but at this point I felt it would be wise to go this route.

Thanks again to all who have inputted.

tkaser

Cleaning the inside of Fuel Tank 27 Feb 2006 11:00 #26786

• bemoore
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
How are you all disposing of the remaining chemicals? My problem with most of these procedures is that they leave behind a quantity of chemicals I'm stuck with and can't get rid of.
77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

Cleaning the inside of Fuel Tank 27 Feb 2006 11:47 #26804

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
If the tank is mildly rusted on the inside, use a solution of phosphoric acid. This acid is what professional painters use to prep metal for painting. It not only will remove the rust but kill it but you have to fill the tank with gas quickly after flushing to avoid more surface rust. The Berrymans is a waste of time. This stuff won't touch rust. I have personally tried finding a radiator shop that "dips" tanks to kill rust and can't find one. They all cut them first or at least they cut radiators.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Cleaning the inside of Fuel Tank 27 Feb 2006 11:48 #26805

• OKC_Kent
  • User
Phosphoric acid (Tile & Grout cleaner) is very mild & can be diluted with water. I can't see where flushing it down a drain with plenty of water would hurt anything. Berrymans isn't intended to be a rust remover, it's a carb cleaner. If you use Electrolysis then that mixture is not hazardous and can be dumped on your lawn.

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2006/02/27 14:54
Oklahoma City, OK

Cleaning the inside of Fuel Tank 27 Feb 2006 12:15 #26815

• bemoore
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
OKC_Kent wrote:

Phosphoric acid (Tile & Grout cleaner) is very mild & can be diluted with water. I can't see where flushing it down a drain with plenty of water would hurt anything. Berrymans isn't intended to be a rust remover, it's a carb cleaner. If you use Electrolysis then that mixture is not hazardous and can be dumped on your lawn.<br><br>Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2006/02/27 14:54

OK. The tile & grout cleaner can obviously be flushed down the drain (I should have realized that one), but what about old gas, kerosene, acetone, and new gas (used to flush out kerosene and/or acetone). I realize that regardless of the method, I'll have to find something to do with the old gas.
77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

Cleaning the inside of Fuel Tank 27 Feb 2006 12:42 #26824

• OKC_Kent
  • User
I have mixed small quantities of old gas with fresh new gas and put that in my lawnmower.

I don't know what I would do with acetone, probably check the MSDS sheets on that one.

Kerosene, I'd find a way to burn it off:whistle:
Oklahoma City, OK