Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

need more help guys 08 Nov 2006 09:28 #90477

• Brown
  • Brown's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
[/b]here my problem sitting here looking and reading too big of cc over heating,here what i've clutch basket welded,trans undercut,900-bottom end,having crank trued/welded,w/knife rods installed,ape 425,dyna s cam,oversized valves,new guides installed oversizes,oil cooler,now here the problem want too keep the 1015 cyl.what size kit would best suit street riding and good performance and not overheat long as i'm moving.but will up grade i've some new 1385cc piston just sitting in shade,need block and sleevs no problem what type of preformance would this 1385cc with above item give would this kit have a overheating problem :whistle: :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

need more help guys 08 Nov 2006 09:33 #90478

• 79MKII
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
  • Thank you received: 43
Well, I can only say that my 1229 kit (stock cylinder bored and sleeved) had no problems riding thousands of miles in scorching heat. I do have an oil cooler that probably helps. I'm thinking the 1385 might be a bit too big because I have heard that the big blocks don't cool as well because they have less cooling fins. Maybe someone with real experience will chime in...

I forgot to mention my compression ratio, which would make quite a big difference. Mine is the street ratio of 10.5:1. I wouldn't recommend the race compression for the street.

Post edited by: 79MKII, at: 2006/11/08 16:01
The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

need more help guys 08 Nov 2006 10:59 #90496

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
what is compression ratio of your 1200?

need more help guys 08 Nov 2006 12:25 #90515

• Brown
  • Brown's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
10;2/5.1 -possible 11;1

need more help guys 08 Nov 2006 13:32 #90535

• Ron G
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I believe that a lot of what you're reading is speculation. My big block 1260 does not overheat. The oil temperature is typically between 200-220F.

Ron

need more help guys 08 Nov 2006 19:12 #90626

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I like high compression ratios myself. Modern streetbikes run around at 12:1. I have a 12:1 1075cc going into my race bike. Modern fuels can handle 12:1 just use good hi-test 94 octane gas. I ran 11.04 in 1/4 with stock 1015 pistons. With a bit of work could have run 10's with a stock pistoned bike easily.

need more help guys 08 Nov 2006 20:42 #90652

• 9sec1000
  • User
The newer bikes being high compression run great and obviously you are going to make more power you have to keep in mind the newer models are liquid cooled motors and are NEW. Kz' are a 30 year old air cooled motor that are about as simple as they come compared to what we have today. The kz's are extremely hard to make fast but, that is one of my main attractions to them. Ex. anyone could put a hyabusa in the 9's with little modifications, on the other hand, you have to spend alot of time, money, and knowledge to put a kz in the 9's with a factory block and head! With my experience I tend to shy away from the higher compression motors on the street for two main reasons: reliabilty and longevity. once the kz's get above 10.5:1 they seem to wear faster, break easier, and I have definately experience problems with gaskets. Also, I would not recommend powder coating cylinders or cylinder heads due to the amount of heat they withhold. I personally feel that the biggest ally you have in your build is always the cylinder head. If you get the right setup with cams, valves and an excellent port and polish tech. you can have a pretty wicked street bike even if its only a 1000cc motor. Thats my opinion, and believe me I stress opinion b/c I'm just one guy tinkering in the garage! :)

Post edited by: 9sec1000, at: 2006/11/08 23:43

need more help guys 08 Nov 2006 21:03 #90657

• wireman
  • Visitor
9sec1000 wrote:

The newer bikes being high compression run great and obviously you are going to make more power you have to keep in mind the newer models are liquid cooled motors and are NEW. Kz' are a 30 year old air cooled motor that are about as simple as they come compared to what we have today. The kz's are extremely hard to make fast but, that is one of my main attractions to them. Ex. anyone could put a hyabusa in the 9's with little modifications, on the other hand, you have to spend alot of time, money, and knowledge to put a kz in the 9's with a factory block and head! With my experience I tend to shy away from the higher compression motors on the street for two main reasons: reliabilty and longevity. once the kz's get above 10.5:1 they seem to wear faster, break easier, and I have definately experience problems with gaskets. Also, I would not recommend powder coating cylinders or cylinder heads due to the amount of heat they withhold. I personally feel that the biggest ally you have in your build is always the cylinder head. If you get the right setup with cams, valves and an excellent port and polish tech. you can have a pretty wicked street bike even if its only a 1000cc motor. Thats my opinion, and believe me I stress opinion b/c I'm just one guy tinkering in the garage! :)<br><br>Post edited by: 9sec1000, at: 2006/11/08 23:43

sounds like a pretty sound opinion to me,just dont go overboard on the porting and stuff a set of 1197s in there!:evil: oh yea if you want to go to a 1385 later id have the cases bored for the bigger sleeves now to save having to tear bottem end apart later.
Attachments:

need more help guys 09 Nov 2006 07:28 #90728

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
Wireman hows your 1428 turbo for heat? If you dont have trouble maybe Brown should start with the 1385 since he already has the pistons.What do you think?
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

need more help guys 09 Nov 2006 07:39 #90731

• wireman
  • Visitor
its sitting in arkansas with a few other projects in a safe spot where i cant tear it apart!:P im supposed be going back down there here pretty soon,if i get down there ill blow the dust off the ol beast and take a picture of it.ive got an old picture of it when i was setting up the suspension in my dining room in early 90s(anybody see a pattern forming here?:whistle: :P )ill get it put on disk and post it if i can find it,ill try and get some 1385 progress pictures this weekend if i can get solomrus off his couch now that hes in my avatar! :P

need more help guys 09 Nov 2006 11:44 #90769

• solomrus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
wireman wrote:

ill try and get some 1385 progress pictures this weekend if i can get solomrus off his couch now that hes in my avatar! :P

does anyone else feel dirty?

i feel dirty...

i don't wanna be anyone's avatar...

someone please ask *beep* if he ever brought home the new-fangled suzuki v-twin called an sv that he purportedly purchased nigh-on a month ago. 8^P

i want to ride it. i'll feel less dirty.

on topic... small engine, big turbo. remember that. small engine, big turbo. boost, the only viable replacement for displacement. 8^)

--r

Post edited by: solomrus, at: 2006/11/09 14:45
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

need more help guys 09 Nov 2006 17:30 #90865

• wireman
  • Visitor
solomrus wrote:

wireman wrote:

ill try and get some 1385 progress pictures this weekend if i can get solomrus off his couch now that hes in my avatar! :P

does anyone else feel dirty?

i feel dirty...

i don't wanna be anyone's avatar...

someone please ask *beep* if he ever brought home the new-fangled suzuki v-twin called an sv that he purportedly purchased nigh-on a month ago. 8^P

i want to ride it. i'll feel less dirty.

on topic... small engine, big turbo. remember that. small engine, big turbo. boost, the only viable replacement for displacement. 8^)

--r<br><br>Post edited by: solomrus, at: 2006/11/09 14:45

plates,insurance and a freakin infection from filling that fell out month ago but freakin dentist couldnt get me in till today to tell me its infected,no freakin $&!t i told him if you could of seen me a month ago it wouldnt be infected!:angry: tells me to take these pills and come back in 2 more weeks,somebody please put a bullet in my head so i can just dieeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im leaving that 650 suzuki to solomrus in my will so he will quit bugging me about it!NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUrse!:blink: :S :unsure: :huh: :dry: :blush: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:

• Page: