Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

BS34's on a KZ1100 Jetting 22 Jan 2007 08:03 #107430

• stone_cold
  • stone_cold's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm sorry for asking what seems like a question that has been answered dozens of times. I've done a search and found several topics about BS34 jetting but none that help me ---- so here goes.

I have a 1983 KZ1100 LTD with stock BS34 carbs and a Mac 4 into 1 exhaust. The stock air box and rubber boots are shot. I intend to add pod's and rebuild the carbs.

I tore down the carbs last night and started them soaking in cleaner. The needle is a single slot version. I could not find a number on the needle jet but they have the small holes in the lower shaft section. The main jet is a 117.5. I looked up my bike by serial number on kawasaki.com and printed out the parts diagram and numbers and they seem to match pretty well with what I have.

So here's my questions;

1. Where can I find carb kits and jets. I looked on Z1 and a couple of ohter sites and can't seem to find them.

2. I've been told that i will need to go up two sizes on the main jets when I add the pods but will I need to change anything else (pilot jet or needle)?

I was planning on going up to 120's on the main jet because of the pods and the header but I'm open to what you guys have to say.

I've not ridden this bike since I've bought it as a project a few weeks ago. I will use it to ride to work which is 18 miles of mostly 4 lane highway. Do plan on riding it on a couple of 100 mile trips this spring but that is not my normal riding style. I want this to be a good, solid, bike for day to day use.

I'd love to hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks,
Tony T

Post edited by: stone_cold, at: 2007/01/22 13:58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

BS34's on a KZ1100 Jetting 22 Jan 2007 11:00 #107448

• rtg
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Stone Cold: I have an"83 KZ 1100 set up very similar to yours with 4 into I,pods etc. I have found that mine works very well with 125 main jets,stock pilots and one washer under the single position needle clip.
found washers at LOWES infastener section ..
Hillman #4 flat stainless washers , part number H#882044

BS34's on a KZ1100 Jetting 22 Jan 2007 11:04 #107451

• rtg
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
stone cold...forgot to mention...Suzukis (Earlier) use the same carbs ..If near a Suzy dealer give them a try for Jets. ask'em to check the PartsUnlimited book.also, Wired George ,a frequent visitor on this website is a good source of info and stuff you need if Z1 doesn't have it.

BS34's on a KZ1100 Jetting 22 Jan 2007 20:30 #107569

• stone_cold
  • User
rtg wrote:

Stone Cold: I have an"83 KZ 1100 set up very similar to yours with 4 into I,pods etc. I have found that mine works very well with 125 main jets,stock pilots and one washer under the single position needle clip.
found washers at LOWES infastener section ..
Hillman #4 flat stainless washers , part number H#882044

Well RTG, It sure looks to me like you've done it and I'm going to follow your lead since it works for you. The only question I have is about how you arrived at the 125 number, it seems a bit big to me.

I read over on www.motorcyclecarbs.com/Jetting_Rules_of_Thumb_W43C551.cfm about the "general" jet sizes for different modifications. Any way I add it I come up with only a 4 step increase in jet size. So, if I start with a 117.5 stock jet I would end up with a 121.5 or subtracting 1 as the article says I end up with 120.5. So as you can see I'm a bit confused.

I tend to lean toward what you say because you've done it to a bike with almost the same equipment and you say it works well ---- I respect that. The method in the article is more of a general starting point.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Tony T

BS34's on a KZ1100 Jetting 22 Jan 2007 20:35 #107571

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
  • Thank you received: 11
www.z1enterprises.com/catalog.aspx?pid=KPCF2

i got mine from place above dude.

my jet sizes are below may help.

BS34's on a KZ1100 Jetting 22 Jan 2007 20:44 #107572

• stone_cold
  • User
stone_cold wrote:

I read over on www.motorcyclecarbs.com/Jetting_Rules_of_Thumb_W43C551.cfm about the "general" jet sizes for different modifications. Any way I add it I come up with only a 4 step increase in jet size. So, if I start with a 117.5 stock jet I would end up with a 121.5 or subtracting 1 as the article says I end up with 120.5. So as you can see I'm a bit confused.

O.K! I re-read the jetting article and now know that I really am an idiot :blush:

As I understand it now, the jets jump in increments of 2.5 so 3 steps up would be 125
duh!!!!!

I guess I worked on cars to long where we just drilled the jets out with the next size bit :whistle: I'm old but I can be taught.

Thanks,
Tony T

BS34's on a KZ1100 Jetting 25 Jan 2007 11:01 #108089

• stone_cold
  • User
I should have my parts early next week so I will see how well the bike runs with the bigger jets.

I ordered all my parts from Z1 and I gotta say that they bend over backwards to help you get the correct parts. Good customer service is VERY hard to find these days and they are awesome. Thanks for suggesting I try them.

BTW! I have taken very detailed pictures of the tear down and cleaning of the carbs and I am going to take pictures as I put them back together and get them installed and adjusted on the bike. If any one is interested I'll post the pictures and a little write-up kinda like a BS34 tutorial. I'm no expert but I do follow instructions well and i take good pictures.

Later,
Tony T

• Page: