Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

zn700 shift shaft seal help 22 Sep 2006 19:19 #78856

• gbxkb
  • gbxkb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm in the process of changing the shift shaft seal on my 84 zn700, and I can't get the friggin front bevel gear case off. I've gotten all the bolts out and the drive shaft is disconnected, but that case is stuck on there! Any ideas on how to pull that thing out? There aren't many places to hold on to or get some leverage on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

zn700 shift shaft seal help 22 Sep 2006 20:57 #78868

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
I've been eyeballing the parts diagram for this on the buykawasaki.com website since I plan on tackling the same leaking seal on my ZN tomorrow.

From what I can tell, to remove the final drive bevel case (not the outer engine cover that the shift pedal bolts to that the bevel case sits behind), the 20mm nut that bolts to the end of the bevel shaft (output shaft) needs to be removed first, and then the bevel case should slide right out.
Pay special attention to the order and location of all shims and collars that are removed, as they should be reinstalled in the same order when reassembling everything.

And last but not least;
While standing on your left foot and swinging a Tequilla drunk squirrel over your head in a counter-clockwise rotation, pray for the wisdom, patience, and the same strength and dexterity that the lil' SOB's who initially assembled all of our bikes had! :blink: :pinch:

Good luck to the both of us. I think we're really going to need it! :S :woohoo:
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

zn700 shift shaft seal help 22 Sep 2006 21:58 #78876

• geerbangr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
GB,I think there are 11 bolts holding the front bevel case on,if your positive you have all the bolts out,clutch disconnected,get a rubber mallet or a 2 or 3 pound hammer(don't use the hammer head)use the handle end and bump the bevel gearcase loose,it may take a few strikes but it will come apart,do not take the nut off under the dust cover or you have to go through the bearing preloading process,once you strike the gearcase loose the entire gearcase will come off,hollar if you have anymore questions.:whistle:

Post edited by: geerbangr, at: 2006/09/23 00:59
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

zn700 shift shaft seal help 22 Sep 2006 22:09 #78879

• gbxkb
  • User
hmm, I don't know about having to go through all of that disassembly process. The manual I'm going by doesn't mention anything about removing the nut at the end of the bevel shaft. It seems that the bevel gear shaft should come out with the gear case. The case should come right off without having the remove some of the internals. Maybe I just gotta pull harder or get knife in there and start cutting the gasket apart. I see that you're in Covina. I'm from West Covina.

zn700 shift shaft seal help 22 Sep 2006 22:26 #78882

• gbxkb
  • User
hmm, now that I look at it, how disconnected does the clutch have to be? I've only unhooked the clutch cable. There is an extra bolt on the housing that I didn't take out because I thought it held down a part of the clutch mechanism.

zn700 shift shaft seal help 22 Sep 2006 22:29 #78883

• geerbangr
  • User
Gb the clutch release mechanism will come out with the gearcase,as long as you have the cable disconnected that's all you need to do,that being said,all bolts out,get a hammer like i said and strike the gearcase,i left a couple bolts in the gearcase that way it didn't hit the floor once i got it broke loose.
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

zn700 shift shaft seal help 23 Sep 2006 11:50 #78961

• gbxkb
  • User
well, I got the housing and the seal off today. Yes, whacking it hard with a hammer helps alot. Got the new seal on and now to just reinstall everything. It helps alot to use the old shaft seal as the driver for the new seal too, retrorice. Hopefully there won't be any leaks when I've gotten everything back together. :unsure:

zn700 shift shaft seal help 23 Sep 2006 15:01 #78997

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
I'm really glad you chimmed in here geerbangr! :)
I was just going by what the diagram showed and assuming the way it should have been done.

I was planning on going the route that I suggested to gbxkb, and that would have literally been a nightmare!

Well, I just got back from the dealer and am not a happy camper.
I spoke with the "kid" at the parts department over the phone the other day to confirm that they had the seal in stock. It took him 5 minutes to find my model in their puter, and then almost another 10 minutes to find the seal on the diagram! :pinch: I should have initially written the part # down and given him that instead. So he says they have the seal and he will put it on will-call for me.
So I went there today on my way home from work to get the seal, and another parts clerk brings out a seal with almost a 2" ID that has my name on the will-call tag. :huh:
Turns out the other "kid" looked up a crank seal for whoknowswhat model Kawi! :angry:
Lucky for him that he had the day off today, or I would have seen just how far that 2" ID seal would have fit into his.....*insert name of orifice that would bring about the most pain here* :evil:

So I ordered the seal as well as the bevel case gasket. But since it's my main mode of transportation right now, I'll have to deal with yet ANOTHER week worth of leaking until I can fix it next Saturday. :(
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

zn700 shift shaft seal help 23 Sep 2006 23:58 #79123

• geerbangr
  • User
I'm glad i could be of some assistance retro,no need in pulling anything else apart than whats necessary.Not that what you posted was a bad thing,lots to learn when you tear it all apart,lol.The only thing you get into is bearing preload,and checking backlash,not a big deal.I don't even want to get started on these damn parts stores,i prepare myself with proper part numbers before i even attempt to go through their doors,i don't know where they find these kids but :angry: .Oh well if i can help you guys with anything else hollar,i enjoy giving back a fraction of what this board has to offer!!!!:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

• Page: