Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Smog head exhaust port 21 Sep 2006 10:54 #78496

• Exitpupil
  • Exitpupil's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Preparing to switch to larger carbs I pulled the head off my 79 KZ1000 LTD so I could port match the carb holders to the head. I was going to just clean up any rough spots in the ports too. I noticed the "clean air system" has fresh air supply holes in the exhaust ports that are 9mm diameter on the outside radius of the port that looks to my amateur eye like a real turblance creator. Is it worthwhile to plug this hole and reshape that area of the port? This is a street bike, but I would like to free up power if it is available. Any sggestions on a easy way to fill the holes? I was thinking of tapping threads in the hole and making an aluminum threaded rod to screw in then peen it over and grind to the port shape needed.
79 KZ1000 LTD B3, 1075 kit, BS34 carbs, high velocity ported heads, K410 cams, V&H pipe w/custom baffle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Smog head exhaust port 21 Sep 2006 12:06 #78522

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
Man, all that tapping and threading seems like work. For mine I just tapped it to 3/8x24, and used some set screws, but that still left the turbulece-causing hole in the port. Mine will be mostly used for touring, so no big deal. But if I were concerned about top-end I had already decided to find 3/8 aluminum rod, drill the hole out for a press-fit, then have the rod welded at the top end and grind down whatever was sticking out in the port. Welding sure seems to beat threading that much aluminum rod. For that matter, I'd think JB Weld would hold the rod in just fine, it just seems a little bit redneck. Not that there's anything wrong with being a redneck! :whistle: Just my two cents' worth.
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

Smog head exhaust port 21 Sep 2006 16:37 #78573

• Exitpupil
  • User
Would JB weld stand the heat?
Anybody filled and reshaped theirs?
79 KZ1000 LTD B3, 1075 kit, BS34 carbs, high velocity ported heads, K410 cams, V&H pipe w/custom baffle

Smog head exhaust port 21 Sep 2006 16:46 #78574

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
The holes are not straight. You can not push a rod in from the top and have it come out in the port.

I wouldn't trust JB weld in the port.

We used to go to great pains to weld those holes up before porting and found no performance advantage.

Now when we port one of those heads, we tap the top side of the holes 3/8-24 and if the customer wants to block them off, he can screw set screws in the tapped holes.

Jay
The following user(s) said Thank You: guitargeek

Smog head exhaust port 21 Sep 2006 18:22 #78601

• wireman
  • Visitor
i called over today looking for some tech advise,the great jay was busy but i did get to talk to the great tj;)

Smog head exhaust port 21 Sep 2006 19:20 #78615

• Exitpupil
  • User
Thanks Jay. Yes, the holes curve to the top of the head but are sraight enough to tap for a plug of some sort. Your finding no gains tells me on my mild street motor that I don't have to bother with it. Besides the potential turbulance I had wondered if the fresh air draw would weaken the cylinder scavaging.

Smog head exhaust port 22 Sep 2006 11:33 #78769

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
wireman wrote:

i called over today looking for some tech advise,the great jay was busy but i did get to talk to the great tj;)

TJ is the man. He is a racer, altho it is around corners. He has a column "Fast Times" that he does. The link is on our home page. Check it out
www.aperaceparts.com

Jay

Smog head exhaust port 22 Sep 2006 11:47 #78775

• wireman
  • Visitor
cool,thanks again jay!:)

• Page: