Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Product Report - MAC 4 into 2 20 Oct 2006 17:52 #85847

• wiredgeorge
  • wiredgeorge's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Purchased a new Mac 4 into 2 black ceramic coated set of pipes from an eBay seller a few months ago and just installed them. Thought you might like to hear my thoughts on the Mac exhaust, their company's quality control and the product...

The 4 into 2 system included two sides where two collector pipes are welded into one. Then you just slip some mufflers on. Seemed easy enough when I took it out of the box. The system was sold as a direct fit for a 1979/80 KZ1000E1/E2 and is no longer made. It is gloss black and ceramic coated. With this system, you don't use OEM flanges as they have flanges on the pipes. The first problem with the system is that the holes in the flanges are not big enough to accomodate 8mm studs. I had to actually cut the ends out of one end of the flange holes and reem the other flange hole out as they had about 1/2 the hole covered in ceramic coating. I used a dremmel with cut off to cut the one side of each flange. Next, the pipes were not welded on a jig that was set up correctly. On both sides, the head pipes were about 1/2 too close and I had to force the pipes apart to get them to sit in the exhaust ports and use a big levering screwdriver to force them into place. Of course, the ceramic coating chipped off wherever the bolts were installed... just fell off. Their "instuctions" said the coating was prone to chipping and to touch it up with hi-temp black. One muffler slipped on easily and the other had to be hammered into place with a 2x4 and BFH as the OD of the head pipe was noticeably bigger on that side.

All in all, I was happy that a company like Mac would hire the handicapped to weld this stuff up. It was clear why they quit selling the ceramic coating although once I use about a quart of touch up, it should look OK. This is my first Mac system and will very likely be the last. The old adage, "you get what you pay for" holds true. Well, the thing is on now and that is where it will stay as I doubt I could get it apart without a blow torch hehe. Pics to follow in the projects folder... right now I don't want to think about the pipes...
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Product Report - MAC 4 into 2 20 Oct 2006 20:03 #85880

• wireman
  • Visitor
that sucks i always thought their quality control was a little on the low end of the scale,vance and hines has really gone down hill on the last couple headers ive had experiance with also.;)

Product Report - MAC 4 into 2 21 Oct 2006 05:10 #85926

• Exitpupil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
That being case, who still has good quality? I was looking to buy a chrome pipe in the spring to replace my ugly painted one.
79 KZ1000 LTD B3, 1075 kit, BS34 carbs, high velocity ported heads, K410 cams, V&H pipe w/custom baffle

Product Report - MAC 4 into 2 21 Oct 2006 06:22 #85935

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
I reinterate the words of Wireman "That sucks!".:huh: :blink:

Product Report - MAC 4 into 2 21 Oct 2006 06:28 #85938

• roy-b-boy-b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
No comment!;) Roy
1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

Product Report - MAC 4 into 2 21 Oct 2006 14:20 #86036

• KawasakiJockey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I bought a chrome Kerker for the LTD and it was fine quality from fit to finish. I used a Mac on my 440 back in 88 and agree that it is poor qual. fit and looks disappointing compared to v&h or kerker.

• Page: