Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

love my KZ550, not the blown head gasket... 15 Sep 2006 13:37 #76998

• capncopter
  • capncopter's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i have a new gasket leak on the front side of the #1 cylinder on my '80 KZ550.
everything else on the bike is in good or great condition. it's got ~34,500 miles on it. when i had the valves adjusted @ ~27,000 the mechanic said the internals looked really clean- i change the oil religously every 3,000.

i have tools & a brand new gasket set from Z1 (recommended elswhere in this site) but no room to work in. and i just got a new job that won't allow for the time i'd need to fix it myself, especially with amateur experience, even if i had the space.

to the point- i really need one of two things if i can get them! in order of preference:
1- someone within an hour or so riding distance of SF, that knows KZs, & has the time and space to work on it who'll FIX it (or who can recommend someone who can) so I can keep on riding it OR-
2- someone within an hour or so riding distance of SF, that knows KZs, & has the time and space to work on it who'll BUY it.

the local bike shops are fine but if i'm gonna pay to get it fixed i want cash to go to a Kawi person. the guy i bought the bike from was a Kawi mechanic for a decade or so and use to dragrace KZs in the 80's but he's got too many projects of his own to help on this one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

love my KZ550, not the blown head gasket... 15 Sep 2006 13:45 #76999

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hey, you got a helicopter? How about someone within one hours FLYING distance to work on your bike? That gets you alot further, doesn't it?
You just need a good hunk of rope, and someone to catch the bike when you set it down...

love my KZ550, not the blown head gasket... 15 Sep 2006 15:45 #77024

• capncopter
  • capncopter's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I wish I owned one. I'm a flight instructor and the trainers i fly are small and couldn't haul much more than a picture of my bike.

i'm new to forums so i'm not even sure if my email address shows up to you members. emails and more suggestions are always welcome.

will the top-end gasket set do it, folks? if the engine internals are as healthy as i think they are?

love my KZ550, not the blown head gasket... 16 Sep 2006 05:49 #77131

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
We got a new guy here, someone out there who can give him a real answer? I know it's early for the California folks right now but theres got to be someone in the Bay Area that can help our...

• Page: