Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

'80 ST vs. MKII 05 Nov 2006 21:00 #89908

• wickedquick
  • wickedquick's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Someone educate me - there doesn't seem to be alot of info around about the ST. From what I've read the MKII was the Super Sport and the ST was the Sport Tourer. I've gathered that the motors are mostly the same. How much does that shaft drag compared to a chain? I have heard that the ST is geared a little short. How much difference in the suspension setup? Weight difference? Performance difference? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'80 ST vs. MKII 05 Nov 2006 22:58 #89923

• jimmybon
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I converted an ST engine to a chain drive once, simply remove the lower case, change the drive shaft with a Mk2 then rebuild with a Mk2 gear selector cover.
Other z1000 chain drive models could be compatable as well
74 Z1A900 original
74 Z1A900 stone replica
74Z1A900 barn find
77 Z650B1 Hybrid
81 z650 PIG camp bike
06 ZRX1200R cafe racer project
S1000xr

'80 ST vs. MKII 06 Nov 2006 06:37 #89943

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The swingarms are totally different as well. The ST swingarm is actually TWO short swingarms that each pivot on their own needle bearings. The swing arm itself is one sided and integrates the hollow shaft that the drive shaft runs through. If you switched to chain, I suspect you would have to swap out the swingarm and rear wheel to accomodate a sprocket. I am not sure if the rear caliper would then work with the rotor that was used... lots of small fitment issues.

Just for the record, the MKII engine is favored by racers not because it is faster but because the cases are beefed up. A Z1 bottom end and KZ1000 cylinder will actually outrun the MKII on the street as the Z1 crank is a lot lighter... not as strong but will spin up faster. I am not sure the additional strength is required on the street... I have a couple of KZ900s (same crank as the Z1) and a couple STs and I suspect the KZ900 is actually quicker due to the ST heavier crank and about a hundred pounds of extra pork. The ST is a lot more stable on the road and a bit taller as well. The ST is FAR more comfy as both my missus and I can ride on it where that isn't so with the KZ900.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

'80 ST vs. MKII 06 Nov 2006 06:59 #89946

• KZ1000_Rider_1955
  • User
>>A Z1 bottom end and KZ1000 cylinder will actually outrun the MKII on the street as the Z1 crank is a lot lighter... not as strong but will spin up faster.

On what bike would such a combination exist?

'80 ST vs. MKII 06 Nov 2006 07:03 #89947

• wiredgeorge
  • User
On any bike where you use a Z1 lower end and KZ1000 cylinder/pistons. I think from a performance standpoint, a stock Z1 head is as good as a stock KZ1000... exhaust studs are 8mm on the KZ1000 but otherwise the valves are the same. If you use a KZ1000 head on a Z1 bottom end, make sure it isn't a MKII head with the MKII cams. You will have to use Z1 cams as there are more teeth on the MKII cams I think because there are more teeth on the timing chain crank sprocket on a MKII. The cam chain on a Z1 has 122 links and 124 for the MKII as a result.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

'80 ST vs. MKII 06 Nov 2006 16:42 #90082

• wickedquick
  • wickedquick's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Well I have no plans for converting to chain - I was just interested in the differences in the 2 bikes and how much behind the MKII the ST is performance wise. I'm sure somebody has run their ST at the strip on test tune night. If not I just might.

'80 ST vs. MKII 06 Nov 2006 19:38 #90147

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Do the shafty's clutch not have extra spring? Making it a good aquisition for any KZ, GPZ or Z1.

'80 ST vs. MKII 07 Nov 2006 05:29 #90207

• wiredgeorge
  • User
The clutch does have an extra spring but I think it is also larger diameter and won't fit the KZ/Z1 family. Perhaps if you swapped everything out? Not sure... At least on the ST... not sure about the MKII but I would guess it is the same clutch as the ST...
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: