Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1000 cam chain replace -need hints 15 Oct 2006 12:20 #84494

• Bob_79KZ
  • Bob_79KZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm gonna replace the 27 year-old cam chain on my 79 KZ1000 St. It's 124 links I believe.

I don't really want to split the cases to do that. Where can I get a cam chain with a master link and has anyone of you used one and what kind of luck have you had with it?

Is there one brand that's better than the others?

What are the pitfalls of doing it this way? Should I remove the cams first?

Any good hints or tips to make the job easier and safer to do?

Thanks for looking,
Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000 cam chain replace -need hints 15 Oct 2006 14:27 #84515

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1544
You have to remove the cams. And the head. And,if I'm not mistaken, the cylinder block.
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

KZ1000 cam chain replace -need hints 15 Oct 2006 14:47 #84519

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
you just need to take off the cam cover and take out the cams if you use the master link style, if you want to put in an endless chain you will need to split the cases. you can get everything you need from Z1Enterprises, parts and tools
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

KZ1000 cam chain replace -need hints 15 Oct 2006 15:29 #84527

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
I've done them before with a master link. Yamaha master links used to fit Tsubaki cam chains. It's a practice I don't like to suggest, but it can be done. I don't remember which model Yamaha master link I used. I went to the Yam dealer and they had several to select from. I looked them over very carefully and picked one.

To do it properly, you should have a special tool that peens over the pins on the masterlink. I don't suggest trying it with vice grips. You want it right.

In all regards, if the bike is to the point where you need a cam chain, it's a good idea to go through the top end of the motor anyway. Check guides, get a valve job and quite likely at least hone the block and install new rings. As long as it's that far down, it's not much further to yank the cases and split them.

Two schools of thought....the right way....the economical way...

KZ1000 cam chain replace -need hints 15 Oct 2006 17:43 #84560

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
larrycavan wrote:

In all regards, if the bike is to the point where you need a cam chain, it's a good idea to go through the top end of the motor anyway. Check guides, get a valve job and quite likely at least hone the block and install new rings. As long as it's that far down, it's not much further to yank the cases and split them.

Two schools of thought....the right way....the economical way...

By splitting the case you can put the good Tsubaki chain in it. If you are not sure about the number of links you need, count the teeth on the cam sprocket. A 79 should have 32 teeth, that would be a 124 link chain. 30 tooth would be a 122.

Jay

KZ1000 cam chain replace -need hints 16 Oct 2006 06:10 #84654

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Hey Bob! 124 link chain is the correct one for the ST. You have to remove the valve cover and cams and cam chain idler assembly (the guide in the middle of the head on top). Take a wire and wire up your old chain so you don't lose in into the engine. Cut it with a cut off wheel or buy a chain breaker tool but it needs to come apart. Buy a 124 link w/master link from Z1Enterprises. Use the master link to fasten the new chain to the old and drag it around your crank sprocket. Put the master link in place on your new chain. Now the hard part... you have to peen the ends of the master link so a buddy will be needed if you leave the head on the bike. Somebody will have to hold and brace the side of the chain while you use a punch to peen or stake the ends of the pins on the master link. It is easier to do with the head and block off as you can drag the chain over to the left rear motor mount and hold it up against the mount and pound on it there but it CAN be done with the head on. I have the Motion Pro cam chain tool and while it breaks the old chain nicely, I can't figure out how to use it to stake the new master link.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

KZ1000 cam chain replace -need hints 16 Oct 2006 09:40 #84694

• Bob_79KZ
  • User
WG;Larry; I think I'm going to try the master link system of replacing the cam chain. I really don't have the time or equipment to split the cases.

The bike doesn't smoke and has pretty good compression for such an oldie so no rings this time.

I might get one of those chain splitter things that claim to be able to rivet the master link back on.

What's the worse that could happen? Link pop off...bend all the valves, punch holes in the pistons...destroy the head...No problem, right?

Thanks for all the great advice...I'm still shopping around for just the right stuff.

Bob

KZ1000 cam chain replace -need hints 16 Oct 2006 09:53 #84696

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
I did my old KZ650 the method Wired George mentioned. It was quick and easy. I didn't have any special tools, just visegripped the master link together then with a chisel and a hammer tryed to beat up the pins enough to insure the master link would not come loose. I only ran 16,000 more miles with this setup before retiring the engine but had no problems. 150,000 on the original camchain.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

KZ1000 cam chain replace -need hints 16 Oct 2006 10:17 #84700

• rgpbeme
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Try using a c-clamp to ping the master link.

Take a good one, cut the wobble end off and then you can unscrew the t-handle. Sharpen the end to a point. screw it back and you have a small pointed press

KZ1000 cam chain replace -need hints 16 Oct 2006 11:05 #84709

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Good idea... the hardest part is punching or peening or staking or whatever you call the ends that go through the side plate on the master link. There isn't a lot of side pressure on the links and I suspect if you have a normal street bike, a master link chain that is staked properly will work fine. Bob, please share the info you have on tools to do the reassmemble part, if you have found one. I like the c-clamp idea rgpbeme came up with... it is likely far easier than trying to beat the thing with a pin punch or chisel since there isn't a great way to brace the work. I will give it a try next time I do this job. I prefer to split the cases and just slip a new chain over the crank but the cost of a gasket set and thought of scraping all those case cover gaskets leaves me cold hehe If you uncomfy with staking the pins yourself, take a close look at how they are done from the factory... the factory uses some sort of machine to stake the pins on the other links...
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

KZ1000 cam chain replace -need hints 16 Oct 2006 12:54 #84733

• Bob_79KZ
  • User
Maybe what a guy should do is take the old cam chain and practice riviting the master link on. You'd have to buy a half dozen or so master links. Still cheaper than a complete tear down.

124 link chain would give you a lot of chain to practice on. You'd be an expert in no time!!!

Does the chain dangle low enough below the crankshaft that you can feed it through without turning the crank?

Or do you need to turn the crank to get the chain to feed through?

With the camshafts removed the valves would all be closed so no chance of bending a valve, right?

Ok, still shopping for parts,
Thanks WG, Ron, rgp,Jay

Bob

KZ1000 cam chain replace -need hints 17 Oct 2006 04:15 #84882

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
Most definitely count your cam sprocket test. Kawasaki slipped a mixed bag of engines in their frames in 79. Some had 32 and some had 34. My 79 LTD was one with 32 teeth and the smaller 15T crank.

• Page: