Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Adding Exhaust Baffles 16 Nov 2006 18:37 #92667

• NickD
  • NickD's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Right now I've got a 4 to 1 straight pipe with a baffle-less megaphone on it on my 550 (as seen below).

This thing is loud. I mean just plain rowdy. I put a completely different muffler on it for a while (stock can off a '99 CBR), but it would never run right - it was way down on power. I'm back to the open exhaust. It's fun but on the side of obnoxious, and outside of those moments when I just have to be a bit of an a-hole I've realized I really need to do something about it. Especially now that I've moved into a subdivision (I didn't worry as much when we were in the apartment) and I have semi-permanent neighbors.

So where do I start? I've measured the header dump at 2.5" O.D. The "muffler" section is probably 4" or so. The only baffles I've really found are 1-1/2" or 1-3/4". Do I need a bigger baffle, one of these, or a new muffler altogether?

As another part, can I add a baffle and still keep it breathing like it's wide open? I just got things jetted and dialed in and I'd rather not dive back into it yet unless I have to, but I'll do what I gotta do.

Thanks guys!

And while I'm posting anyway, I figured I'd show what my new garage is like:

There's not much room, but it's mine :laugh: . And luckily I have a good lead on a shed to put out back and actually work in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Adding Exhaust Baffles 16 Nov 2006 19:21 #92686

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
Bassanni, Kerker, Suppertrapp, Vance & Hines, Mac, just to name a few. Look into what the manufacturer is, and start there for another "can". Ebay has complete systems but can be pricy. Sometimes there ate not too desireable systems that show up, and these might have salvageable parts where you can use the end. Looks like a Mac System there. I'm currently using a Supertrapp(they bought out Kerker years ago), and these are no longer being made.

The "can" can(play on words?) be purchased without the mounting tabs from www.Supertrapp.com I've done homework on this system, and I'm currently running the baffle, packing, but not the end cap. Sounds great, and is no where as loud as straight thru.

Also some systems will not allow you to change the oil and/or filter without removing the complete system.

A little 411. I see you running pod filters along with that header. You do know you need to rejet when running pod filters and a header system, right?

Post edited by: CoreyClough, at: 2006/11/16 22:22
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

Adding Exhaust Baffles 18 Nov 2006 20:57 #93051

• NickD
  • User
CoreyClough wrote:

Bassanni, Kerker, Suppertrapp, Vance & Hines, Mac, just to name a few. Look into what the manufacturer is, and start there for another "can". Ebay has complete systems but can be pricy. Sometimes there ate not too desireable systems that show up, and these might have salvageable parts where you can use the end. Looks like a Mac System there. I'm currently using a Supertrapp(they bought out Kerker years ago), and these are no longer being made.

The "can" can(play on words?) be purchased without the mounting tabs from www.Supertrapp.com I've done homework on this system, and I'm currently running the baffle, packing, but not the end cap. Sounds great, and is no where as loud as straight thru.

Also some systems will not allow you to change the oil and/or filter without removing the complete system.

A little 411. I see you running pod filters along with that header. You do know you need to rejet when running pod filters and a header system, right?<br><br>Post edited by: CoreyClough, at: 2006/11/16 22:22

Thanks for the leads and direction, I'm going to try and do a little research tomorrow and see if I can find a marking or a match to something to get things rolling.

And yes, for the record, I knew about rejetting. I've already swapped the jets and moved them on the clips. I was having a lot of trouble with running lean when I bought new pods (I guess the old ones were really restrictive) and finally got it lined out and running great. If anything I think I'm a tad rich right now. My biggest fear is that I'll swap the muffler or add baffles and end up far too rich and have to pull it back apart. Once I get/build my own manometer I suppose it won't be so bad, but now it's just a hassle.

Adding Exhaust Baffles 19 Nov 2006 07:52 #93131

• rammy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I had lost my baffle a few years ago for my 77 650 b1 which had a Hooker Header (which they quit making some time ago for this bike) So last chance was to make a baffle.I used a piece of 1 1/4" pipe 12" long with a piece of thick sheet metal welded them together after fabing the sheet metal to fit the ID of the collector.Then drilling numberous holes in the piece of pipe.It made the bike quite at idle and at cruising but hang on when you start twisting it up the pipe really starts to talk then. Good luck on the fabbing if you chose to go this way.
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

Adding Exhaust Baffles 27 Nov 2006 05:59 #95309

• NickD
  • User
rammy wrote:

I had lost my baffle a few years ago for my 77 650 b1 which had a Hooker Header (which they quit making some time ago for this bike) So last chance was to make a baffle.I used a piece of 1 1/4" pipe 12" long with a piece of thick sheet metal welded them together after fabing the sheet metal to fit the ID of the collector.Then drilling numberous holes in the piece of pipe.It made the bike quite at idle and at cruising but hang on when you start twisting it up the pipe really starts to talk then. Good luck on the fabbing if you chose to go this way.

I was thinking I'd read that someone on here had done something similar, but instead of drilling holes they'd cut slits along the circumference of the round tube and knocked one side of the slit down into the pipe a bit. I can't find where I saw it, though, but I was considering trying that too. I may fab up one of these while I shop for a can (I'd like something with a smaller diameter so it doesn't drag w/ a passenger). If it turns out nice I may just leave it be.

How much back pressure did you gain by putting that in? Also, did you put an end cap of any sort on it, or just slide the baffle in with the center pipe and fins showing from the rear?

Adding Exhaust Baffles 28 Nov 2006 12:19 #95686

• rammy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
if you go to this web site street.parts-unlimited.com/ they have different size baffels if you dont want to build one.To answer you ?? about back pressure It did make a very small change but not enough to screw with the carb jetting.I did put an end cap on it to secure it to the megaphone and nothing on the inner end just the open end of the pipe.there isnt any wrap on mine either.

Post edited by: rammy, at: 2006/11/28 15:30
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

• Page: