Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Oil Capacity 25 Sep 2006 14:51 #79504

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • letthegoodtimesroll's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
What is the oil capacity on a GPZ750? Marked on the side of my 77KZ650 it says 3500cc which is 3.5 liters. I have an oil cooler from a 750 on my bike and I just want to make sure bringing the oil up to the window marks(site glass) is enough. Thanks
1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Oil Capacity 25 Sep 2006 16:23 #79522

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
I just took a look at my Haynes manual which covers the GPz - also called the Z750 R1 model and it says 3L without filter and 3.5L when changing the oil filter. In fact it says that for all the 4 cylinder 750 models. Tell you the truth I never measure the oil volume when changing. I just fill to the middle of the oil window and then add a bit so it just reaches the top of the window since my oil cooler is an aftermarket addition. I think the GPz came with an oil cooler. Hope this helps.

Post edited by: JR, at: 2006/09/25 19:27
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Oil Capacity 27 Sep 2006 14:45 #80089

• Murphyau
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
The following method will work for just about any engine.

Add new oil until the oil level is about 2/3rd up the sight glass.

Now start the engine, and let it idle for 2 ~ 3 minutes. This circulates the oil through the engine, oil cooler and cylinder head.

Now stop the engine, wait 2 ~ 3 minutes and re-check the oil level. Most likely you will need to add/top up the oil so that it is again 2/3rd up the sight glass.

A fair amount of oil stays in the camshaft / cylinder head area but it does drain back into the sump over time. If you check the oil level after the bike has been standing idle for a while (say over night) or after you have just done an oil change and not started the engine, you will get a false reading.

Post edited by: Murphyau, at: 2006/09/27 17:48

Oil Capacity 27 Sep 2006 15:29 #80097

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • letthegoodtimesroll's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Does the oil from the cooler come back down into the pan when the engine isn't running? If this is the case, would the oil level not be low (in comparison to a non cooler engine)after the engine starts?
1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

Oil Capacity 27 Sep 2006 16:50 #80116

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
Thats why I give mine that little bit extra and fill until the level just reaches the top of the window. I did find in the past that if the oil level was in the lower half of the window then I stood a good chance of having the oil light come on.

Oh yeah. I do what murphyau suggests. Fill approx and then run for a minute or two and then give a final top up

Post edited by: JR, at: 2006/09/27 19:53
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Oil Capacity 27 Sep 2006 19:06 #80151

• Murphyau
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
letthegoodtimesroll wrote:

Does the oil from the cooler come back down into the pan when the engine isn't running? If this is the case, would the oil level not be low (in comparison to a non cooler engine)after the engine starts?

It depends on how the oil cooler is configured. On a KZ650, the hoses to the oil cooler typically attached to the bottom of the cooler which means that the oil will return to the sump once the engine is stopped. But the return is quiet slow, particularly when the oil is cold.

And to answer your question, yes, the oil level will be low(in comparison to a non cooler engine)after the engine starts. However, it probably wont be that low as to cause any engine damage.

So, just start the engine to circulate the oil thru the engine, then re-check the level.

• Page: