Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Shift shaft oil seal guide 27 Sep 2006 04:13 #79948

• EsaPro
  • EsaPro's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Just what is this animal, and has anyone improvised something else for the purpose? I am getting ready to change the oil filter, and the kawi manual says:

"Put on the engine sprocket cover using the shift shaft oil seal guide (special tool) to protect the oil seal in the cover, and tighten its bolts (4)"

Of course, I don't have one (Does anyone?). I understand (I think) that it is designed to guide the cover back over the seal around the shift shaft opening without damaging it and causing an oil leak. Is it vitally important? How bad can one muck things up without it?
Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Shift shaft oil seal guide 27 Sep 2006 05:53 #79966

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Whoa! Are you needing to do this as part of an oil change? I think that the oil change doesn't require taking off an engine cover! The shift shaft oil seal is about 1" diameter and is rubber. It is press fit into the countershaft sprocket cover. I have never seen a special tool to protect this seal and doubt one is needed to remove and reinstall the cover. Again, the cover doesn't have much to do with changing the oil so hope I misreading the reason for the cover removal. You can pull the cover and reinstall it; just don't JAM the external shift mechanism into the seal but gently guide the shift mechanism into the seal when reinstalling. If you are changing the seal, I use a socket to drive it into the recess where the socket diameter is the same as the outside edge of the seal.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Shift shaft oil seal guide 27 Sep 2006 06:01 #79967

• wireman
  • Visitor
ditto.;)

Shift shaft oil seal guide 27 Sep 2006 10:40 #80037

• ronjones
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
wiredgeorge wrote:

Whoa! Are you needing to do this as part of an oil change? I think that the oil change doesn't require taking off an engine cover!... quote]

On my '82 twin, you do have to remove the front chain sprocket cover to get to the oil filter, evidently you must do the same w/this '79. What, I think, your instructions are trying to say is that you use the shift shaft as a guide to putting the cover back on. You slide the cover on the shift shaft and all the bolt holes then line up correctly. I'm not aware of needing a special tool in order to do this, as I've had this cover off and on many times during my rebuild, but I don't believe that I have an oil seal in this cover, since behind this cover there is nothing to leak oil. There is a seal where the shaft enters the engine, though but this is behind the cover.
Ron

Post edited by: ronjones, at: 2006/09/27 13:41

Post edited by: ronjones, at: 2006/09/27 13:41

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Shift shaft oil seal guide 27 Sep 2006 13:08 #80081

• wireman
  • Visitor
i stand corrected,thats why i shouldnt answer questions about twins!:P

Shift shaft oil seal guide 27 Sep 2006 14:12 #80087

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
Yes, the 750 twins require side cover removal for access to the oil filter. Yes, it's a pain in the ass. Yes, you have to remove the footpeg, and shift lever too.

Fortunately, there's still a drain plug at the bottom of the case! It would be kind of silly to have to tilt the bike on its side to drain all the oil out.

Hey EsaPro, you don't need the tool. I have no idea what it is, but you don't need it. I've done may a filter change without it.

On a side note, I've taken to changing my OIL around every 1500 miles, and the FILTER every other oil change...
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Shift shaft oil seal guide 27 Sep 2006 14:32 #80088

• ibsen22000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Biquetoast wrote:

Hey EsaPro, you don't need the tool. I have no idea what it is, but you don't need it. I've done may a filter change without it.

Biquetoast, this tool was designed to prevent the splines on the shift shaft from cutting and damaging the inner lip on the oil seal. You insert it into the oil seal from the outside of the cover, then when you put the cover on the shift shaft will go through the seal guide. When the cover is on you just pull the seal guide off the shaft.

Attachments:

Shift shaft oil seal guide 27 Sep 2006 17:26 #80119

• EsaPro
  • User
Thanks guys! I feel better now... now that I went ahead and changed the filter without the funky little tool. I can see how the slines for the gear shift lever could booger up the rubber seal around it, but then again, just what is it sealing? Chain grease that flies off the front sprocket? PLENTY of that under that there cover. I was pleased to see the filter I took out looked almost as good as the new one I was putting in, but also bummed thinking "I went through all this @#$$%$%, to replace a great looking oil filter?".

Anyhow, thanks again, and since everyone LOVES pics... here is one of the oil filter area of my bike.
Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)
Attachments:

Shift shaft oil seal guide 27 Sep 2006 17:26 #80120

• EsaPro
  • User
And one of the old filter. Hmmmm, maybe I can ebay this sucker... ;)
Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)
Attachments:

• Page: