• Page:

TOPIC:

Shine like a silver dollar George 07 Feb 2007 19:28 #110902

• JimatMilkyWay
  • JimatMilkyWay's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Let's try this again.
I just composed the first twenty two pages of this post before that Damned Sea Monkey suite threw it in the trash for me and I had to start over again.
Bitch!

George; you seem to be the undisputed heavy weight champion in the area of carb issues. Well I would like for you, or anyone else interested in giving me a discussion with some meat in it, to shine like a hundred watt bulb and answer a question for me.
Whilst I was down adding one last feature to my test set-up tonight, I got started thinking 'bout sumpin.
How important is the suspension set-up of your bike to carb performance?
Let's pretend, hypothetically, that we had a case, involving one of those geeky, perfectionist types that we all know are out there; you know, those who would rather work an issue into the ground, time and time again instead of just hopping on and going for a ride!! Now, let's just say that we are trying to adjust our service float level. Well, what if we spend a little extra time to put our "78 KZ-1000 on the center stand and put shims under the back tire, such that when we set weights on the luggage rack, the bike would settle down onto the shim, in such a way that the carb bowls end up sitting _dead level_. Now suppose this is the bike position we use to set up the float service level on all of our carbs.
Now,,, when we get ready to ride again, _IF_ we ever do in fact get ready to ride again, What difference will it make that the carbs are not dead level when the bike sits on the road in it's "let's ride" configuration? (Has anybody _EVER_ axed such a question in all your natural born years?)
Is there a way to level the carb rack to the bike's suspension, or is it more customary to adjust the front forks somehow, till the bike sits on the road with level carb bowls, or is it usually not even an issue worthy of consideration?
Is it sufficient/recommended to just set the float level a little low, or high, knowing that the carb bowls will sit a little lower in the front than in the back? Or,,, is my bike just set-up wrong, suspension-wise in the first place? B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Shine like a silver dollar George 07 Feb 2007 21:57 #110911

• wireman
  • Visitor
depends on what position the bike spends most of its time.;) on our dragboats the motors actually lean forward when the boat is sitting but when they are in the kill mode planing out on the water the motors are pretty close to level,yeah theres some over engineering involved there too!:evil: :P

Shine like a silver dollar George 08 Feb 2007 06:24 #110943

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
Thanks for the reply wireman.
I like to have things as close to perfect as possible before putting her back on the streets. I am afraid that I have already built up some unnecessary carbon deposits in the cumbustion chamber and ring grooves by running rich. Don't want that to continue, now do we?

Shine like a silver dollar George 08 Feb 2007 06:57 #110948

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
"OOOOH! OOOOH! OOOOH! MISTA KOTTA! MISTA KOTTA! PICK ME! PICK ME!"
"Yes, Arnold?"
"FUEL INJECTION!!!!!"
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

---- 08 Feb 2007 08:19 #110972

• H1Vindicator
  • User
  • Thank you received: 45
----

Last edit: by H1Vindicator.

Shine like a silver dollar George 08 Feb 2007 15:48 #111052

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
pstrbrc wrote:

"OOOOH! OOOOH! OOOOH! MISTA KOTTA! MISTA KOTTA! PICK ME! PICK ME!"
"Yes, Arnold?"
"FUEL INJECTION!!!!!"
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

man, this statement brings back memories!!!:cheer: :laugh:

Shine like a silver dollar George 09 Feb 2007 09:24 #111170

• Z1109R Fin
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
What if the float bowls are in about 25 degree angle leaning backwards? Mine are and it still runs like a rapid wolf....flatslides...

Do you think that every bike model has a unique carb-set to level the bowl exactly? So Mikuni has about 25032 different carb bodies?:whistle:

Post edited by: Z1109R Fin, at: 2007/02/09 12:25
Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

Shine like a silver dollar George 09 Feb 2007 09:28 #111171

• Z1109R Fin
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
JimatMilkyWay wrote:

Thanks for the reply wireman.
I like to have things as close to perfect as possible before putting her back on the streets. I am afraid that I have already built up some unnecessary carbon deposits in the cumbustion chamber and ring grooves by running rich. Don't want that to continue, now do we?

Carbon deposits:blink: Run it about 10 minutes around 9500 revs / 200 kmh and there shouldn´t be any left:lol:
Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

Shine like a silver dollar George 09 Feb 2007 14:34 #111210

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
Z1109R Fin wrote:

....Do you think that every bike model has a unique carb-set to level the bowl exactly? So Mikuni has about 25032 different carb bodies?:whistle:<br><br>Post edited by: Z1109R Fin, at: 2007/02/09 12:25

Naaa,
I didn't think so, but I also admit that I have no idea how much out-of-level is too much.
However, something is causing mine to foul 'em out right away quick. If someone told me that a bike in the condition mine seems to be in, and that runs and pulls as perfectly as mine does, for ten minutes anyway, would foul the plugs out in very short order, I would not believe it.
I hope to get a little time between jobs this weekend to have a little go with it.
Will get the obvious, simple things in order so they can not adversely contribute to performance, then we will address jetting.
Does that scare you or what?

Shine like a silver dollar George 12 Feb 2007 03:00 #111753

• jimmybon
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I've had a go at setting up float levels in carbs, aka factory settings, with the carbs slung under a shelf in the garage fairly level, and thought "that il do"
mainly because I thought it was to get the bowl fuel volume equal, maybe some thing to do with the pressure under weight of the fuel in the bowl
I thought this because bikes engines still perform when cornering, and leaning over
not to mention other wicked craft:evil: :unsure:
74 Z1A900 original
74 Z1A900 stone replica
74Z1A900 barn find
77 Z650B1 Hybrid
81 z650 PIG camp bike
06 ZRX1200R cafe racer project
S1000xr

Shine like a silver dollar George 12 Feb 2007 18:43 #111964

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
jimmybon wrote:

I've had a go at setting up float levels in carbs:evil: :unsure:....

Thanks for the reply jimmybon, and welcome to the site. Over the weekend, I did in fact set(?) the float levels on all four carbs. Now I would like youse guys input on something.
From everyone with lots of carb experience, does the tang on the float usually need to be bent, at all, for the proper service level? What I mean by "bent" is changed from the brand new, out of the bag position, which is dead "straight".
Boy, a picture really is worth a thousand words, ain't it?
All four of my carbs seemed to have float levels too high when I checked.
I bent the tangs toward the needle and was surprised how much movement/bend was required to get the level to where I thought it should be.
I will not reinstall the carbs to check engine function till I go through everything else I can, while they are still on the bench. To that end, I will certainly have more questions.

Shine like a silver dollar George 13 Feb 2007 00:08 #112005

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
If the question is: will the flost level change when the carb is at a different angle?

Well, what is the level referenced too?

Where do you define the fuel level?

Usually, the carb/bowl gasket is a reference point for the fuel level, but if the carb is at an angle, that reference is no longer available.

So what, then, would you use as a fuel level reference if the carb is at an angle?
Would we use the volume of fuel in the bowl?: The volume in the bowl is really not important. The purpose of having a consistent level of fuel is to have a constistent hydrostatic fuel pressure on the jet openings. Volume does not affect pressure. Depth of the jet below the fuel surface determines the pressure.

Would we then use the fuel level relative to the main-jet opening? Do we really want that to be the same for different carb angles? Not necessarily. At higher angles from horizontal, fuel will have less gravity to fight in order to travel up the emulsifier tube so the pressure on the jet aperature need not be as great.

It is possible to create a bowl shape such that the jet is always the same depth in the fuel, but I'm not sure that is what would be desired. It seems you would want the jet aperature to be shallower as the carb angle increases.

I haven't really studied this that much, and this is all a bunch of speculation on my part, but just thought I'd throw out some possibilities.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/02/13 03:14

• Page: